CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Notice of Annual General Meeting
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sphinx Tunnel
Sphinx Tunnel:  [?] . Located on the outskirks of Greenwood, a rail underpass was unearthed during construction of a new highway creating a sphinx-like ruin along the Trans Canada Trail. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Notice of Annual General Meeting
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Notice of Annual General Meeting
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
couloir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Chris is working on this and will post soon. As I noted, there is a long list of requests and we know this one is at or near the top of the list.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Chewy_06 wrote:

I tried to find it manually.

If someone can point me in the right direction, i'd be happy to lob my hat into the proverbial ring.

Thanks!

That forum is currently only visible to BCGA members. If the powers that be want it to be public , they know where to find me and I'll change it.

Last edited by _canadianbacon_ on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

No. That is fine Henry as only BCGA members can run for office anyway so it is something that pertains only to the membership.

Thanx for the clarification!
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest that before people come forward with suggested edits or revisions to the Bylaws or the SOP's that you fully read both documents to know what they contain and what aspects of the operation of the BCGA are covered in each. It will help to clarify whether the item you want addressed belongs in one document or the other.

An EGM can be called by the new executive to deal with Bylaw changes that were not presented in time for the upcoming AGM. This has been done before. It sounds like this executive has it's hands pretty full already! Do your homework/research and ask for an EGM to deal with things that the group agrees are worthy of review.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Huh??
SOP is only for members?? I'm one too....
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

SOLONM, did you fill in a form and turn/send it in with some sort of ID to prove you are a BC resident? If so, you are a BCGA member!

Joining the forums isn't the same as being a voting member of the BCGA. Anyone worldwide can participate in the forums but only BC residents can be signed up voting members.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
Huh??
On the top of the page, near the Welcome 'your name' and Logout it will indicate if your a member.

On the Your Account Page, near bottom it will also show what Groups you are in, if you are a member you should be in the 'BCGA Member' group:

www.bcgeocaching.com/i...s&g=19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

"Skype meeting" ... This year, the directors are communicating using Skype... it si a voice over internet program that allows us to conduct a conference call. It has been a HUGE challenge for a group of people scattered across the province to communicate effectively and make decisions. In reality, it is only in the last half of our term that we have been able to get it together as far as meetings are concerned... last year the majority were in the Lower Mainland.

The by-law amendments were posted on the BCGA home page on Oct 14th, 31 days prior to the AGM. I have sent out an e-mail notice also and written notices went out to the few who have asked for info by snail-mail. Our intent is to make a motion at the AGM to adopt the by-law changes. If there are amendments suggested, we can discuss and vote on these at the AGM.

VOTING: We intend to post our voting procedure prior to the AGM so it is well understood and we know what we are doing prior to going into the meeting. I sincerely hope it will not be the same gong show that we had last time. We will make every effort to have it flow smoothly, we look forward to your cooperation and constructive input throughout the process.

Thanks,
Chris
Doonchak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

jangor wrote:

I agree with Geodug on transparency.

There were some questions asked this past year in this forum that have only been answered with what one might call "snippy" replies.

In particular, one of the questions asked was:

How many of each finish of the 2009 BCGA Geocoin were sold?

The answer given seemed to be a kind of "none of your business" reply.

I am wondering why this seems to be such a deep dark secret.

As this is supposed to be a major fund raiser for the BCGA, it would be nice to know if it was in fact successful or if we are holding on to excess inventory. A few regular coins would be OK as they can be given away at events etc.. Excess member only coins are a different story.

Now, there is a rumor that a third finish was made. Is this the case?

If this is indeed the case, why has it been kept a secret.

The posting for the Photo Contest confirms that there was a 3rd Finish called a Directors Edition made.

Personally, I see no issues with this and something that perhaps should be done in the future to thank those that are giving their time...however, the secrecy behind it until now once again will cause people to get up in arms and question the work the directors are doing.

Why there was a need to keep this secret is beyond me, but perhaps some of the directors can explain?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Doonchak wrote:

The posting for the Photo Contest confirms that there was a 3rd Finish called a Directors Edition made.

Personally, I see no issues with this and something that perhaps should be done in the future to thank those that are giving their time...however, the secrecy behind it until now once again will cause people to get up in arms and question the work the directors are doing.

