CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Game #3 - "Double Cross"
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Kettle Valley Railway
Kettle Valley Railway:  [?] . The Myra Canyon section of the Kettle Valley Railway was built between 1912 and 1914. It was part of a "Coast to Kootenay" railway line that linked Midway, in British Columbia's Boundary District, with the Canadian Pacific Railway main line at Hope. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Game #3 - "Double Cross"
toplefttopfilltopright
Game #3 - "Double Cross"

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Bingo Game #3 its titled ‘Double Cross’, as the goal is to make two 3x3 crosses on the card. These crosses can not share any squares.

For this game you will be presented with some puzzles, riddles and word play. Your task is to figure out what location in the world is being referred to and locate a geocache as close as possible to this location. In some instances the cache may be a few hundred meters or more away. Use the notes on the square to document your answer along with the cache you choose.

Now by Locate we do not mean physically travel to, we mean IDENTIFY a cache at that location. Using the Geocaching.com search and maps find a cache near the location you think the square is referencing and record that cache's GC# on your square. You do not physically have to find it!. So for this game, you are not limited by weather, hours of sunlight or general lack of available caches in your area. You can do it in your PJ's!

First off, the draw values will not be shown, they will remain a mystery until they are revealed on your card. Please do not share this information with other cachers as you will only be hurting your own chances. Remember this is all for fun. A single draw will happen every four hours.

Here are some more details:
• None of the locations are in British Columbia
• There will be in some locations where there are several caches nearby. Try to find the closest, but the intent is to show you know the spot referred to. (Use the notes on the card if you want to document specifics).
• Do not ask for clarification on a task, some are obvious; some are not and meant to make you scratch your head. Asking for clarification on the forums is SHARING, and you will be disqualified from the game.
• In some cases there may be more than one location that matches. Use the obvious well known one. If for some reason we overlooked that some riddle really does match more than one well known location, we will show some leniency when validating the final card, but for the most part, these are well known places.
• The center block is the same for all players, identify the place in the photo, and identify a cache nearby.
• When a bingo is called, the final card will be checked, and if a location is wrong, the note for that location will be have something added such as ‘wrong’. An email will be sent to your registered email address indicating you have won, or need to correct something.
• Locations will not be validated before you call Bingo. It is all or nothing.

The riddles are for the most part of my own invention, though I did pass them by a couple of people for a sanity check.

Last edited by _canadianbacon_ on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:40 am; edited 4 times in total
curnew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Quote::
Locations will not be validated before you call Bingo. It is all or nothing.

Just to clarify, will we be informed WHICH one is wrong, and be able to fix, or if we call a bad BINGO are we OUT?

Thanks,

Jeff
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

curnew wrote:
Quote::
Locations will not be validated before you call Bingo. It is all or nothing.

Just to clarify, will we be informed WHICH one is wrong, and be able to fix, or if we call a bad BINGO are we OUT?

Thanks,

Jeff
Yes, we will edit the note field on your invalid square. And email.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

Go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

How much space do we have for notes? I tried to put in some info on the pic and only 6 characters were kept. I edited it but I was going to put more info in.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

nenners wrote:
How much space do we have for notes? I tried to put in some info on the pic and only 6 characters were kept. I edited it but I was going to put more info in.
100 characters. Did not want to mess up the card with a really LONG input box, but it scrolls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

I think the question was. If he calls BINGO is he out or can he change an answer and call BINGO again?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Once corrected, call BINGO again. I suggest on any square where you are 'not sure' yourself, you keep a list of backup places ready to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Woo hoo, I'm loving this one so far... what could be better than living vicariously through Wikipedia, Google Maps and Geocaching.com? Especicially for those of us in corners of the province where cold and/or snow is impeding our physical caching! I can tell already that my work, home renovation and Christmas shopping productivity is going to take a hit...
chrisoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

PS Thanks Canadian Bacon and the BCGA for a great activity this fall - I know our family is greatly enjoying these challenges. A great idea all around! Laughing
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Thanks.
It's just a bit of 'BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS....'
yes that is a hint to one of the already (and will be drawn again on some letter) drawn items! Smile

I'm expecting 'what the heck was he thinking when he did that clue' sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

how bout increasing the draw to ever 3 hours Smile
curnew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

What's the prize for Game 3?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Sorry, He that must be obeyed wanted to slow it down, especially since you don't have to go out in the cold!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

An all @ your expense paid weekend at the Spuzzum Inn!
Scruff said same as previous games. 2 coins & a pin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Sorry, He that must be obeyed wanted to slow it down, especially since you don't have to go out in the cold!

Slow it down YES, by the looks of my card one draw per day might be too fast LOL Smack
Could there be a spelling mistake on one of my tasks ?? One word thats not in the dictionary?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

hawk-dive wrote:

Slow it down YES, by the looks of my card one draw per day might be too fast LOL Smack
Could there be a spelling mistake on one of my tasks ?? One word thats not in the dictionary?
WORD PLAY... remember?

