CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Weather affecting your caching?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
S.S. Sicamous
S.S. Sicamous:  [?] . The S.S. Sicamous, the largest remaining steel-hulled sternwheeler in Canada, is located on the southern shores of Lake Okanagan in Penticton. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Weather affecting your caching?
toplefttopfilltopright
Weather affecting your caching?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

We have a CITO tomorrow and it looks like it'll be under a couple of inches of snow. Sad Tough times in Victoria (but the canine loves it Dog ) I'm thinking that it'll be pretty hard to find garbage in those conditions, so we are going to postpone it if it doesn't rain tonight (which is unlikely).

Just wondering how much the caching is being affected across BC as the weather turns? Are people still getting out? Do you have more events? How are you coping?
cartguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

We got out yesterday for a bit in Abbotsford grab five quick caches had planned on doing more but both myself and Bellarama got cold with the wind blowing so we head back home. No snow out here tho that is a good thing.
plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

We are under over a foot of Snow in Prince George Caching grinds to a halt till May for those of us who have found most all of the caches.
dloubert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Not a chance to find anything today in Parksville/Qualicum......unless you have a metal detector. Beanie
dloubert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Oh and a snow blower.... Touque
cartguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Guess I had better remember to bring my sorels when we head up to PG for the holidays then further north to HL, Ab. Coonskin Hat
landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Brrrr... Helen and I were in Ottawa two winters ago. Had to chip caches out of the ice. Not that bad here yet.
Bestred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

We were out yesterday doing TESKELLY's 700th, and it was chilly, though we did more caches that you had to search for, so with the walking and searching, we were able to warm up some....well I was...lol
Time to bring out the parkas....lol Touque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

It's -32C this morning in Vanderhoof. It affects more than just caching! Yikes I hope the furnace doesn't break down like it has in previous years! Touque
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Well, I guess -7 in Vancouver just does not seem so bad now!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

With the moisture you have down there, -7 is pretty darned cold, I know. I would say it feels the same as -20 does in a dryer place like PG. But -32 is freakishly cold. It has actually warmed up now to -28.4 but I am skeptical because the sun is now shining right on the thermometer. I just hope it warms up by the time I go down there for Xmas so I can get some caching in!
gotlost001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

The forecast is for a white X-mas down here, so caching may be tough.
Bestred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

gotlost001 wrote:
The forecast is for a white X-mas down here, so caching may be tough.

I moved here from Ontario 21 years ago, and just recently the winters are getting nasty.
I believe that here in BC, the snow belongs on the mountains only. LOL
Sure the first couple of years living here with green Christmases wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but I have gotten used to it...lol
If it is gonna snow, then it should just snow on Christmas and be gone by 6am Boxing Day.
I am so not into snow, unless skiing!

I agree with MaliBooBoo...cold weather out here is almost the same as colder weather where it is drier. I think the difference is more where you feel the cold. With a drier cold it is more surface chill where as a wet cold you feel it more in the bones. Either way...this is the time of the year and weather for Sick yuck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Well, I was going to go downtown and find 4 caches but looking out the window at the falling snow Ive decided to say in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

It just took me 2 hours to drive from BCIT area, to north Surrey. Took 10 minutes to get to the Port Mann, then it stopped.

Who the heck drives a Corvette up Johnston Hill in the snow, same for the BMW Sports Car? How far do you think they can get? GEEZ! Semi Trucks, stuck on the hill, blocking traffic putting on chains. What a mess.

Anyways.. as for caching.. I slow down in the winter, going after easier ones, ones close to home etc.

Last edited by _canadianbacon_ on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

We don't do much caching in this cold and snow, but glad we no longer live on the coast. The traffic here is more prepared for winter.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Tonight I went to take Tieka the Canine LS to her classes (so she can be a better than perfect Dog ) and there was a transit bus stuck in the traffic circle! We had to go the other way around it and when we finally got to dog classes the barking lot was empty... I guess they just figured we'd know not to show up or something Mad and didn't bother to notify us that it was cancelled due to weather BEFORE we went out. I spent 9 years in a small farming community in Central Alberta (Coronation) and have learned that life goes on when it snows...