Why there was a need to keep this secret is beyond me, but perhaps some of the directors can explain?

I can answer to this.

It was proposed by the coin committee that a third finish (the sample that was less favored by the committee) would be used to make a Directors version of the 2009 BCGA coin. The coin is antique silver with a red dream catcher part. The rest of the executive agreed and there were 11 coins made to be distributed as follows:
1. coulior - Secratary
2. Catapult Jeff - Director at large
3. boomerangpapa - Director at large
4. high maintenance - Vice President
5. landsharkz - President
6. mach2003 - Director at large
7. plumbrokeacres - Director at large
8. goaliegirl38 - Treasurer
9. canadianbacon - website guru
10. mtn-man - for all his hard work during our blitz
11. Quenton Harris - artist who donated the concept art for this years coin (see coin insert)

This was the current exec at that time. As mach2003 left before the coins arrived and was no longer interested in the coins, we have had one spare which we thought would be a great prize for our last photo contest.

The reason why it was never mentioned before publicly is that we really never thought there would be any problems with it. With all of the hours volunteered and the unclaimed mileage that everyone of us has made for BCGA purposes not to mention that it is not uncommon for groups to have Directors only coin, we thought this would be a nice way to say thank you. We really haven't gone to an extraordinary means to hide this coin as I know personally I have shown several members of the organization that weren't a part of the exec. I'm know that some of the other directors that have received the coin have shown others too!

So if this is a sore spot with some, I apologize for not having posted this before. It was never our intention to hide this coin and I hope that this clears things up.
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

oops! the admin response was mine! I forgot I was logged in under admin to post the sticky thread for the photo contest. just wanted to let you know!
Doonchak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

This is by no means an attempt to point any fingers...rather a hope that two groups that seem to be at odds can understand where each other are coming from... (and trust me boomerang, I know how frustrated you all must be...volunteer leading what in many ways is an anonymous group of people is a VERY thankless job...one which I have experience with and would have to think long and hard about before I would be willing to do it again) ...but I do think that this statement:

'The reason why it was never mentioned before publicly is that we really never thought there would be any problems with it.'

is in many ways the crux of what some of the more reasonable people are trying to get at. Whether it's an issue of trust or not, I don't know, but I don't think the general membership wants it to be up to anyone else but themselves as to whether or not they have a problem with something.

I don't think it comes down to everyone wanting to question every decision, or even have a hand in every decision...just know what the decisions are so that they can feel like they have some inkling of understanding as to what is going on behind the scenes and a chance to make their voices heard if they disagree with a decision being made...and hopefully to make their voices heard if they wholeheartedly agree with a decision that has been made.

I think the creation of a Community Manager position will help with this significantly, but only if the desire of the directorship is to be open and communicative with the general membership, one can't work without the other.

On that note however, to the membership...you also have to give a significant amount of trust into the people who you elect into the directors role. We can't elect them in and then expect them to clear everything they do by us all first...there is a reason why we are not all invited to Parliment to speak...nothing would EVER get done Smack

In the end, it needs to be a back and forth relationship. The members elect people that they feel will do a good job and represent them...and the directors need to ensure that they are always acting in the best interest of the group and its members, maintaining a postive and open relationship where they can not only accept the feedback of the membership, but action on it when appropriate.

Of course...if the above was easy, we wouldn't need to change government every 4 years would we, hehe.
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
SOLONM wrote:
Huh??
On the top of the page, near the Welcome 'your name' and Logout it will indicate if your a member.

On the Your Account Page, near bottom it will also show what Groups you are in, if you are a member you should be in the 'BCGA Member' group:

www.bcgeocaching.com/i...s&g=19

It shows me as a member as I think it should - I gave my application to catapult jeff with ID at the geocache me if you can event some time ago. Is it possible that there's a permission problem?

Thanks!
jangor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

admin wrote:

I can answer to this.

It was proposed by the coin committee that a third finish (the sample that was less favored by the committee) would be used to make a Directors version of the 2009 BCGA coin. The coin is antique silver with a red dream catcher part. The rest of the executive agreed and there were 11 coins made to be distributed as follows:
1. coulior - Secratary
2. Catapult Jeff - Director at large
3. boomerangpapa - Director at large
4. high maintenance - Vice President
5. landsharkz - President
6. mach2003 - Director at large
7. plumbrokeacres - Director at large
8. goaliegirl38 - Treasurer
9. canadianbacon - website guru
10. mtn-man - for all his hard work during our blitz
11. Quenton Harris - artist who donated the concept art for this years coin (see coin insert)

This was the current exec at that time. As mach2003 left before the coins arrived and was no longer interested in the coins, we have had one spare which we thought would be a great prize for our last photo contest.