As you saw in last game, sometimes you get a few hits early on, then nothing for days. There are also fewer tasks in this game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

I was just looking @ possible places for a Cross. Now if you happen to get a cross centered on the middle square, it is not usable with any other cross. I till overlap. You'll have to wait till other parts of your card get filled to make two crosses.
Aint that a teaser!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

darn.. you got my hopes up for the Spuzzum Inn!

cool cool thanks!
curnew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

wonder how many draws it will take to get the first square Sad
this is almost un Bear able!!!!
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

So far I'm liking this one. Mr Co was complaining about the amount of gas we were burning through trying to track down those elusive Asian coins - my tears when I DNF'd a cache that had one, my blood wading through prickle bushes to fill another square, my sweat at "please one more green square".

Night caching in my 'jammies in my nice warm den . . .

Yes, I know "that's what she says now . . . "
vanislelady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
An all @ your expense paid weekend at the Spuzzum Inn!

Are there lots of "Available during winter" caches there
Touque

Scruff said same as previous games. 2 coins & a pin.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

curnew wrote:
darn.. you got my hopes up for the Spuzzum Inn!

cool cool thanks!
They closed it down. Did you ever go to the 'cave room' and have a Sasquatch Burger? Yummy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

I'm a tad confused, but what else is new?

CB states in the Game 3 thread that the object is;

"For this game you will be presented with some puzzles, riddles and word play. Your task is to figure out what location in the world is being referred to and locate a geocache as close as possible to this location. In some instances the cache may be a few hundred meters or more away."

On the bingo card page it says:

"Find a cache you think matches the riddle on geocaching.com, anywhere in the world,"

So, are we looking for a cache that actually matches the clue, the cache nearest the location that matches the clue?

This game looks like a lot of fun.

Note to the puppet masters......

Look at our clue under th "I". Location can be a match for the cryptic clue but there is no cache there. There is one nearby and that is the one we are assuming is the desired answer.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

Cache near location. Not a cache matching the clue. Though in some instances there are caches dedicated to a location.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

Nice to see CB sitting and waiting for questions. Thanks for the lightning quick reply.

All clear now, or as clear as can be with a head cold. Hack, cough, sneeze....
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

jangor wrote:
Nice to see CB sitting and waiting for questions. Thanks for the lightning quick reply.

All clear now, or as clear as can be with a head cold. Hack, cough, sneeze....
Hopefully you did not get that cold running around trying to fill you card for the last game.

I was alerted via email, hence the quick reply. I reworded text on game.. Its better, not perfect , but better.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - Double Cross - Is now up and running. Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:

Hopefully you did not get that cold running around trying to fill you card for the last game.

Nope, had it before and just made it a bit worse. Sick
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

A coding error caused the center square to appear in a draw. I removed that draw, fixed the code and Scruff made a manual draw (he likes that part).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Yes, and my draw landed in B so anyone who got a B green square can thank me. **teehee** It's the only one so far.

It looks like most people playing are able to figure out CB's very cryptic hints. You're doing better than me.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:

It looks like most people playing are able to figure out CB's very cryptic hints. You're doing better than me.
Yeh, it is amazing how creative you can be when you're drowsy on NyQuil!

Though the vast majority are getting the ones they have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

so far the two we've done were fun! Just a clarification, we have one(see our N4 riddle) where there are two distinct ways that the riddle can go, we chose one of the two, how ever there is another one that I can think of that very well might be 100% viable. So the question: will legitimate alternatives be accepted?

(I know this was discussed, but after seeing this one, I just have to ask)
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Well, I know there may be some other viable answers, but this in general is how'd I'd approach it if looking at a card. If I clicked on it, a cache came up , and I thought 'where the heck is that' or if the cache has nothing to do with the riddle as in does not talk about what you think the riddle is.. You probably are in the wrong place. I am not saying all your caches should explicitly talk about the place, but if the place it is at is not obvious, the cache itself should be.

For instance.. One of my original places, but I ended up tossing it was the Forbidden City in China. My hint was something to do with 'the golden city'.. ends up a lot of places have that nickname..

Think of this, for most of the places, if you had 2 or 3 options, what one would be the more well known and famous?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
A coding error caused the center square to appear in a draw. I removed that draw, fixed the code and Scruff made a manual draw (he likes that part).

my center square has a draw on it...is it not supposed to?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

everybody has the same 'castle' in the center square.. other than that, it is random.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

OK, Looking at some of the caches currently being associated with the riddles.
Here are some general guidelines.

1) None of the riddles are about people. They all are about places.
2) Though on occasion, you might find a cache dedicated to the location, often you just need any cache near the location. This is all about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Not a cache itself.
3) Wordplay people. Look at the present and past tense of wording. I know I can be a terrible speller, but in the instances you see something wrong.. It is not. (well, unless I really did mess up something!) Wink
4) Did I mention if its about LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION? Not people? If a clue is about a person, associate a person to a.... LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.
5) One more thing... LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

I LOVE this Game#3 Double Cross! I can play it at work Beanie
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

I have been asked at the end of this game to post all the riddles/answers. I'll do that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Other than the first free square (castle), I have yet to get a draw of the 19 draws so far. CB, can you tweak the code a bit so I get a couple.....hahahah.
I am looking forward to this game, when it starts....for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Game #3 - "Double Cross" Reply with quote

Just got a new clue.

Thank you to the puppet masters for putting it in the corner because we have absolutely NO IDEA. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion
Page 1 of 4