CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Nuvi 760 SD Card
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Revelstoke
Revelstoke:  [?] . Carved Grizzlies frame a town square in Revelstoke. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Nuvi 760 SD Card
toplefttopfilltopright
Nuvi 760 SD Card
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goinggone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

We use the Garmin CSx60 for our caching, but we also have a Nuvi 760 on our dash to guide us to the area.
Whenever we download some pocket queries we run out of space so we have to delete to make room for another one.
We now copied a GSAK file to an SD card so we won't run out of space again so soon. However, the Nuvi is not reading the SD card.
Does anyone use an SD card in their Nuvi?
Does anyone know what the problem might be?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

I too have a NUVI 760 that I also use for caching. I have a SD card and have the same problems you are having which is pretty frustrating. There is a utility that will allow you to download the entire cache page including the past 5 logs - google paperless caching for Nuvi - that I was only able to get to work one time. That was about the time that I needed to update the firmware for a known error, which changed all the other settings. I haven't had a chance to spend a couple of hours undoing and reloading things so I am curious what other people have been able to do
jangor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

goinggone wrote:
We use the Garmin CSx60 for our caching, but we also have a Nuvi 760 on our dash to guide us to the area.
Whenever we download some pocket queries we run out of space so we have to delete to make room for another one.
We now copied a GSAK file to an SD card so we won't run out of space again so soon. However, the Nuvi is not reading the SD card.
Does anyone use an SD card in their Nuvi?
Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Have been doing a bit of research on this and it appears that the SD card can not be used for storing cache information as we usually do in .gpx format.

However the solution seems to be quite easy. If the GPX file is converted to the Garmin POI format, or created in the POI format in GSAK (File>export>Garmin POI) you can then use the Garmin POI loader software to load the file to the SD Card and the unit will read them from there. The unit might ask you if you want to load to internal memory but my understanding is that you can say no and all will work from the card. A 4GB card shoul allow you to store many, many thousands of caches as POIs.

We haven't gone through the process yet but it is on the list for the next couple of days.
goinggone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

Hi Jangor (forgot your real name for now),
Thanks for your reply.
I am getting closer, using this website. I have only done the first part, and that was enough to give me a headache, and there are at least two more.
Here is the website...
geocaching.totaltechworld.com
Could you let me know when you got it all done. I may need your help seeing that you are no doubt wayyyyy ahead of me in this kind of stuff.
Thanks,
Peter (goinggone)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

goinggone wrote:
Hi Jangor (forgot your real name for now),
Thanks for your reply.
I am getting closer, using this website. I have only done the first part, and that was enough to give me a headache, and there are at least two more.
Here is the website...
geocaching.totaltechworld.com
Could you let me know when you got it all done. I may need your help seeing that you are no doubt wayyyyy ahead of me in this kind of stuff.
Thanks,
Peter (goinggone)

Not sure if you need all that macro stuff they add. The version of GSAK they were using is 7.2.1.40. The new version 7.2.6.45 has an export Garmin POI option. Going to try without the macro first. It will save a step or two.
jangor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

It seems the macro is not needed.

After the first time you use the POI loader, it is no longer needed. It sets up the file structure on your SD card but after that is done GSAK will do all the work.

If you get all the caches you want into a GSAK database then you can export it as a Garmin POI file directly to your SD card. With the POI Loader, you export as GPX file and the loader converts it to the POI format.

Plug in the Nuvi and when it is in Mass Storage mode, go to GSAK and go to File>export>Garmin POI and then navigate to the POI folder on your SD card (Removable disc ? > Garmin > POI and generate the file.

Disconnect the Nuvi from the computer and when it asks about saving the POIs so they will be available when the card is removed, say NO. Tap the GO icon on the Nuvi, scroll to Extras, tap that and select Custom POIs and there are your caches.

Easy as that. Now if someone can tell me how to get the POIs to show on the map with icons, that would be good.
goinggone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 760 SD Card Reply with quote

Thanks for your latest post. I am not sure what exactly you mean when you say 'navigate to the POI folder on your SD card' because my SD card is totally blank now.
Maybe we could do this by phone? My phone # is 604-866-3112. I could also phone you if you will send me your phone #.
My non-geocaching email: blom04 @ gmail.com
Thanks,
Peter (goinggone)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1