CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Ideas for 'next' BINGO
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Kelowna & Ogopogo
Kelowna & Ogopogo:  [?] . Summer playground and home of mysterious lake monsters! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BINGO —» Bingo Discussion —» Ideas for 'next' BINGO
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Ideas for 'next' BINGO

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I'd like to Solicit 'tasks' for next game.
Here are a few I had:
- Find a cache that starts with the letter this entry is listed under (BINGO).
- Hand off a Trackable Item to another cacher.
- Create a new cache about XXXXXXXXXXXX (some topic, or any cache etc)
- Host or Attend a Meet & Greet
- Log a cache with a photo of you at the cache.
- Find a cache you have previously DNF'd (tuff one!)
- Find any cache , and take a photograph of you or your teammate wearing a funny hat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I was also wondering whether people should be able to place a cache if there is nothing matching the criteria in their area. I'm a bit torn with this. I wouldn't want people throwing a micro in the woods just because it's easier to do than finding one 20k away.

S.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

How about log a cache and post a photo of the cache (or its logbook to prevent spoilers) with an animal, bird or bug in the photo.
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
How about log a cache and post a photo of the cache (or its logbook to prevent spoilers) with an animal, bird or bug in the photo.

I like this one! My Cat loves to go walking on his leash so he might be in every photo Jester

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

How about a photo of you and another cacher.
Or a picture of a certain animal, such as a squirrel.
Finding a cache at the top of a mountain.
Find a cache with 10 or more DNF's
Be the 50th 75th 100th finder of a cache.
Just a few of ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I was thinking wild animals... Bear Turtle Cookie Monster
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

landsharkz wrote:
Cookie Monster
Yeh, those cookie monsters are pretty scary out in the woods!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Yes CB... and they are killer bingo players too.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Do cache maintenance on a cache - yours or someone else's.
Post a photo of yourself with a bagful of garbage from the vicinity of a cache (do CITO while finding a cache).
Find a cache hidden by a dog.
Find a night cache.
Find a cache on an island (not this one!).
Find a cache that requires more than 1km hike each way.
Find a cache hidden by a child.
Find a puzzle cache.
Get a FTF.
Find a cache using public transportation.
Find a cache by bike.
Find a cache in a BC Park.
Find a cache with the ?Other size designation.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

How about:

Find a cache that starts with the letter "Q"
Find a cache that hasn't been found in a year
Move a TB that has been stuck for more than two months in a cache
And finally, eat cookies while finding a cache Cookie Monster MMMM Cookie!
scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

All the ideas have to be easily verifyable. Finding a cache by public transit or a bike is something people can just say they've done.

Believe it or not we have some of the requirements above. You just haven't seen them yet. **teehee**

I like the FTF idea, though. We never thought of that one.
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Stupid game! Woke up thinking about my tasks for the morning Jester

How about Discover a Project Bluesky Geocoin that you don't own

or

Receive a Project Bluesky Geocoin directly from another cacher

Maybe if BINGO becomes popular (I must like it to be typing at this hour Nut ) a "BINGO" coin or trackable "dabber" could be an item to find for the future.

Geck

scruffster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Has anyone actually taken their Bluesky coin, activated it and put it in a cache??? In order to get a Bluesky coin from another cacher I think you'd have to knock them over the head and seal it. **snarfle**
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

There's a way to get some traffic to a cache.
'Placed unactivated Bluesky coin in Cache, for 29th person'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

"Find a Cache in a City Park" - I think I am over-analyzing this one because we know for sure which parks are owned by whom. I'm thinking that a CRD park is not a City Park - is that the consensus among those competing on the island where we have CRD Parks (Elk, Beaver, Thetis, Francis King, etc), and Park Corridors like the Goose?
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
"Find a Cache in a City Park" - I think I am over-analyzing this one because we know for sure which parks are owned by whom. I'm thinking that at CRD park is not a City Park - is that the consensus among those competing on the island where we have CRD Parks (Elk, Beaver, Thetis, Francis King, etc), and Park Corridors like the Goose?

Good point! I think it would be like the "Saanich" Logan Park that I snagged a Landsharkz "Regular" in this morning. Otherwise parks like Provincial Parks could come into play also.

Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Thanks GC!

