CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» A message from the ISU
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Prince George
Prince George:  [?] . Known as BC's northern capital, Prince George is a bustling city of over 77,000 [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» A message from the ISU
toplefttopfilltopright
A message from the ISU
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

British Columbia will host the Winter Olympics in February. During the games, the Vancouver, Whistler region will witness "the largest domestic security operation in Canadian history." The Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit (ISU) will be scouring all Olympic venues with sniffer dogs. Security will also focus beyond to practice venues across the lower mainland and all transit routes. Whistler village will also be affected along with back country trails. The ISU made it painfully clear that no stone will be left unturned.

With world-wide media attention focused on Vancouver during the Olympics, it's a perfect storm for the geocaching bomb scare heard around the world. For this reason, the BCGA thought it best to take a proactive approach. The BCGA contacted the ISU to give them a heads up on what geocaching is all about.

In response, the ISU issued a gentle but stern warning to geocachers as follows:

"Thank you for e-mail. While we appreciate the heads up, it will be your member's responsibility to "know before they go" hunting for hidden cache. The Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit's mandate is to ensure a safe and secure Games for everyone. This includes security at the Olympic and Paralympic venues, protections of athletes, Olympic family and officials and protective services. Our Vancouver 2010 ISU workforce will be ensuring perimeters around venues are secure and we are asking the public to respect these perimeters and the direction given to them by security officers.

The Vancouver 2010 ISU security workforce consists of a variety of law enforcement personnel (RCMP and 118 other police agencies wearing their respective uniforms) and private security while in the backcountry (Cypress Mountain, Whistler Mountain and Callaghan Valley) and on water, law enforcement will be joined by Canadian Forces personnel.

We are asking your members to exercise common sense when geocaching. For example, it may be best to stay away from a hidden cache if its location may fall within a restricted venue perimeter or the immediate area. Please have your members check out our website www.v2010isu.com which includes links to our partner's websites. We are mere weeks away from the largest domestic security operation in Canadian history and your association's cooperation would be greatly appreciated."   full article.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

Time to disable some Cypress Mountain caches, I guess.

Cache stats and map
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

Unless the Cypress Mountain cache is close to a sporting venue, parking area, staging area, I wouldn't worry about it. The ISU hopefully will not be going to be looking for geocaches along the Baden Powell Trail on the other side of the mountain -- especially if it is under five feet of snow. They will be looking for people, however. My guess is that public access to Cypress Mountain will be closed soon.

Luckily, I haven't seen many small or regular sized caches directly beside the Vancouver venues. Most caches in the downtown core are micros and they wouldn't cause the same threat to the security team.

I noticed a small cache by the Athletes village which may be problematic but it seems to be disabled.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

I've got a camo'd ammo can at the Cypress Look-off and a multi that runs up and down Mt. Strachan. The multi, fortunately, should be completely buried right now and it'll be interesting to see if any of it remains by the time the Olympics have come and gone. The ammo can I plan on grabbing this weekend. No sense to take any risks.

As I recall there's a BC GeoRush cache at Yew Lake too that would be awfully suspicious if people went after it while the Olympics were ongoing. Oh wait, I see it's been disabled for 5 months.

Cache stats and map
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

Picking up an Ammo can -- especially if it is along a travel route up Cypress -- is a good call. A very good call.

I've been looking at all my caches too. But none are close to any sporting areas in Burnaby that will be used for practice venues. So I'm safe. I just wouldn't want to be the one who owns a cache blown up by the ISU. Imagine the media coverage around the world. It's a stigma I wouldn't want to have.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

There's also the very-popular Vancouver Travel Bug Hub which is withing spitting distance of the curling venue (a bucket in a small copse directly within sight of the rink). It'd be awful if all those bugs got blown up.

Perhaps someone on the BCGA should contact the CO (pleinjeu) directly and bring the issue up with him?

A>

Cache stats and map
hollyburn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

He's on it.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Groundspeak. They are very happy that the BCGA is taking a proactive approach. By asking cache owners to voluntarily disable caches beside Olympic venues, we could be saving a lot of people headaches.

Both Groundspeak and the BCGA agree that not all downtown caches have to be disabled. However, Groundspeak did suggest that cache owners write a little paragraph on their pages for the duration of the Olympics. Something to say that "during the Olympics seeking this cache may create additional suspicion and extra caution will be needed when hunting this cache."
wecksing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

I think it's great too, that you folks are proactive on this issue. I was thinking that if I had a GC in the Olympic zone I'd disable it, then remembered I do Smack : Sweeney's. It's a multi that doesn't get many visits, but I'd be happy to disable it if that's advisable. Do you think it's too close for comfort?
wecksing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

I'm also wondering if perhaps mtn man can postpone approving new GCs in the Olympic zone for the immediate future? An event showed up today for a location under the Cambie Street Bridge, posted by a GCer in Maryland... not sure if that is such a great idea given your proactive discussions.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

Wow, how does someone with 18 finds get an event approved in a foreign country? Don't the guidelines about being close to your home coordinates apply to events?

Cache stats and map
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

Aerodoq wrote:
Wow, how does someone with 18 finds get an event approved in a foreign country? Don't the guidelines about being close to your home coordinates apply to events?
Interesting indeed. They have only ever attended one event, see how it goes, I am going to the Olympics on the 18th 19th so I may be able to get down there. It would be fun meeting some mainland cacchers and some ones from out of the country!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

You don't just need to worry about caches being close to sporting venues, there are two right at Canada Place. I checked on one the other day and it is behind fencing, the other one will probably not be too far behind. I contacted the CO for the "arrested" one and he disabled it until after the Olympics. Additionally, there are a large number of non-VANOC sites that caching at may cause concern - ie the cache at Science World - which will be the home of the Sochi 2014 Pavillion; caches around Coal Harbour Community Centre that will be the home of the official Vancouver VIP hospitality but the only one right there is disabled, the other two should be safe. I can't think of all the other places that are Olympic related.

I think Sweeney's should be OK, as should Vancouver Memories as they should be far enough away from David Lam Park.

Granville Island has a lot going on with venues but I think all the caches there will be OK - I have a pretty public one but it is in a clear loc-n-loc with clear markings.

I have been thinking of placing caches for visitors - I think the safest place should be Stanley Park, or perhaps someone would like to have another go at the Inukshuk by Sunset Beach since it was the inspiration for the logo.

I am looking forward to being a part of the Olympics - even if I am going out of town for half of it!
chico_valdez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

I woke up this morning with the express intention of bringing forward the issue of bomb scares during the Olympics, and here I see the front page article. Well done everyone.

The most recent scare in Texas really got me thinking because it was an urban LPC and a further article mentions that they may press charges against the placer of the cache.

bit.ly/5tU96R

It might be helpful to get the word out to cachers that may be travelling to Vancouver regarding seeking caches while they are here. Perhaps a note to some of the more popular podcasts like Podcacher would be useful to spread the word.

Anyway, thanks for helping to protect the sport we love.

chico.
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A message from the ISU Reply with quote

I talked to the event organizers, they said they made the event because they travel with the olympics. This event is modeled after a similar one held in Beijing.
Here is the email
Quote::
I created this event cache because I travel with the Olympics. I have been unofficially appointed the Geo picnic coordinator by some of the other cachers since I am consistently at these events Smile

Being in a new city is a great chance to meet a wide range of people with similar interests!

Last year in Beijing, some of the attendees said they would also be here in Vancouver. So it will be interesting to see if some familiar faces show up.

Hope to see you there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 1