CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Light the Geo Torch!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Light the Geo Torch!
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Light the Geo Torch!
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

In conjunction with local geocaching organizations, the BCGA will co-host geocaching events across the province. Light the Geo Torch events will be held on either the first or second weekend in February. This is a great chance for people new to geocaching to mix and mingle with seasoned geocachers.

Thank you to Landsharkz for donating the medals for the events.

There will be eight events across the province:

Campbell River
Chilliwack
Cranbrook
Kamloops
Prince George
Vancouver
Victoria
Williams Lake

Find an event near you and come join in on the fun.   full article.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

I was wondering WHO? would be ocming from the BCGA (besides C2C2C) and if they were going to do a presentation and if so ..On what?

AKA hike n'bike
AKA Kathy
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

When the BCGA asks local reps or volunteers to host an event we like to give them as much reign as possible. Regional representatives know the local geocaching community best. The BCGA sends a package with a few prizes, brochures and the like and gives some minimal guidance. However, how the reps/volunteers handle prize givaways and the general structure of the event is up to them.

There are currently eight events scheduled with possibly a few extra events too. There are only 7 BCGA directors so it would be impossible for the Directors to attend each planned event. There will be a different focus on Geocaching 101 at each event.

Most events will simply be a meet and greet where seasoned geocachers will be asked to mingle with the newbies and answer questions. Sometimes that is the best way to handle the situation instead of formal seminars as formal speeches never address every question newbies may have.
thebeast420

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

Hi i was wandering when the event will be held in victoria
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

Hi thebeast420,

It doesn't look like the cache page has been published for the Victoria event yet. Let me check with scruffster, who is organizing the events, and I'll get back to you.
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

It's been difficult getting all the events organized. The regular representative for the Southern Vancouver Island region will be away so the BCGA had to scramble to get other people to host the event. After a few false starts, Landsharkz graciously volunteered for the job. They were called in very late so the Victoria event, like some others, may be a week later. We'll see.
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

There is a Victoria Light the Geo Torch event scheduled for Feb. 13th but it hasn't been published yet on geocaching.com. However, you can visit the link below to get the details.

www.gcgv.ca/

Geck

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
thebeast420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

sweet thank you
couloir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

In the Interior Geoecachers area, we are hosting an on-snow event at Lac le Jeune. Cachers have to snowshoe, cross-country ski, or hike into the start area, where they can establish base camp at a shelter. 11-12 new caches will be ready for FTF's as cachers will head out across the lake in small groups to find winter-friendly caches. A campfire, woodstove, and picnic tables await returning cachers where hot dogs and hot chocolate will be available. We will be celebrating winter as we light the geotorch!
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

Your event sounds awesome, Doug! I just wish I was able to attend (I'll be in Alberta at the time). Smack
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

The Olympics are fast approaching! Will there be a Vancouver Geo Torch event? I've been breathlessly anticipating the weekly mailout from Groundspeak looking for the event Very Happy Does someone need some help?

A>

(On a side note, wow, I wish I could make the Interior's event!)

Cache stats and map
911turbos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

The Lower Mainland event is in Port Moody on the 6th. Hope to see you there!
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Light the Geo Torch! Reply with quote

:facepalm: Smack

Of course I saw that event. And yet for some reason I still wondered about a Vancouver event.

Don't mind me.

A>

Cache stats and map
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 1