The reason why it was never mentioned before publicly is that we really never thought there would be any problems with it. With all of the hours volunteered and the unclaimed mileage that everyone of us has made for BCGA purposes not to mention that it is not uncommon for groups to have Directors only coin, we thought this would be a nice way to say thank you. We really haven't gone to an extraordinary means to hide this coin as I know personally I have shown several members of the organization that weren't a part of the exec. I'm know that some of the other directors that have received the coin have shown others too!

So if this is a sore spot with some, I apologize for not having posted this before. It was never our intention to hide this coin and I hope that this clears things up.

Now we know. Thanks.

This was a question of disclosure. Back in July when there were some less than polite comments from the exec re coin sales and production, this coin was certainly not mentioned. The production total at that time was stated as 700 coins. Now it is stated as a few more than 700 which one must assume is the Directors Only version. Had this been disclosed when the original questions were asked and answered there would probably not have been an issue.

It is very appropriate to give a gift to canadianbacon for his great work on the web site, mtn-man for his help on the Blitz and other projects, and a coin for the artist.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
SOLONM, did you fill in a form and turn/send it in with some sort of ID to prove you are a BC resident? If so, you are a BCGA member!

Joining the forums isn't the same as being a voting member of the BCGA. Anyone worldwide can participate in the forums but only BC residents can be signed up voting members.

I joined BCGA at last year's AGM in Coquitlam. I believe it was Catapult Jeff who accepted my membership application.
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

We also have to remember that the Executive has been communicating with the membership all year. I personally wrote a lot of feature stories on all of our programs and we tried to include all the important facts which seemed relevant at the time. Chris, Kris, and Jeff have also written stories. We issued some newsletters too, and we posted notices to the Forums. These were all proactive initiatives and an attempt to communicate. We have also responded to members enquiries on a one-to-one basis.
We have not posted minutes of meetings, but in our review of past Boards, as far as we can see, no Board has ever done this. All of the minutes of AGMs are available on the website though.
The recent demand for "transparency" and due process was a new outcry and as far as we can see, started from a select group of members with a particular interest. Others picked up on it once the cry was started, but there was no mention (that I can find) of these kinds of expectations before Project Blue Sky. Although Project Blue Sky was a big success and the final financial position for BCGA is a wonderful legacy, there was a group of people that decided there was some kind of impropriety and started to ask how certain decisions were made and then inferred that the whole Board was involved in some kind of cover-up.
Up to Project Blue Sky we seemed to be communicating proactively and had a better PR profile. What happened to change that perception?
The whole issue of contracting for coins, pins, and swag was done in a rush. Our money came from funding partners who were setting the rules and they wanted a quick turn-around. One of our Directors (who has since resigned) took on the project and did his best to ensure a quick, fair, and efficient process. This was difficult for him because it was summer and much of our Board was away on holiday and at the same time, there was pressure to meet perceived guidelines. Dozens of emails were shared among Directors and over a too short period of time, the pressure of deadlines loomed and the Director in question recommended awarding the contracts to two companies. A committee was formed to review the bids and recommendations. A Skype meeting was called and the Directors who were available (I think there were 6) heard the recommendations and the Board voted on these. I took minutes of that meeting and forwarded them to the Board. Project Blue Sky was successful, but the short deadlines caused problems. Bidders did not feel the RFPs were fair. Deadlines dissolved when the funding parties changed their minds about deadlines and had to delay the start. Coin mints were late with their deliveries. The person in charge of the project resigned. Directors were away on holidays. The project had a number of other delays and obstacles. A number of people became unhappy and rumors of some sort of wrong-doing had begun. At that point, we would have been wise to have addressed the concerns, but we were still in the middle of the project and just trying to get it launched. We did not anticipate the snowball effect of the rumors. We still haven't set the record straight, but we have agreed to do so. Keep in mind, we still have not finished with the final accounting and inventory of the project. We have taken steps to do so and we ask the membership to allow us a little (volunteer) time to do it.
Did we handle Blue Sky well? I would be first to admit that if we could do it all over again, we would slow down, put some middle steps in place to absolutely assure that the perception of fairness, due process, and openness was understood and that was the way we conducted our business. At the time, we were in a rush, we should have done a better job on some of the details, and though we got the job done, we made some people quite unhappy. I have talked to the principal parties in this situation, but we can't undo the past.
It probably doesn't help, but I will offer an apology to the parties involved in the "business" part of Project Blue Sky. We could have done better. At the time we were focused on getting the job done quickly and now we know that rushing any process will lead to future problems.
A word of advice to the next Board: Go very slowly and carefully with contracting for coin, pin, or swag production. Use a clear, transparent process. You can do everything else right, but if this backfires on you, you will be facing the same criticisms we have since July.
geodug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

