CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Announcements —» Policies —» City of Surrey Policies
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Striped Skunk
Striped Skunk:  [?] . The Striped Skunk is a common sight in the forests and suburbs throughout British Columbia. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Announcements —» Policies —» City of Surrey Policies
toplefttopfilltopright
City of Surrey Policies
Please note that BC Parks and Parks Canada have additional guidelines/restrictions for hiding geocaches. Check here to make sure your geocache meets all requirements BEFORE you place it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Policies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lornix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

I hope this is in the right place.

I would like to place a cache in the city of Surrey and I see that other caches have a note that says "Placed with permission" from the City of Surrey.

I have tried googling a few terms and cannot find the information on how this permission is obtained.

Can anybody point me in the right direction of let me know what the process is to have a cache approved by the city before I submit the hide for publication?

Thanks,

Lorne
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Hi Lorne,

This should give you the information that you need, albeit poorly formatted (I'll add it to my to-do list!).

bcgeocaching.com/index...ent&pid=47
lornix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Teddy2k - Outstanding! Thank you so much for that information! That really helps a whole bunch.

Cheers,

Lorne
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Hey Lornix - if you want to PM me with your email address, I'll send you the template I use for the permission request letters for them (if you don't have one from someone else).
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

It is about a year that this policy has been in existence. There was great angst and trepidation during its discussion.

From the perspective of the various cache owners - has there been any problems, concerns, or has it been smooth sailing?

Has the BCGA received any concerns from the City of Surrey?

Were the fears justified?
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

As the Geocaching liaison for the City of Surrey I haven't heard or had any problems this past year. The process is easy and Parks is willing to work with us on placing caches. Our biggest worry never came to be. I don't think I've been down to the offices since the summer.

A nice feature I like is being able to report on the negative effects others are having in the parks. If you find someone dumping their garden waste in the parks just email and the mess is cleaned up. Find a homeless camp in the park just email and "poof" moving day.

Chewy06 has been name best cache placer by the Parks Department. I heard him being described as "just mean" for a hide too. Either way they like him.

So its all GOOD here in Surrey.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Boy, you put one cache out there that's actually intended to be hard... LOL I'll blush nonetheless.

Regardless, we (I hide under my name & for my wife - chris&riley) haven't had any issues with the City at all on this. The policy certainly had us thinking harder about where & how to hide - and for sure many places that we really wanted to put caches but were sure the City wouldnt go for it.

Out of the the dozen and change that have been in City parks or greenspaces they've only asked us to make an adjustment once (Pig Pen - which was originally a medium sized lock&lock - but, in order to put a cache in the area the City was comfortable, it was a bison tube or nothing - and since we *really* wanted to put one there, bison tube it is). Overall though, it's been pretty painless. The City hasnt come back with questions (pig pen excluded) and typically, if i send the letter to them on the weekend, by noon on Monday i have the letter back from them, can't really ask for more. If only groundspeak was that responsive!

Which leads me to the other impact - smaller caches. Since we can't trapse off trail it's meant we've gravitated to sneakier hides with much smaller caches than we would have really liked to have used. I've heard some comments about "micro city", "too bad there's such a small cache here, there's lots of room for a bigger one" etc etc etc. Doesn't really bother me personally, but, I wish the people making those statements were more aware of the policies and spent some time looking around in the areas where the micros are, before criticizing them. Either that, or heck - just stay away. Trust me, i'm working on finding a way to hide an ammo can beside a busy trail, I just don't have it ready yet!

The other disappointing spinoff are cachers criticising us for adjusting a city approved hide rather than archiving and launching a new one. I'd be okay with this if this feedback came from cachers with extensive hiding experience and/or any experience hiding in Surrey, but sadly the most negative feedback comes from cachers with zero hides.

Anyway, my thoughts at least. I'll probably post my template later tonight. It might be useful for someone looking to do some hiding in surrey.
lornix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Sorry haven't been here in a bit.

Great feedback guys!

Chewy ... PM coming
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Cant attach a PDF & can't post my template - it's too big. If anyone wants it - drop me a line.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: City of Surrey Policies Reply with quote

Update for the contact for the City of Surrey:

Hi Surrey Cachers,

Just a quick change for your email address books. I’ll be on maternity leave starting Monday December 6th, so if you would like to request permission to place a geocache in a Surrey Park, please contact Ken Crosby at kbcrosby @ surrey.ca or Rob Landucci at rmlanducci @ surrey.ca and they will be able to help you out.

Thanks,

Nadia
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Policies
Page 1 of 1