CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» geo-caching virgin with many ????
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» geo-caching virgin with many ????
toplefttopfilltopright
geo-caching virgin with many ????
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoodscoop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: geo-caching virgin with many ???? Reply with quote

Ok, so this is first day of navigating into being a veteran Geo-cacher and I have many questions:
1. Do I need to be a member of geo-caching.com first, in order to access Coords of caches?
2. Can I get a list of close to each other caches (cuz it seems that the caches have specific names) or is there a map that I plug in my postal code and they come up on a map or what? Cus when I see the Latest Caches on this site, they all have names but I wouldn't know if this was in the Shuswap or Vancouver Island-- am lost on this point. 3. It says to replace anything you take with something of equal or greater value - so, do you pack a little bag with many small items of different values? Is there a $$ limit?
4. When you choose a cache to go look for -- does it tell you if it is Easy, Hard? or, is it a seasonal cache? or, is it pet friendly?

Sorry, if these kinds of questions seem redundant - but I couldn't find a thread that would answer my questions. Smack
loungelions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: geo-caching virgin with many ???? Reply with quote

Hi there, welcome to caching. I'm sure that you will have a lot of fun once you get going.
Yes, you do need to join geocaching.com and become a member to see the coordinates of the caches there. You can join for free and they don't send spam your way, so go ahead and join.
Once you join, you can put in your home coordinates and then chose "Find all caches closest to home" which will be on the right hand side of your page (it's called something like that at least...I'm not sure of the exact wording). That will give you a list of all the caches in your area in an ever expanding distance away up to 100 miles or so. You can then click on the cache name to get the cache page with further information, hints, etc. Once you are on the cache page, there is a section where you can also chose caches close to that cache which is handy if you are planning a trip further out in one direction or other.
A lot of people just sign logs and don't do trades although if you have kids, trades are always fun for them. Most people do have dollar store items for trade or a signature item that could be handmade or bought by them that they place into caches whether they decide to trade or not.
You will also come across travel bugs and geocoins in caches. They are NOT trade items. You can take them without trading, but you are NOT supposed to keep them. You have to register that you took them (how to is on geocaching.com and it is quite simple) and into which cache you moved them to. Most of them have missions for example to go across Canada or reach Australia, etc. If you can help them on their mission, great...if not, just put them into another cache for another cacher to find them.
I hope that answers some of your questions. If you have any more, just ask. Most people are more than willing to help newcomers.
loungelions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: geo-caching virgin with many ???? Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot your last question. The stars at the top of the cache page tell you the difficulty of the cache and the terrain. You might want to pick difficulty ones to start with until you get more caches under your belt. There are attribute symbols on the cache page on the right hand side that let you know if if is pet friendly, able to do in winter, whether there are thorns, etc.
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: geo-caching virgin with many ???? Reply with quote

Also try Geocacher University www.geocacher-u.com/
as a great resource for caching questions and on Groundspeak (geocaching.com) there is a great page of resources that might help....

www.geocaching.com/res...fault.aspx

Hope you fall in love with caching as much as we love it !
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1