CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Notice of Annual General Meeting
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Orca Whales
Orca Whales:  [?] . The killer whale is the largest dolphin. Seen from Southern Vancouver Island up to Alaska. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
October 2014
SMTWTFS
01 02 03 04
05 06 07 08 09 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

Fri Oct 31, 2014
Event Halloween

Tue Nov 11, 2014
Event Remembrance Day

Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» Notice of Annual General Meeting
toplefttopfilltopright
Notice of Annual General Meeting
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Notice of Annual General Meeting:

The BCGA will hold its Annual General Meeting (AGM) On November 14th
in Hope at the Hope Golf Club. 900 Golf Course Road
Hope, BC. There are a number of important items
that will be voted upon at this meeting including the following:

Directors. As with every year, all positions are open to members.
Voting will take place at the AGM. If you can not be present please
fill out and send a proxy form to someone who will be attending. Proxy
forms will be sent to all members.

Electronic Voting. Bylaw changes are proposed (below) to enable
electronic voting for the association. This will allow all members the
opportunity to vote. You have the opportunity to vote for or against
these changes.

Other business
conducted at the AGM will include reports from the
board and any other business as requested by the membership. An
official "Agenda" will be published prior to the meeting.

Attached are the by-law revisions to enable electronic voting for next year. If you have any comments, please post. Please try to keep comments constructive.   full article.
jangor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Proposals look good and seem to be a step forward for the BCGA.

Two questions:

1. Is there a process in place for nominations?

2. What is the process for putting forth additional bylaw changes if any, that will give the membership time to consider them prior to the AGM.?
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

jangor wrote:
Proposals look good and seem to be a step forward for the BCGA.

Two questions:

1. Is there a process in place for nominations?

2. What is the process for putting forth additional bylaw changes if any, that will give the membership time to consider them prior to the AGM.?

A1. We are working on getting a thread started up where people can make their own thread within stating their story. ie. Who they are, qualifications, position they are running for etc. This should be up shortly.

A2. It is my understanding that proposed bylaw changes must be advertised to the membership 30 days before the AGM to give everyone time to read up and ask questions. That being said, I think that it is too late to propose any new bylaws for this AGM but any proposals could be made at the AGM for the next executive to consider. They can at that point choose to call an EGM to work on those proposals.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

To help in understanding the full year and making decisions I hereby request that full minutes of all meetings from the last year be posted & shared with the members.
geodug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Tulameen_Turtles wrote:
To help in understanding the full year and making decisions I hereby request that full minutes of all meetings from the last year be posted & shared with the members.

I had no idea there were missing minutes from past meetings. How many are there that are yet unposted?

I would like to see them as well as transparency in a society is not only necessary it is vital.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

We'll check on what is posted and compare to what there is. There was only one general meeting (last year's AGM) and a few director's meeting... give us a short while to check and make sure all is up that should be up.

For nominations, please make nominations by e-mail. It would help if you know that the person will accept the nomination. Please indicate if that is the case in your e-mail, otherwise we'll contact them and ask if they will accept the nomination prior to posting their running.

Thanks.
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Was not a Conflict of Interest clause to be added to the BCGA policies?

"We also talked about this one at the last meeting. It was agreed that there has been a problem in the past however that most organizations have a Conflict Of Interest policy that
they follow which up to this point the BCGA did not have. We are drafting a C.O.I policy and will be recommending them shortly."
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Yes, we will recommend a COI policy, (we'll post prior to the AGM) but not as a component of the by-laws. It has been recommended that there be a policy that directors sign onto and this seems like a sensible approach.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

As far as minutes are concerned, the BCGA has only ever posted minutes of general meetings (AGMs and EGMs). I have looked at what has been posted and indeed I think we are up to date. There have been no general meetings since the last AGM, so therefore no minutes missing.

Over the past many years, the directors have met both formally and informally and made decisions with regards to BCGA operations. In the formal director meetings, there have been minutes taken. These have been kept with the BCGA secretary's documentation. This has been the case this year. The minutes are usually kept so we can remember what it was we said we'd do, and as a reminder as to how we are going to manage certain aspects of projects (like Bluesky for example). It is often not really appropriate to make these minutes public at the time they are being prepared and used by the directors because they sometimes contain information about things (like the implementation of Project Bluesky or other items) that are not fully worked out or decided upon. Sometimes things get discussed and go through a number of iterations and molding prior to being appropriate for public release. These minutes are not secret, but to this point in time, have been held with the association's documentation and available for viewing upon request, usually at the AGM. They are of course available to our membership and if you wish to see them they will be available at the upcoming AGM. Mrs. Turtle... if you wish to see them and do not wish to wait until the AGM, then we'll have to make arrangements for that... we can discuss that by e-mail.

