CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Vancouver Island Marmot
Vancouver Island Marmot:  [?] . On the brink of extinction, spotting a Vancouver Island Marmot would be a rare event for any geocacher. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains —» VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
toplefttopfilltopright
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

The BCGA has always been there for organizations that ask for geocaching training when needed. In the past we've helped out Scouts Canada, Tourist organizations around the province, BC Parks, and conducted Civic Park training sessions. And that is just the tip of the iceburg. The BCGA is known as a helpful and well respected association. But we may have networked ourselves into a corner.

The BCGA is receiving many requests this year to help out with Geocaching 101 events in the lower mainland. The demand is exceeding the resources -- especially in the Lower Mainland. But this doesn't have to be the case.

To date we have:

Science World: Victoria Day Long Weekend (entire weekend)
Metro Vancouver Parks:
1)May 8 Pacific Spirit 2 to 4 PM
2)June 5 Capilano 2 to 4 PM
3)June 26 Campbell Valley 2 to 4 PM

The BCGA is committed to these events.

Today I received another request from the West End Community Centre which would like to do workshops in Stanley Park during the spring and summer. I found myself in an awkward position. Saying no. And this is due to the fact that the Lower Mainland does not have a strong volunteer base. There are few people willing to commit to a date. We have tentative commitments at best. That is not good enough if the BCGA is to sponsor geocaching initiatives in the Lower Mainland.

So, I'm asking for your help. We need dedicated people who are willing to commit to at least one or two dates. We need geocachers to step up to the plate.

By submitting a willingness to volunteer on this thread you will not be automatically given a job. You will simply be put on a list of potential volunteers to call.

I personally have no problem organizing these events. I just need a bit of commitment from members.

The BCGA can have Geocaching 101 brochures sent to volunteers and a basic guidelines if the volunteer wishes to use them. You wont be alone.

So please sign up here. If you are a geocacher in the Lower Mainland with some experience, we need your help this summer.

Thanks.
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

All you have to do is ask . . .!

Can probably work around any of those dates with enough notice. I may feel a little more comfortable if there were 2 (or more) for each event but I am willing to help where needed.

Kat
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

We need five volunteers for each event. And a BCGA director will most likely be around to set up.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

One of my wife or I can commit to helping out at Lower Mainland (esp Vancouver-area) events. Depending on the event, both of us might be able to help out, but if we're both there it also means bringing both kids. Which is an iffy proposition sometimes Smile

Cache stats and map
jangor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

Put us down for Campbell Valley Event. Happy to help out.
vnm747

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

I'm off May 8th, and would be happy to help out at Pacific Spirit.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

I'm hoping for five volunteers for each event including myself (or another BCGA director) who will most likely be at all of the events.
Cuddlefish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

I'm all over the Pacific Spirit Park event. I have caches there and that is my backyard. Smile
hollyburn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

The Vancouver events, Pacific Spirit and Science World, are coming up quickly. How are you doing with volunteers? Who is coordinating now?
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

hollyburn wrote:
The Vancouver events, Pacific Spirit and Science World, are coming up quickly. How are you doing with volunteers? Who is coordinating now?

Teddy2k has been following up monthly on the upcoming Metro Parks events including your mentioned Pacific Spirit event. We have continued to agree with them that we can and are willing to work together with them on this project as agree to by last years board. Teddy2k and I will be conducting the classes and have contacted the person at Metro Parks to find out more of the details including how many volunteers we can bring. I will post again as soon as we have heard back.

The Science world event is in limbo right now. The person at Science World who was coordinating the event has changed positions and has confirmed to us they do not know who and or when someone will be continuing on with the work of organizing this event. We will inform you all if we hear back with anything.
marmi_and_tas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Reply with quote

Tas and I are available for May 8th at Pacific Spirit Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Lower Mainland / Coast Mountains
Page 1 of 1