I guess I should further clarify my question/statement to add:

What is the intention of the folks running this fine game? Is it any Park in a City or a 'City Park' meaning management is by a municipality and not a regional board?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I think the intent was a Non Provincial Park.. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

scruffster wrote:
Has anyone actually taken their Bluesky coin, activated it and put it in a cache??? In order to get a Bluesky coin from another cacher I think you'd have to knock them over the head and seal it. **snarfle**

I sent mine out into the world... I got it from your bluesky cache (delta) no less.

Smile
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I think the intent was a Non Provincial Park.. Smile
Ok, thank you!
katcogo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I have found a Bluesky coin from a cache and moved it somewhere else. I had to work for it (Scruffster's The Yankees are Coming), and work for the cache it was placed in (the Rec Complex cache in Hope). The only way I was going to discover one!

I also know the location of another one in a cache that doesn't get too much traffic.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

What about finding caches that have particular difficulty/terrain combinations? I'm not necessarily suggesting that it be a 5x5, but it could be as much of a challenge to find a 3.5x3.5 - or some other variation / multiple variations on the same theme.

On the same idea as putting a new cache into play, did anyone suggest releasing a new TB or GC yet?

As someone who isnt the least bit ashamed to log my shortcomings (ie my DNF's), i'm also very much in favour of the previous suggestion to have one that requires you to go find a previous DNF

My thoughts for now at least... all i need to do now is go find a european GC to move. No problem right? oh man...
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I was thinking about this one again, which is probably not a good sign. I was thinking that in future iterations (I recall that this first one is a pilot really anyway isnt it?) it might be really nice to have some (small) consolation prizes for the non-winners; maybe something for a handful of people who accomplished the most tasks without winning & maybe a random draw or two based on the number of tasks completed (ie each completed tasks gets you an entry into the random draw)

Im figuring that this might help drive active participation as the contest is going on versus a strategy to wait until you have a line - or nearly have a line before engaging and tackling any tasks. I would expect that there are probably a few people taking the latter approach - I know that when I described the contest to my better half; her immediate feedback was to question my strategy of working on my tasks as they come up since in all liklihood someone else would win before I even had a chance to call a line. Personally, I figure that this is about having some fun with something we like to do anyway, so it shouldnt matter if it's not a winning effort.

Anyway, 2 cents contributed.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I think that you can't get prizes for those who got 4 out of 5, but could have for the first X people who get a complete row, column, or shape (depending on the game).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

This is also a programming problem, It would take a lot of work to find any pattern in the cards, and with near 100 people on this game, doing it manually is not 'in the cards' , excuse the pun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

CB - 100 people is fabulous!

Chewy_06 - We contemplated that strategy when it was first suggested, but if you're like me you end up with DNF's. You'll have a lot less stress doing the challenges as they come up in case you need to work on one of them for a bit longer than anticipated Embarassed . Also, you could end up doing them at 1am in the rain rather than on a nice day like today - ah, caching weather!
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

With the right balance of 'number of draws' players need not rush out and fill one lone spot off by itself. Chances are you can save up a 3 and do them @ one time. Though, that is not to say some lucky card will have a nice neat row of 'small', 'large', 'regular', 'small#2' lined up over the 'Free' spot in the first few draws. That just is 'the luck of the draw'.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I think that you can't get prizes for those who got 4 out of 5, but could have for the first X people who get a complete row, column, or shape (depending on the game).

I was thinking more about an absolute number of tasks completed - vs say 4 out of the 5 to get a line.

So, in theory, by the time the game gets to the point where someone has had five tasks line up, it's also possible that someone might have had >10 tasks that they did & that didnt line up (actually, it's theoretically possible to have 18 complete and still not get a line - how frustrating would that be?). Without knowing how the back end of this works i'm not sure, but i'd guess it should be pretty easy to be able to tell how many tasks each player did complete? I was just thinking that it might be nice to provide some reconition in this category as well.

The problem with looking at the first X people to hit the right requirement (line, X, blackout etc) is that if the card generation process and the draw process are close to purely random then there will be a normal distribution curve as the requirements get hit. Determining where the cutoff should be is just math - but it would require that the number of players be locked down/capped.

Doesn't bother me if it's an idea that doesnt gain traction, just making a suggestion.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:

Chewy_06 - We contemplated that strategy when it was first suggested, but if you're like me you end up with DNF's. You'll have a lot less stress doing the challenges as they come up in case you need to work on one of them for a bit longer than anticipated Embarassed . Also, you could end up doing them at 1am in the rain rather than on a nice day like today - ah, caching weather!