The policy of not posting director-meeting minutes could be changed... but we are so close to the AGM, and the opportunity for people to look at them anyway, that I would rather leave a decision on changing this operating procedure to the next board.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

One last note about director-meeting minutes... They can sometimes contain information that is somewhat confidential, including discussions about particular members for one reason or another. This may be related to decision to bring forward a motion to expel a member (or a decision to not bring such a motion forward) or may be as simple as an agreement to ask a specific person to volunteer for something. Also as mentioned before, there is often information that can be related to negotiations with vendors or provincial/federal/of municipal governments. This type information should not be posted for the general public so I would hope that future boards do not change this policy or they may cripple their ability to function.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

While I do understand where you are coming from, I highly doubt that it would "cripple" the board to operate to make minutes public after a meeting. In many of the other associations that I am part of it is practice to:

A) Hold a monthly public meeting
B) Post minute meetings ASAP
C) Receive approval from the members prior to paying a check

While it is understood they are normally all very local and obviously A & C are not feasible I would like to make a motion that minute meetings are posted ASAP. Based on many converstations that I have read on the forums over the last year perhaps having those minutes posted could have relieved some of the members concerns.

I also believe this should be required before Electronic voting can be implemented. If members from the prior Board are re-running, those minutes could impact how a person may vote.

For those that will have to provide proxy votes and not able to attend the meeting, if you would like to restrict them to member only viewing then perhaps it may be feasible to send electronic copies to the members? I would like copies prior to the meeting please.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Tulameen_Turtles wrote:
While I do understand where you are coming from, I highly doubt that it would "cripple" the board to operate to make minutes public after a meeting. In many of the other associations that I am part of it is practice to:

A) Hold a monthly public meeting
B) Post minute meetings ASAP
C) Receive approval from the members prior to paying a check

While it is understood they are normally all very local and obviously A & C are not feasible I would like to make a motion that minute meetings are posted ASAP. Based on many converstations that I have read on the forums over the last year perhaps having those minutes posted could have relieved some of the members concerns.

I also believe this should be required before Electronic voting can be implemented. If members from the prior Board are re-running, those minutes could impact how a person may vote.

For those that will have to provide proxy votes and not able to attend the meeting, if you would like to restrict them to member only viewing then perhaps it may be feasible to send electronic copies to the members? I would like copies prior to the meeting please.

The three points you intially bring up seem like red herrings - they do not apply to the fact that our directors can indeed meet, discuss BCGA issues and not have to provide us with a transcript of their discussion.

If they call a public meeting, well of course the minutes are made public. If they call a meeeting of the membership, well of course they should post the minutes.

If two or three or all the directors meet to discuss BCGA business, in person or on a conference call, good for them. They don't have to even take minutes, and we have no need to see their private notes.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

I echo TT's comments and would like as much info as possible before the elections. I feel in the dark as to what is happening in and with BCGA.
I didn't read TT's post as asking for every last detail micro managing but as a summary when discussion has reached that point.
Looking forward to an election thread. Let the discussion begin!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:

The three points you intially bring up seem like red herrings - they do not apply to the fact that our directors can indeed meet, discuss BCGA issues and not have to provide us with a transcript of their discussion.

If they call a public meeting, well of course the minutes are made public. If they call a meeeting of the membership, well of course they should post the minutes.

If two or three or all the directors meet to discuss BCGA business, in person or on a conference call, good for them. They don't have to even take minutes, and we have no need to see their private notes.

Let us not forget that this is a Society and transparency is very important.

The Directors work for the membership and not vice versa. If there is anything of material importance or interest to the membership, then information needs to be made available. That information does not need to be public and can be made available to members only in a number of different ways.

There should be no reluctance on the Directors to provide that information. Let's set up a members only section on the forums and provide that information well ahead of the election. Why can't we do that in the next few days?
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

MsChief-Gps_y wrote:
I echo TT's comments and would like as much info as possible before the elections. I feel in the dark as to what is happening in and with BCGA.
I didn't read TT's post as asking for every last detail micro managing but as a summary when discussion has reached that point.
Looking forward to an election thread. Let the discussion begin!

