CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Thompson / Okanagan —» Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models?
toplefttopfilltopright
Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoopy717

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models? Reply with quote

Garmin imo. I have the eTrex Legend C and it works great for the car, mountain bike and Geocaching.
cbearw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Lowrance I-Finder Expedition C or I-Finder H20 C. All the features of a Garmin with a higher resolution screen, excellent sat lock under tree cover, lower cost, and great customer service. Lowrance GPS recievers are underated and often overlooked in favor of Garmins but they offer a lot of bang for your buck and will stand toe to toe with the very best Garmins. Cool
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

I'm a newbie and am wondering where you get these GPSs. I am looking for best quality of course, but hopefully under the $250 range.
Thanks
LordEd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

I started with a walmart Magellan eXplorist 210. Very basic, used GSAK to build files for it. Worked great.

Got the Oregon 200 from costco on a $50 off deal, including topo maps. The garmin is superior by far with the extra maps and the geocaching functions (search by title, nearby, logs/description on-device).

www.costco.ca/Browse/P...opnav=&s=1
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Thanks LordEd, I was just in WalMart and came across the following:
1. Garmin-eTrex H
2. Garmin-eTrex Legend H
3. Garmin-eTrex Legend HCx
4. Garmin-Dakota 10
5. Garmin-GPSMAP 60Cx
There were some Magellan Products, but I already gather that Garmin is the way to go.
So, do any of these sound good or is the one in Costco that you mentioned the best way to go, without going hog wild in the $$$ department.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models? Reply with quote

If paperless caching is something that you need, then you're not going to get a better deal than $300 for the Garmin Oregon 200 at the Costco link above.

If paperless caching isn't something that you need, then start off with a lower end unit, like the Garmin eTrex Venture HC ($149.99 at both GPCity and GPS Central). Although the Garmin eTrex H is a great little unit, the Venture HC definitely trumps it for geocaching (color screen, topo maps, USB connection, geocaching mode, etc).
LordEd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

I have only used/worked with the eXplorist, Oregon, and a Magellan Triton. I couldn't say much about the other ones.

The nice thing about costco is the return policy is very generous (at least here)
phatbennyb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

keep in mind gpscentral.ca has REALLY REALLY good prices... and no pst and shipping is included.
the have the Garmin 60cx onsale for 224.95 right now... Best band for your buck...
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone so far, and am still on the hunt for the best bang for my $$.
To Teddy2k -- Paperless -- Duh -- what does this mean??
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Ok, I have another question:
Is it good to have a touch screen or does it matter?-- I am currently looking at the Dakota 10 on gpscentral -- it's $310 -- it also says something about being paperless.
Also:
Is it important for it to hold a memory card?

Last edited by Hoodscoop on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models? Reply with quote

The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.

Paperless means just that... you won't need to print off cache pages and other information. It's all stored on the GPSr. This is available on the Colorado, Oregon and Dakota units. With other units, you may find yourself doing a LOT of printing, unless you have a smartphone that you can use to browse geocaching.com (which becomes useless if you're out of cell phone range) or a PDA to store the cache info on.
LordEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

There are a few typical ways to geocache. One of them is to go to the website, print out the cache page, enter the coordinate manually into the GPS, and then go find the geocache. The upside is you don't have to worry about any tech problems with the GPS, but you are also printing a lot of paper to go caching.

Paperless caching is exactly that. All of your geocache information is stored on the GPS or another electronic device. You just need to update it periodically.

With the magellan 210, we could load the coordinates in using the computer, but the cache description, logs, and hints were extremely limited. I used my phone (windows mobile at the time) to store the rest of the information, or else print out pages.

With the oregon, it stores all of the information I need (up to 2000 caches with 5 previous logs / cache) (not including photos on the cache page).
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Ok, Thanks again - I have another ??
So, I have been looking at the map on GC.com and it looks like there can be lots of caches in one area. How do you know (like 2 years later) that you haven't already found that cache before? Will your GPS let you know you have been to these coords before? Is it up to you to go over page after page in your log book? Or, do you keep track on this web site?
Also: Sorry, but am looking at GPScentral and am finding more ?? than answers I'm afraid.
Ok, so some of the Oregons say US topographic and some say US and Canada topographic. Is this something I really need to pay attention to? Cuz I would really like to be aware of any hidden expenses about updating maps or having to buy special maps that are not already in my GPS.