Very true - hence me going out there in the rain to try to find & move a european geocoin (easier said than done, but done nonetheless). Maybe my wife will play next time & we can see who's strategy worked better in the end! Smile
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:

I agree! Freaking great to see cachers out there at all times of the day in this weather playing Bingo! I think I may have to dig out some old Bingo dabbers and dab the log books I visit during the game with BCGA written in the center of it! Jester Hey another "swag" idea??? I get royalties Medal

katcogo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

My suggestion is that instead of a "Free" space we make that the "wild card" space that a cacher could fill with any task not already on their card. It just seems to me that since we are doing more than sitting in a bingo hall mindlessly dabbing that no one should get a free ride!

DNF's have never had such high stakes as they do now! I was out on the final 3 stages of my 5 stage multi today and had a mild case of panic at the last 2 stages when I couldn't immediately find the cache!

Loving the game, so much easier today in the sunshine! PLEASE, PLEASE COMPUTER PULL THE LAST BLOCK ON MY CARD (and make it easy)!!!
Chilcotinsam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

When I saw there was a new game BINGO I thought cool that might be fun. That was until I read the rules and realized that for some cachers in BC it might be pretty difficult to get any squares.
One reason for me is that there are no local caches that I havent found the closest would be 23 km as the crow flies and there are a few others within that distance but I am thinking it would require several trips back and forth which is lots of gas. Then there are the snowy icy roads to contend with and the deer playing their own game of jump on the road when a vehicle goes flying by.
It would be nice if there was more of an equal chance for those outside urban areas such as the lower mainland and the more populated areas of Vancouver Island. Or maybe this game is to encourage new cachers to get out there and find some caches that they havent found already..if thats the idea thats great because caching is so much fun.
Im not complaining just stating facts. It would be nice to see a game where more of us could play.
A few of us here (in Williams Lake) played geopoker and that was a lot of fun. Maybe we will have to do our own thing cause with the snow traveling is not the best idea either. Anyways those are just my thoughts.
scruffster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

I realize that not everyone will have the same chances as others. Weather and geography will definitely be a factor -- especially at this time of year. However, we purposely did not limit the geocaches to BC. For this reason, people heading south for the winter will be able to play during vacation.

Although we started with straight geocaching bingo, the program is set up to be used in many different ways. During the darkest stretch of winter we may revert the game into a puzzle. The possibilities are endless.

We will try to have something for everyone throughout the year.

For those that have a foot of snow already, let it be known that the Vancouver Island and Lower mainland geocachers were hunting down caches to fill their bingo squares during one of the worst monsoons in recorded history. Game 1 wasn't easy for anyone.
Chilcotinsam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Yup all in good fun hey. And most of us geocachers are pretty tough cookies so a little rain or snow doesnt usually stop us. Its just when the miles/kilometers get up there to get the cache in the dark of winter that it gets to us a little and by spring we are pretty geo crazy! And yes I believe that is someones geocaching name but I am referring to geocachers in general. So happy caching wherever you may be which for some of us might be later rather than sooner.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

The current game will go a bit slower, and being you need 8 squares , will take some time. By Sunday you should see enough on your card to go out and do a few at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Oh yea, I should point out that the more avid geocachers in the city have done all except the hardest geocaches within a 10k radius of their home. Most of the highly populated urban areas are cache saturated so new caches close to home don't pop up as much as they used to. So it isn't just the people in areas with a lower concentration of geocaches that have to travel. If anything, the Bingo game will be easiest for newbies or people that haven't cached for a while.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

More ideas:
An eco-friendly cache - Eg: at a park n' ride, or on a cycling trail, or a bus route theme cache.
A seasonal 'holiday' theme cache
A food or drink theme cache
nenners

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
More ideas:
An eco-friendly cache - Eg: at a park n' ride, or on a cycling trail, or a bus route theme cache.

Could we have the cycling trail ones in the late spring? Our cycling paths get a bit covered in the Interior with some weird white stuff in the winter. Touque
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

nenners wrote:
Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
More ideas:

Could we have the cycling trail ones in the late spring? Our cycling paths get a bit covered in the Interior with some weird white stuff in the winter. Touque

I know!
A cache that requires an alternative means of transportation like snowshoes, cross country skis, snowmobile, or dogsled!
nenners

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for 'next' BINGO Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
nenners wrote:
Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
More ideas:

I know!
A cache that requires an alternative means of transportation like snowshoes, cross country skis, snowmobile, or dogsled!

Cross Country skiing is good! Got one at night last year (was even FTF).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Bingo Discussion
Page 1 of 2