There actually is a section for this that was started a few days ago. (Link below)

BCGA 2009 Candidates

Any member can start a discussion there and that will also be the place where members who throw their hat into the ring will be able to do their own little write up on themselves by starting a thread by their own name.
jangor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

geodug wrote:

Let us not forget that this is a Society and transparency is very important.

The Directors work for the membership and not vice versa. If there is anything of material importance or interest to the membership, then information needs to be made available. That information does not need to be public and can be made available to members only in a number of different ways.

There should be no reluctance on the Directors to provide that information. Let's set up a members only section on the forums and provide that information well ahead of the election. Why can't we do that in the next few days?

I agree with Geodug on transparency.

There were some questions asked this past year in this forum that have only been answered with what one might call "snippy" replies.

In particular, one of the questions asked was:

How many of each finish of the 2009 BCGA Geocoin were sold?

The answer given seemed to be a kind of "none of your business" reply.

I am wondering why this seems to be such a deep dark secret.

As this is supposed to be a major fund raiser for the BCGA, it would be nice to know if it was in fact successful or if we are holding on to excess inventory. A few regular coins would be OK as they can be given away at events etc.. Excess member only coins are a different story.

Now, there is a rumor that a third finish was made. Is this the case?

If this is indeed the case, why has it been kept a secret.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Concerns regarding Conflict of Interest have been raised, therefore rules should be adopted as part of the BCGA Bylaws and a proposal for inclusion of this should be before the membership well before the AGM. I would like to see what is proposed posted here as soon as possible, even if it cannot be adopted into the Bylaws for this year.

It would appear that electronic voting can be handled for election of officers of the BCGA, however I cannot see how resolutions and in particular Special Resolutions can be voted on electronically. In all organizations I have been a part of, including Province wide British Columbia Amateur Hockey Association, there have been resolutions put forward at the AGM’s, however there is a need to be able to discuss those proposed changes and if necessary amend those resolutions to suit the membership. Electronic voting does not allow for that to happen.

I would therefore suggest that the Proposed change 22(3) to electronic voting on these resolutions would not allow for discussion and amendments, and should be removed from the proposed electronic voting process.

In all organizations I have been a part of it was required that 75% of the members voting must be in favor of a Special Resolution for it to pass, some resolutions and motions can be passed with a simple majority, however I have never seen changes made to the Constitution and Bylaws allowed without a 75% vote in favor. Is this a requirement for changes to the BCGA Bylaws as well?

I would think that if BCGA is to go forward with electronic voting then it should be managed in a manner deemed appropriate by the membership, not just the directors. It should also be observed by more than one person and that those persons not be (1) past or current members of the executive (2) be arms length from any past or present member or member currently running for an elected position. If you are going to have electronic voting then it must be as fair and honest as can be achieved.

landsharkz wrote:
One last note about director-meeting minutes... They can sometimes contain information that is somewhat confidential, including discussions about particular members for one reason or another. This may be related to decision to bring forward a motion to expel a member (or a decision to not bring such a motion forward) or may be as simple as an agreement to ask a specific person to volunteer for something.

Please tell me I misread this and that there really was no discussion to expel a member from the BCGA, what on earth are we doing here, this is not the “CLAN” that I am a member of, and there sure should be no such discussions going on at executive meetings. This part of the Bylaws needs to be dealt with at the upcoming AGM.

Minutes should be kept for all meetings and they should be made available to the membership upon their request. In all organizations I have been involved with that was the case, and BCGA should be no different.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

doingitoldschool wrote:

If the directors are meeting and discussing the business of BCGA, whether in person or by conference call and any decisions are made during those meetings, then there sure had better be minutes kept, and there sure needs to be a willingness to make those discussions and decisions known to the membership.

You are not at liberty to conduct the business of this or any other Society in secret. If at any time some decision was made during such a meeting, then that information should most certainly be posted for the membership to see. We should be able to be accomplish this easily since we are talking about incorporating a much more sophisticated form of electronic voting to being a part of BCGA's future.
couloir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