I think we all agree that Project BlueSky was an extraordinary event in the life of the BCGA. The Association had never undertaken a project of this scope and size before. As such, it should have been prudent to recognize this and address it with the respect it deserved.

Every project has its ups and downs, tos and fros, back and forths and this project was no exception. There are always changes, additions, deletions, substitutions, all this and more are normal events.

Your analysis is correct. If you had made all the adjustments you noted, the project would have performed much better. So in that respect you have answered your own question about what could have been done.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. The project appeared to be a success from a distance but what the members didn't know, was it was impossible to gauge the success or failure on a contract level.

Surprisingly, there are no meeting minutes, the contract is unavailable, about 50% of the contract sum is still owing, some fulfilment of the contract remains and no accounting records can verify anything.

We were told the problem was uncorrectable. To make matters worse, without formal records, it was clear the Association would be at a considerable financial risk for some time to come.

It should come as no surprise that the membership was shocked and had deep concerns over the management of this project.

Now you say that perhaps the records may be reconstructed with accounting records that will fairly represent how the contract was executed. I hope so, as this may somewhat reduce the financial risk and will go a long way to restore the faith lost since hearing the bad news.

If the Board is able to achieve this, the membership should be confident that these records are as accurate as possible. With all that has passed I would like to see all of these new records that are being created for Project BlueSky signed by each Director that had an involvement in the project. If all of you have confidence in the records then maybe the members can be too.
couloir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

What can I say?
Even though I have apologized for our inadvertent errors, we have committed to bringing more information forward once it is ready, we have tried to explain the challenges in reconciling the misperceptions, we have committed to an external financial review, we have committed to bringing minutes to the AGM, and none of us running again, some people just want blood.

New Directors beware.
HwyGuy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

I think Doonchak has stated my view on the problems very well.

I asked a few questions during the summer and received some small portions of answers to some of them. These answers could have come from a member at large or an Executive member. I don't keep a list of who is on the Executive and who isn't, so I was never sure. I have met one or two Executive members at events but I couldn't pick them out of a grocery lineup or their nicknames from a list. They might think they have some standing in my mind but that would be news to me.

Someone used the word snippy as a tone of a reply they had received and I would agree with that in my experience. Any time a question was asked it seemed to have been taken as a direct accusation of Executive motives, not as a simple question about a subject that was of interest to the questioner. That tends to get people wondering.

Couloir goes on at great length about all that was done to keep us informed during the year. The problem as I see it was that this information was not centralized into one Forum heading or highlighted as by an Executive member. The Presidents Blog could have done that but that particular Forum heading has been strangely quiet since February 8.

I was out of the country from the day Blue Sky started to the third week of October so I have no clue as to what possible problems there might be with Blue Sky if we didn't put money in and MAY get some out. If projects of this magnitude are going to cause such angst in the rank and file perhaps we should dial it back as an Association and let the people who make their living from geocaching carry the ball in the future.

The BCGA seems to have gone from a group of 6 or 7 scraping to get prizes for a couple of events a year to an Executive that feels it is being set upon by the membership. The main reason for this appears to be that they were lead into a project far beyond what volunteers from many areas of the province should be expected to handle. I for one don't think the BCGA needs to be a "money making enterprise", just a break even one.

I applaud the Executive for all the hard work they have done this year. It appears to have been a trying time for them all. They deserve their geocoin and our thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 2 of 2