CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Which Screen and fields do you use?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Coin Sales  
Legislative Buildings
Legislative Buildings:  [?] . 3,300 light bulbs outline the exterior of British Columbia's Parliament Buildings. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Which Screen and fields do you use?
toplefttopfilltopright
Which Screen and fields do you use?
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

I've been reading some websites on using GPSr and geocaching. Some people like to use the MAP screen when they geocache. Others (like me) seem to favour the compass.

1) Which one do you use when you're like 50-100 metres from the cache?
2) and on the screen that you favour, what data stuff do you preset to show?

I have it showing the distance to the geocache, the gps accuracy, the bearing, and heading...and of course the compass. What do you guys use?
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

With my garmin etrex legend HCx I always use my compass screen, thye only time I don't use it is when I am navigating roads and not to caches.
With my old Magellan Triton 400 I always used the map screen as the compass screen did not work as well.
Using the compass screen saves you some time and patience as you don't need to wait for the map to reload every time you zoom in.
It's up to you which one you use.
Mine says:bearing, time of day,accuracy and speed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

I like the map better in steeper terrain, but for the last 50 metres or so I will most likely use the compass.
On my compass page I show speed, distance to the geocache, GPS accuracy and elevation.
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

What's the purpose of the speed field? I see that MWaaMG and ekro have it in their settings.

Unless you guys are running to the caches? Help me understand? Idea
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

no real reason for the speed field for me, it's just interesting to know how fast you're going. Magnify

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

I used the default geocaching screen on my Colorado, which includes a pointer (or a compass if I scroll down a page), the distance to the cache and the map (as well as information on the cache itself). It's the best of both worlds!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

I always use the compass. It always seems to point me in the right direction.
ekroamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

[Unless you guys are running to the caches? Help me understand?]
Sometimes you have to run to be FTF. Jester
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

The compass on most GPS'rs have configurable fields. The one I use the most, is distance, I do have bearing on there too, and I think the WP name and Altitude. Those are more informational than anything else.

Bearing can be handy if you are doing a short projection, you can just add/subtract 180 degrees to/from your projection, and walk on the general projection bearing to the required distance A quick tip I learned from MrG. Eg. Say the projection is 90 Degrees from the WP for 100M. You keep the GPS pointed at the original WP, and walk where the bearing shows the original WP @ 270Degrees and you are 100m from the original WP.. Tada, you are at(ok near!) the projected WP.

In map mode ETA or Time to Arrival is handy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:

Bearing can be handy if you are doing a short projection, you can just add/subtract 180 degrees to/from your projection, and walk on the general projection bearing to the required distance A quick tip I learned from MrG. Eg. Say the projection is 90 Degrees from the WP for 100M. You keep the GPS pointed at the original WP, and walk where the bearing shows the original WP @ 270Degrees and you are 100m from the original WP.. Tada, you are at(ok near!) the projected WP.

Hey, that IS a neat trick. Thanks CB. That's a quick way to do projections. Heh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

Teddy2k wrote:
I used the default geocaching screen on my Colorado, which includes a pointer (or a compass if I scroll down a page), the distance to the cache and the map (as well as information on the cache itself). It's the best of both worlds!

Same here, you get all you need on that one screen, and you are within a keypress or 2 of the description, logs and hints if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

On my etrex Vista C, I use the active route following the road until I get close enough to recalculate to off road. Then I rely on the trusty compass page to reach the cache location with the data fields Accuracy, Dist To Dest, Time of Day (don't ask me why Laughing ) and the Destination for the waypoint name. The find is usually made "trusting" the GPS and using my geosenses like "Hey...what's under that pile of bark?" Wink

Gecko

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:

I got a FTF on a cool puzzle here using that technique with a variation. The CO gave a location and said to find two orange stakes nearby. The cache was a certain distance (say 120m for the sake of this example) from the stakes. Ok, now to go find it. I marked the stakes as a waypoint, hit 'go to', walked away until I was 120m from the stakes and then walked a nice big circle keeping the stakes 120m away until I found the hiding spot. This was with a 60CSx using the map screen so I could see my circle too.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

Teddy2k wrote:

Now that we have the colorado, ditto.
With the Magellean 500, it was the compass screen. The refresh rate was horrible for the map page.
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

Carrying this topic a little further, I've decided to look at the Trip Calculator fields...dont' know if you guys have these screens.

It shows speed averages, moving time, stop time.

Is there a reason why I care how much time I spent moving? Was thinking of changing these fields to something else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

Oliverthenakedbear - I have changed them to meaningful things like: sunset, ETA at destination, Bearing, etc. Go through all the lists and choose the ones that you may like to see at a glance.
r0adki1l

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

I personally use the compass screen with Speed Distance Bearing And GPS Accuracy.
As far as the speed feild goes it helps to tell if it is glitching or getting a decent signal. If you move and it says your not or if you stop and it keeps going I can figure out if I want to believe where it is sending me lol.
If that makes sense.
only time i really use the map screen is to pick geocaches nearby in a certai direction.
Technic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Screen and fields do you use? Reply with quote

It's been a while since I read through the forums, but I thought I would post my 26 cents worth. I use a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. I use the compass screen with Destination, Distance to Destination, Location, and of course Compas with arrow.
I have included Destination on this screen (gives you the GCxxxx name of the cache) so that I know which cache I am looking for in case I need to refer to the cache page on my Palm PDA. The Distance to Destination is pretty self explanatory. The Location field shows the coordinates of where you presently are, and I stop using the Distance field when I am within feet of the final destination and use the coordinates field to get me to GZ. I find that the Distance field is less accurate when you are moving slower. Also, the slower you go, the better the Location field becomes. Also as I slow down near GZ, the compass begins to swing around leading you to do the circle dance. The Compass is set to Bearing and it keeps me on the straight and narrow (except for hill or dale) and gets me to the general location of the cache.

I have found that when I switch GOTO from "follow road" to "off road" my GPS puts me at the supposed cache location as far as Distance to Cache is concerned, but is still actually meters away from the real GZ. In that case, and only realizing this after a lengthy hunt, I must STOP navigation and start the GOTO over again, and then I see that the real GZ if meters away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1