This whole issue of meetings and minutes is made into a big deal, but consider this:
1. Directors from this year lived in Prince George, Ashcroft, Kamloops, Victoria, Kelowna, and the Lower Mainland. When we hear the word "meetings," we are really talking about a series of hundreds of emails.
2. Out of a series of emails with up to 9 people responding, discussing, making comments, making offhand comments, some not responding, etc. we eventually reached some conclusions. In most cases, this was a final email on a topic from whomever was in charge of that project. The decision was captured in the last email, but the process sometimes took days or even weeks and the only "minutes" that could be provided were the collective comments of 9 Directors, sometimes hundreds of lines of text.
3. Should there have been an official "meeting" to verify every decision? This is a hard one to determine. How do we get people from all over the province to meet without incurring costs and how do we coordinate all of the decisions and people's availability? We chose the email route for much of the year.
4. Were the hundreds of emails a "meeting' which required "minutes?"
5. For most of these collective decisions we instead wrote news articles or posted into the Forums. We felt that these more adequately explained the whole initiative where minutes (when there weren't really any minutes) would not. Clearly a number of members do not agree with this approach, but that is hindsight now.
6. We did have 3 Skype meetings. Not everyone attended the meetings and the absent Directors were not always happy with the decisions made, but they chose not to attend the meetings, and so the quorum of officers had to proceed without them. All 3 meetings had notes taken and minutes were shared as an email following the meeting. Most of these were brief, as in: "We discussed how to fund the Robson Square cache and a motion was made to fund the cache for up to $150. The motion was passed unanimously." I was responsible for the notes and write up for 2 of these meetings and I almost always keep the minutes short, often one or two sentences per item discussed, sticking to the requirements of the rules of order and the Society's Act.
7. There was no "conspiracy" to hide minutes. Our first Secretary resigned and the second secretary (that was me) sent simple email summaries. I stepped down as Secretary and the last meeting was a collective effort.
8. For the now-infamous BlueSky Project, the project leader managed all of the critical discussions by email. This included all facets of the project up to the final stages. His emails were plentiful and were full of discussions, debates, and more. All of us fill our emails with non-business language and these dozens of emails were a "mixed bag" of business, chat, and so on. As we came to the final stages of the coins, pins, swag, etc., the Director in question resigned and the remaining Board was left with piecing together some form of paper trail. A Skype meeting was called and most (but not all) of the Board participated. Decisions were ratified at this point, but we struggled with getting all the facts because of the resignation.
9. To provide "minutes" one of the Directors would have to sift through hundreds (if not thousands) of emails and try to determine which ones reflected "meetings." As we have no current Secretary and the end of term for this Executive is less than 3 weeks away, I would suggest this is not going to happen.
10. It makes more sense for the Membership to ask the new incoming Executive to take a more formal approach to "meetings" and "minutes."
If members are unhappy with the current set of Directors, then they should vote in someone else for next year.
11. If the new Executive chooses this route, they will still have to deal with provincial representation and trying to meet from all corners of the province with a limited budget for expenses for travel. Perhaps all that is needed is someone to ensure that monthly Skype meetings are called at a set date and that someone records minutes in a format that can be posted to the website. This would be the probable duties of the new president, vice president, and secretary.
12. Clearly this year's Executive's informal approach to meetings and minutes has caused some concerns for many members. Since I took notes for part of the year for 2 Skype meetings and participated in most of the email discussions, I wish to offer my apology for not taking a more formal approach. We thought we were working our best to better geocaching, but when difficult decisions are made, a good paper trail is also needed. Since I am not running for the Executive again next year, the best I can do now is to assist the new Directors in whatever way I can.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

[quote="couloir"]This whole issue of meetings and minutes is made into a big deal,

In every organization I have been part of, meetings and correct recording of said minutes were vital to the transparency of the business of the organization. It ensures those we have elected are indeed conducting the business in accordance to the rules & bylaws we have all embraced.
This is essential.
If there are issues with this in the past, there is nothing we as a membership can do about it now.
What we can and must do is learn from this and ensure this never happens again.
I do not understand why we have to vote for officers.....it makes more sense to vote for a slate of directors & have those folks make a choice as to who is best suited for the appointed roles.
Secret ballot (providing there are more candidates than required) should be the voting procedure & the ballots destroyed after the successful candidates are declared elected and the vote is finished.
Electronic voting is a wonderful thing but it sure didn't test out well in Florida, did it?
I'd sure like to see some input from the folks in the rest of the province.........
geodug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

couloir wrote:
This whole issue of meetings and minutes is made into a big deal

Thanks couloir for weighing in. The purpose of recording meeting minutes is to communicate what actually has taken place in the administration of an organization. In this case, our Society communicates with all of its members who have an interest in how their Association is run.

At this moment, there is no record of how Project BlueSky was run. There is no record of the agreements that were ultimately made between BCGA and the various parties. Finally, there is no accounting to show the members what transactions took place during this project.