Last edited by Hoodscoop on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
LordEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

When you find and log a cache, it will turn into a smiley face on the website. Typically you reload your gpa now and then. You can filter out caches you have found. On the oregon, I have my finds on it and they appear as an open treasure chest icon.
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Thanks LordEd,
Again, I am looking at GPScentral and there is a list of 8 Oregons to choose from.
Some say Basemaps, some say Topographic, some say US coastal or lakes. Hmmm, dunno what it is I need to look for, although the paperless thing seems like a no brainer!! Smack
LordEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Typically 'basemap' is usually a very basic map that gives you a few indicators (such as maybe a major highway or major water body). At least that's my experience with the magellan 210.

With the costco oregon 200, it included Topo Canada, which is a topographic map set. What that does it allows me to load regions onto a SD card in the GPS and provides a decent set of roads (including some back-roads) and elevation reports. The visual elevation indicators can help you figure out how to get to a cache, while the road maps are useful in driving to the cache. We used to bring my laptop for road purposes to get to caches, but just using the oregon works well for us now and we don't bring it.

The topo maps cost $100ish on their own, i think (not sure).

The oregon 300 and higher have extra features that the 200 doesn't have. I think a digital compass and ability to transmit caches wirelessly between other devices, but nothing that I really deemed necessary to have for my purposes or worth the extra cost.
Restless10101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Well you can always go to Walmart. They do have a 15 day return policy. You could try out the ones they sell there (Oregon 300, e-trex legend, ect...). And if you don't like the one that you get, you could bring it back.
LordEd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

I've returned stuff to costco nearly a year later on warranty.
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

The GPS you want to get is one with a topo map included. There are free versions available online that you can download however it sounds like you don’t want to mess around with downloading things ect. The topo map is the by far the most used style of map for geocaching. Topo being a view from directly above the earth looking straight down. Rather than a car style map where it is more like looking straight ahead at a 45 degree angle.

Topo maps also include terrain marking such as incline increases and decreases ect. To see the difference go to Geocaching.com and on the top right select the I icon and see the different map view such as map,satellite,hybrid, and terrain. The terrain view is the closest match to what a topo map on a gps looks like.

To clarify a bit more many of the older GPS units allowed for only the coordinates of a cache location to be downloaded to them. So if you wanted to have the cache description, hint, and other info with you when hunting for the cache you would have to print the cache page. Most of the upper and newer units allow you to download the coordinates along with all of the other info as well.
MaliBooBoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Stop the presses! Magellan is releasing a unit on Monday specifically for geocaching. It's paperless and will apparently hold 10 000 caches! Those who know me know I am no fan of Magellan, but this unit looks interesting. This is what it supposedly looks like:
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

Where did you find that????
I own a Magellan Triton 400 and a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx, I prefer (and bought) the garmin because it is a much easier/user compatible unit compared to the Magellan. With the garmin I can download right from the gc website to the gps, with the magellan I couldn't Paperbag ***although*** Paperbag with a new and free software update from the magellan website I can go paperless caching. All you have to do is copy-paste the cache description and coordinates to the Vantage Point software that comes with the device and VOILA!
Garmin's are still superior though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

From the forums on gc.com but they seem to have been removed the photos now. Good thing I grabbed the pic when I did. There were a couple of screenshots that I didn't grab but should have.

It seems they will also import all the pics associated with the 10 000 caches and also the attributes for each cache. This model, at least, doesn't have expandable memory so I think you are limited to the basemap that is on the unit (i.e.-no topo).
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit on the market Garmin/Magellan Which Models Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, I saw the Garmin Oregon 300 being cleared out in Walmart in Kamloops so I would assume they might be like that everywhere. It was going for $350. There was also the Colorado too and I think that one was going for $250 if I remember correctly. My preference is the Oregon 300 of the 2 (that's what I have and I love it) but I thought I would let people know the options anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Thompson / Okanagan
Page 1 of 1