I'd like to go find some of the new caches but I am looking for the little snowflake attribute so I can choose ones that are 'winter friendly'. Do people on the island and on the coast actually use that attribute to mean available in SNOW or is it used to mean you can find the cache if the water table is high?! LOL!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

When I checked the weather yesterday, it said for a possibility of wet snow next week here in Nanaimo. Yes wet SNOW! That seems to be the evil word everybody(except for me Beanie ) hates. The forecast has changed by now but it is still pretty cold for here. Another white Christmas for the Island??? Touque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

We had an amazing Halloween 2009 Event here on the island tonight and it rained all evening. The fire was massive, attendance was high and the cachers were all smiling - that's one thing about cachers, weather doesn't get us down or keep us at home.

Mr. W and a Mt Goat, the problem for me with wet snow is that it is generally cold and it is wet, so I never know what kind of boots to wear Laughing . If I wear a waterproof boot I'm likely not going to have 'warm' feet and if I wear a warm boot it's likely not as 'waterproof'. I wish it would just warm up and rain, or cool down and snow and not have me standing in the front hall deciding whether to put wool socks in my rubber boots or spray/silicone my warm boots. Footwear (in)decision just kills me Nut and then I choose and it warms up or cools down and I'm always wearing the wrong footwear. I know that some of you can relate and the rest just roll your eyes! It's not unusual for me to have another pair in the trunk for when the weather changes (usually shortly after we've left the house).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

that seems like a response from someone attending the torch ceremony in Victoria, apparently standing in the grass near the parlement building was like standing in a mud puddle.
It doesn't look like you guys down in Victoria will get any snow, for a matter of fact it will probably stay dry next week. Us up here in Nanaimo have the temperatures dipping down pretty low on Thursday, close to freezing. Right now I'm down with the flu(not swine flu) so I am doing no caching, with ?snow? coming I may not be doing caching for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

I have a slightly different weather (I think) realted issue. I'm a new cacher and have had two of my L&L (they are the genuine container) containers failed this week, tabs breaking off. I'm in Abbotsford and it has been freezing for a few days now. These caches have been in place for only a few days , in fact on the most recent the FTF notified me last night that when the cache was opened one of the tabs broke off. Am I unlucky or is this a problem with L&L's in cold weather? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

I'm not sure why the tabs break off on LnL, maybe they're brittle with this cold weather.:coonskin: Try Freezer proof ones if theses continue to fail.
BTW, I wouldn't completly trust LnL as they aren't completly waterproof in many situations, just remember to keep the logbook in a bag.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Had a near frozen pen yesterday in a cache. Usually a problem up North.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Gear up and go! Have had a few great days of caching in the snow in Alaska during the past few weeks, including a FTF at the top of a 4,000' peak. The caches we found (with LadyBug Kids and NorthWes of AK) were under the snow, so...we dug! Others were under or on snowy trees, so...we shook them off! It was dark, so...we brought light! Be prepared for the conditions...wear the right clothes, be comfortable. Bring a good headlamp to keep your hands free, don't forget spare batteries. A write-anywhere pen (or pencil) gets away from the frozen ink problem. Ski poles are handy to poke for caches in the snow (ammo cans thankfully don't sound like rock when poked!) Granted, not all caches can be found as easily in (or under) the snow, so take a look at the cache attributes...even modify your PQ's to only select winter-friendly caches. Most of my caches around Silver Star Resort are actually easier to find in the winter. Get out and have fun! Merry ho-ho to all!
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather affecting your caching? Reply with quote

Now I want to go to the Yukon and Alaska to cache. And I'm feeling guilty for a cache placed less than 1km from my house that I haven't visited because I didn't want to get wet in the rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1