We are fast approaching the AGM and the members are deserving to have this information available to them. The Board of Directors of BCGA are obligated to give them that information at the earliest possible moment so that the membership may make an informed decision.
couloir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Of course I agree that meetings and minutes are part of an organization's accountability and in every organization some form of records are kept, some formal, some informal (we were both informal and electronic). For many origanizations minutes are taken but never published.
For this Executive, no traditional meetings were held and all discussion was in the form of emails or Skype discussions and all reports were not minutes published but were news stories and forum posts. Some email "minutes" were shared among the Executive, but these were not formal minutes that could be posted. Are we asking for someone to rewrite the notes and emails? This is not transparency; it is rewriting a history of a year of activity and will be incomplete since three key Directors resigned. I don't have all the information and I would seriously doubt any of us do.
If the membership thinks that face-to-face meetings are required and that formal minutes are essential, then the new Executive has to be prepared to travel and the new Executive has to put some provisions in place to ensure the formal approach is followed. Perhaps those who feel most strongly about this issue should put their names forward to provide a slate of Directors that believe that an informal approach is not taken again.

As my final word on this, I wonder if all the fuss about the informal approach taken has overshadowed all the work that Directors have done this year? We all worked hard this year in spite of what the critics say. The moral of the story is that the Executive has to ensure there is a good paper trail or will be open to criticisms, even if they have no foundation.
geodug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

couloir wrote:

I don't have all the information and I would seriously doubt any of us do.

I am going to hold my reaction to this until the President of BCGA confirms that there is no record existing for Project BlueSky and there will be no record forthcoming in the future.
geodug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Proper recording keeping is important and meeting minutes are near the top of the list. Many do not realize that Societies and it's Directors are just as vulnerable to lawsuits as any other organization and some argue Societies are more so.

In the event of a lawsuit the meeting minutes will show who was in favour, who was not, who voted, who abstained etc. etc. This tells the membership how their Directors felt about the various topics discussed during a meeting but it also becomes the framework for any future problems.

Using a hypothetical BlueSky scenario, let's say 3 Directors pushed to include a foreign made toy into each cache. 2 Directors were against the idea for various reasons and a vote was taken and the toy idea was passed. A few years later a child suffers injury caused by lead based paint used on the toy.

The parents then sue BCGA, BC and Project BlueSky. The Province and Project BlueSky argue they didn't know anything about the toy and the bulk of the blame rests at the feet of BCGA.

This is when the Directors who voted "No" desparately need a good set of minutes. It may be the difference between living their normal lives to bankruptcy. Or maybe not if they didn't argue more strongly against using the toys.

Have you checked your Director's insurance lately?
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Although this thread has not provided answers to some of the questions posed from some members, it has become apparent that only one of the current executive was willing to come forward and provide those following this thread some insight as to how the “meetings” and business of the Association was conducted over the past year. Thanks to Couloir for doing that, and thank you also for the hard work he has put into the Association during the past year.
No one questions the work that is involved in being a volunteer, and the seemingly thankless aspect of the job. However I believe those members that have presented concerns on this thread and in previous forum posts are deserving of answers to their questions, these same members expect the Associations business to be conducted in a open and transparent manner, with the membership being kept abreast of all of the business being conducted.
It is my opinion that the questions presented in this thread should be answered in this thread, that way all members can assess those answers and form their own opinions as to voting in the upcoming AGM.
Can we expect to have these questions answered in a timely fashion?
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Anybody know what time the meeting is?
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

IRLPGUY wrote:
Although this thread has not provided answers to some of the questions posed from some members, it has become apparent that only one of the current executive was willing to come forward and provide those following this thread some insight as to how the “meetings” and business of the Association was conducted over the past year. Thanks to Couloir for doing that, and thank you also for the hard work he has put into the Association during the past year.

It is not necessary for each and individual executive member to come on these forums each time a comment is made just to throw in their 2 cents. In this case, Doug chose to come on and let everyone know what the situation was this year. That doesn't mean that the rest of us are just sitting by doing nothing but rather that Doug was the spokesperson at that time for that comment. Would their be much point of each and every one of us coming and and saying the same exact thing...no. As someone has suggested before in a different thread, it would be great to have one director as a spokesperson to keep everyone in the know about the dealings of the BCGA. If this was the case, then you certainly wouldn't be hearing from every one of the board members then either! I assure you that Doug is not the only one that is paying attention and if the rest of us thought he had missed something then we would have posted otherwise.

The AGM will be held at 1pm and it will be posted as an event on geocaching.com once we submit it tonight.

