CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» SD Card help for Explorist 500
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Peach Arch
Peach Arch:  [?] . Erected in 1921 along the world's longest undefended border, the International Peace Arch is the first monument ever built in dedication of World peace. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» SD Card help for Explorist 500
toplefttopfilltopright
SD Card help for Explorist 500
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5KingCachers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

Hi there I am looking for help. I can for some reason no longer connect my GPS to my computer. Don't ask me why because I have no idea Smack . So what I am trying to do now is take the waypoints and place them on an SD Card and load it to the GPS that way. I have no idea how to do this and I am hoping someone can help me out with this. The GPS unit I have is an explorist 500. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

4kingcachers
tjguy98

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

You can try this web group; you have to become a member of YahooGroups, if you're not already.
groups.yahoo.com/group/eXplorist/

They have some pretty sage members who excel at that kind of stuff, plus they have an FAQ you can look through. If all else fails you can search for past messages about SD cards, you'll find a ton of them.

vanislelady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

That s a very good question... I have tried to do that and come up empty... My cable will no longer connect (attach) to the GPS and sometimes if I hold it with my fingers I do not always get a good connection... rather a pain...... (need new GPSr) Laughing
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

Do you have any other programs? Like GSAK?

If you have GSAK - you can load your file into it. You then have the option to export the query into a megellan explorist 500 format.

You then save this file into the the proper folder on the sdcard. (the folders should already be set up - if this the card you use for your gps already)

Likely with the cable a small piece has broken off that "holds" it in the perfect place - are you in the vancouver area? eg Maple ridge to Burnaby?

If you are I can lend you our cable to see if that is the issue - if it is you can order a replacement one fairly easily.

Hope that helps!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my Triton 400. It was very sensitive when connecting to the Vantage Point. It would still transfer waypoints and what not(also with update now does paperless caching)but was kind off annoying having to fiddle around with it. Now with my Legend HCx I don't have that problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

I would start by calling Magellan customer support or service and explaining the problem and asking for a replacement cable to be sent to you. I had this problem with my Delorme PN-40 and they offered a new cable when they figured out that it was the issue. The cable was sent n/c at their expense and they chose UPS Express which meant I had it in a few days.
5KingCachers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

Thank you all so much. I will try the GSAK yes I do have that on the computer. It would sure make caching much easier. I used to live in Abbotsford but now live in Logan Lake thank you so much for the chance to borrow a cable. I was thinking it just may be that. SUCKS!! I am going to call them tomorrow to see if just mabey they can send me a new cord I am hoping to bat my brown eyes and say pretty please hehehe hopefully it will work for me I will keep you posted as to my luck with everything. Smile :-)
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

When you say you can't connect, I assume you can physically connect the cable but the unit does not show up in whatever software you use.

This could be one of two problems:

1. You may need to reinstall the driver. Visit the Magellan website and find your model. There should be a driver download which you can get and install.

2. Your cable may be toast. If it's a standard USB to mini-USB cable, see if you can borrow one to test.

If I have misunderstood the problem, please forgive me...

HTH.

Mr. Huggy.
5KingCachers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Huggy,

Yes that is right when I plug the unit into the computer it comes up as not recognized. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the software and I have also gone to the website and have downloaded all the proper updates but still nothing which is why I am thinking it is the cord. the driver is comming up as unknown.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

You might be in luck - can you e-mail us your actuall adress to tulameenturtles at shaw.ca

We're about to take a 3 day road trip and we've never taken that route and it's been on our to do list.. Smile

Would that work for you!
5KingCachers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

That would be fantastic. I just sent you an email.

Thanks again!!!!
gotlost001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

If you still need help e-mail me. I have the same unit and have the same problem it is an easy fix. got.lost @ telus.net
5KingCachers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SD Card help for Explorist 500 Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your help. I was able to finally figure out GSAK which allowed me to load my SD card through the computer so that works now. Thanks to Tulameen Turtles who came up this way on thier last caching trip and lent me a cords. The new cords works fantastic so yep it was the cord all along. Silly thing. All is good now.

Luanne
5KingCachers
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1