CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» website display oddity
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Urban wildlife in B.C.
Urban wildlife in B.C.:  [?] . Wildlife big and small, urban and remote abound throughout B.C., even Skunks! [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» website display oddity
toplefttopfilltopright
website display oddity
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: website display oddity Reply with quote

I am getting a number of long, vertical grey shaded bars on every page I try to view - they push the content of the page down about 8-10 inches. They are under the picture banner, and over the content, and start on the right side of the page. The number of bars varies from page to page within the site - sometimes it's 5, sometimes 20 or more. This has happened on both my home and church computer, and just started yesterday.
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

Yup, been like that since last night. Had me checking RVT's computer just to make sure I didn't do some wierd ALT + Shift thingy on mine. Jester

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

I have no idea what's happening.
- No changes made to site
- Test site (does not share anything) is doing same thing
- On test site when the template is changed, they all do the same thing.
- Both went wonkers at same time.

I had hosting company restart web server.

If anybody with some html experience can see what is wrong, let me know.

My first thought was the .css was not being served from the web server, but I can get those files directly in browser, so I assume that is working.

Last edited by _canadianbacon_ on Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

Can still read everything, just have to scroll down a lot. Hope the problem can get fixed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

I run a forums site and may I suggest it was nothing you did but some little bugger who decided that having some fun by hacking in might have done.

My site has been hacked 3 times and when weird stuff like this happens that is normally what it was.

I hate to say it but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack too.

I had to get the makers of the forum software to find the fix because if it is a hack then they have to put an update out to fix it.

Phil
scruffster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

Five hours into my stint as President and I thought I blew up the website by posting one news story. Needless to say I felt really bad.

CB has since informed me that not even I have that power and the problem originates elsewhere. **wiping brow**

Be assured that CB is working on the problem and there are other technical experts involved as well. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

Im in the process of copying site to a different server to see if it has same problems there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

Well you appear to have "fixed" it. Coonskin Hat

Phil
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

OK I lay this one totally at the feet of the outgoing executive.

The event calendar (left side) displays all upcoming events for next 31 days.

@ 9PM Mountain time (this server is in Texas) the AGM event, on the calendar was no longer something coming up, but something in the past (well, at least according to the clock on the server).

So, the logic in the event calendar, looked ahead and saw no more entries for next 31 days... And nicely tells us that fact. When it does it improperly closed some HTML table entries that it does need when there are events to display.

The result, a very messy Site.

So it is the outgoing Executives fault, if they did not resign, and kept that darn AGM going, the site would have stayed all pretty. Jester

PS..
Irene saw the 'no events in next 31 days' message, and on a hunch turned off the module, which fixed the page.

I have since gone into the code, and corrected it. Funny thing is the 3rd party software has 3 other similar modules that do it correctly, but the format we picked had a bug.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: website display oddity Reply with quote

Our fault eh? Well, everything else was, so why not this too. We can pretend to take the heat for you CB Beanie
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1