CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Avatars & Sigs
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Tofino
Tofino:  [?] . Visit Pacific Rim National Park near Tofino. Kilometers of unspoiled beaches. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Avatars & Sigs
toplefttopfilltopright
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampcoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

How do you change your avatar? I've gone to my account page but there is no option to edit info.

And is it possible to have a sig? Or do we have to paste a picture at the end of every post we make if we want to do that.

Thanks.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Avatar is changed through your account, then on left menu there is 'your avatar'
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...dit=avatar

sig is changed on 'your account'
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...it=profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Avatar is changed through your account, then on left menu there is 'your avatar'
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...dit=avatar

sig is changed on 'your account'
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...it=profile

Thanks. Couldn't find any link or place to get to it
Stampcoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

How do you get the image though?
I would like a pic for a sig.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

I only have a pic, because I maintain the site, and have access to the database. It is not a function available to users.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

bah.

Then can your next job be to get sigs for people. They are sooo nice to have...
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Hmmm.... now there is something for me to do in these last 30 days before I have to give up this job. Little catapults across the bottom of my posts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Another BIG thank you CB.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Catapult Jeff wrote:
Another BIG thank you CB.

Would you mind giving me one for bringing this subject up....
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Try BB code in the sig area. That's what I put in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

can someone PLEASE explain to me how to navigate this website??? I managed to find the candidate forum........and now I cannot get back to the regular ones
the tool bars on the left & on the right are not helpful (you have to stab the one on the right to make it stop) and the icons on the bottom of the page are not "clickable".
So far, the only way I can figure this out is to ask for an email on a topic.
Thanks
S
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

The easiest way to follow the forums:

1) Click "Forums" at the very top of the site
2) Click "View posts since last visit", which is just below the top banner picture on the right.

This way, you don't have to wade through each forum and post... it ONLY shows you the threads that have been updated/posted to since the last time you visited the site.

Hope that helps!
SOLONM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

I've tried this & no it does not work. Previously I could not access that "approved members only hidden" part......now I cannot get back to the general forums. I don't understand why this website should be so convoluted/difficult to navigate. Especially for approved membership.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Clicking the "Forums" link at the very top of the site or in the navigation bar on the left takes you back to the very start of the entire forums, where you will see all of the different forums listed (including the membership only ones and the General forum).
SOLONM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

nope.....tried it all again & it simply does not work no matter what forum choice I choose, I come back to the same format....I CAN get where I want to on the website eventually but I wonder, if this is difficult for me how discouraging it is for BCGA members who are still dependent upon dial-up service in this province.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Then I have no idea what's wrong, sorry Sarah Neutral Maybe _canadianbacon_ can chime in with his thoughts.
savant9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Try clicking here?

Or maybe try clearing the cache, or Ctrl F5, or a different browser?

Just tossing out some ideas....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Teddy2k wrote:
Then I have no idea what's wrong, sorry Sarah Neutral Maybe _canadianbacon_ can chime in with his thoughts.

Thanks Ted,
I can get around it but I wonder how difficult it may be for other members........gee there are folks who still have dial-up....if as BCGA members we cannot navigate this website easily without state of the art technology, how on the earth are we going to move to something like electronic voting?
It has taken me 3 days to find the nominations page & as I say, now I can't get back to the general forums with any ease.
not everyone would work as hard as I do....it needs to be simple for everyone. This is not.
BTW I'm not the only one who has difficulty with the website......
scruffster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

I actually helped design the BCGA website three years ago when I was still on dial-up. Although the BCGA website took longer to load on dial-up it is not bad in comparison to many commercial web pages on the internet. You Tube clips take a good hour and a half to download on dial-up and I quickly learned to skip the flash introductions on many websites. Search engines take a while on dial-up too. A fast browser, like Google Chrome, helps, but I learned to be patient as I am sure most people with dial up do. I learned that sometimes the computer doesn't act faster than the brain and clicking randomly around a supposedly stuck page doesn't help matters. **teehee** The BCGA page is no exception.

It is no secret that I'm one of the most computer illiterate people on the planet. Yet, I have never had a problem with the BCGA website. Of course there were times I clicked on the wrong button somewhere. Everyone does it from time to time. If there is anything I've learned in my 15 years of internet surfing is 99% of all computer difficulties originate between the chair and the keyboard.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

I really don't understand what your 'not' seeing. When you click on the 'Forum Index' Link or 'Forums' on the site banner you don't see forums? Yet you managed to read and post to many sections.

In general,
1) Not all forum areas are public, some are restricted to BCGA members.
2) Must be a registered user to post to a forum, no anonymous users allowed.
3) Do not block bcga.com cookies. They keep track of who you are, and what you've seen on the forum If you block them some of the 'newest' functions will not work.

I've never heard of anybody who could not at least read the public area's of the forums.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

I am an approved registered member. I am able to go to both the members' only forums as well as the public ones. Yes, I accept cookies. (my favorite are ginger sparkles LOL). I have received my proxy form & AGM notifications.

The problem is I cannot move easily from one section of the site to another by selecting "forums".....be it on the top, the left or the right side of the page. The options on the bottom of the page don't work at all.
For example, no matter what I select in the forum options while I am in this section of the forums (which covers this thread and the regional discussions) I am brought back to this page.

If I want to view the general topics, I have to dig up an email notification of previous thread that I was watching & utilize that to enter that section of the forums.
I'm mostly concerned that if I'm having problems navigating the website then surely others are also.
While I'm not a whiz at computers etc., I'm not exactly illiterate either.

I am going to see if logging out will fix the problem.
Thanks for the help everyone!!
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Does 'forum index' link on top brink you to the root of the forums, shows all areas?

Do you mean the 'Jump to' button on the bottom, does not change pages?

What Type of computer (PC/Mac) and Browser are you using?

is Javascript enabled?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Solonm, you may have clicked on the toggle switch on one of the Forum sections. Try clicking on "Forums" on the picture banner way on the very top of the page and that should make it show everything.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

When on the main forum page, clickingin on the titles 'toggle' the child forumns.

It is really strange behaivor. I had trouble getting out of it.

It is a combination of 1st clicking on the title, (which may or may not show the child forumns) then clicking on Forumn Index to get it back.

Took some fiddling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Does 'forum index' link on top brink you to the root of the forums, shows all areas?

Do you mean the 'Jump to' button on the bottom, does not change pages?

What Type of computer (PC/Mac) and Browser are you using?

is Javascript enabled?

The "forum index" on the top does not take me to the root page. The "jump to" buttons don't work at all. I assume you mean the ones at the bottom that indicate new posts etc.
I use Modzilla.....it is updated. I have a PC.....Javascript is enabled.
BTW this is a new problem. Previously I was able to navigate the website just fine until the forums for nominations etc. were started.
Would this be more easy to figure out over the phone?
Sarah
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

If it's a new problem, it could be an issue with your cookies or a cached page. Try clearing them and then see if it fixes the problem.

Step-by-step instructions are at support.mozilla.com/en...ivate+data

Make sure you select "Everything" in the "Time Range to Clear" box. You can unselect everything else except "Cookies" and "Cache", then click "Clear Now". That should clear up any issues, however you will need to login to the site again.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Teddy2k wrote:
If it's a new problem, it could be an issue with your cookies or a cached page. Try clearing them and then see if it fixes the problem.

Clearing out the history did the trick, Ted!! I can now get to the root page & move around the website just fine. I bet this may have been a result of the endless searching while trying to solve the cointest LOL!!
Thanks everyone!!
Sarah
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Avatars & Sigs Reply with quote

Anytime Detective
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1