There will be a report of Project BlueSky completed for the AGM (as best as we can due to the resignation of key directors as Doug had mentioned). You have to remember that when someone resigns we have no way of knowing if what they give us is all of their information so we get what we get. So it is entirely possible that none of the remaining directors have all of the information that everyone so desparately needs. Heck, I can email you the thousands of email (actually thousands!!) I have received this year alone due to the BCGA and the affairs and you could sift though it and make it on your own if you want! Seriously now, though our communications haven't been on par with everyone's expectations, we have nothing to hide. Yes better record keeping is obviously something the next board will have to better us on and in my opinion a weekly BCGA update is in need as there are so many concerned members that need to know what is happening and that we aren't squandering the BCGA riches!

This year, no matter how the Project BlueSky came about and the problems associated with it, the BCGA will have gained the BIGGEST windfall it has ever had to my knowledge. This is GREAT as it means that the future board can continue to have a program such as this next year even though in all likelihood the government won't be handing out any money for programs such as this due to the economy. So we should be happy and proud of what the BCGA has helped bring in.

Re: the BCGA coins, same thing. Yes their were delays, conflicts with what some people thought was appropriate for the content of the coin and whether we ordered too many etc. In the end, we ordered just over 700 coins! Unlike other years, we actually ordered more extras as we knew that not everyone hits the fourms everyday and during the summer a lot of people don't come on for long periods of times...maybe even enough to miss the whole pre-sales! Even so, we are about 40 coins away from selling out the regular coin (which we intend to sell at the upcoming AGM) and we have under 100 members only coins left (haven't done the exact count so we will guess high). Keep in mind that the previous exec had kept 70 coins for prizes and we planned to do the same. So in the end even though we had a late start selling the coin (several months in comparision to last years) we have done fairly well catching up in sales! And again, in the end, we have a beautiful coin this year to add to everyone's collections and the BCGA's history.

IRLPGUY wrote:
Please tell me I misread this and that there really was no discussion to expel a member from the BCGA, what on earth are we doing here, this is not the “CLAN” that I am a member of, and there sure should be no such discussions going on at executive meetings.

Now this I take offense to as we all should. This comment is totally inappropriate and in my opinion uncalled for. Let me draw you a better scenario then Chris tried to sum up. Lets say that there is someone harassing others on the forums and after several warnings they continue to do so. Harassment will NOT be tolerated in the BCGA forums as it is against what this whole organization is about and we want to maintain a friendly environment for everyone to feel comfortable contributing to. It would then be the boards responsibility, no, our duty to discuss whether that person should be expelled as a member. And if you think that that way of thinking is so "CLAN" like then I think that you need to re-evaluate what you think this organization is all about.

So has it been perfect the way that the BCGA has been run...hell no! But have we succeeded to get the job done anyway...hell yes!

For everyone complaining that things should be posted online to give everyone enough time blah blah blah.....not one person has thrown their hat in the ring since we put the thread on there days ago now...and yes...there should be something now as it takes but a few moments from posting anything around here before people jump in with their comments.

I joined the BCGA to be part of a great community. I ran for executive to have fun with that community and to try and help bring activities to its members. I personally wanted to help create a coin that everyone would enjoy. I think that geocaching is a great sport that everyone from barely walking young to the barely walking old should enjoy and though I am new to working in any kind of organization such as this, I know that I along with the other directors did a fairly good job this year for the heart of the BCGA. I know that the original intent of this organization was to embrace the love of geocaching with fellow BCers and not to politicize the doggy doo out of a sport we all are suppose to love so much. I used to enjoy geocaching so much and this year VOLUTEERING has really taken that shine off of it.

I wanted this BCGA thing to be something I could contribute to for many years but now I for one can hardly wait for Nov 14th to come so I can step down and let someone else get their geocache-loving soul sucked right out of them. I'm pretty sure that there will be none of us running again and at the rate of everyone throwing their hats in the ring for next years board is looking pretty slim.

I'm stepping back, to the things that really matter in life. My family and friends.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

boomerangpapa wrote:

Now this I take offense to as we all should. This comment is totally inappropriate and in my opinion uncalled for. Let me draw you a better scenario then Chris tried to sum up. Lets say that there is someone harassing others on the forums and after several warnings they continue to do so. Harassment will NOT be tolerated in the BCGA forums as it is against what this whole organization is about and we want to maintain a friendly environment for everyone to feel comfortable contributing to. It would then be the boards responsibility, no, our duty to discuss whether that person should be expelled as a member. And if you think that that way of thinking is so "CLAN" like then I think that you need to re-evaluate what you think this organization is all about.

I spoke to the scenario that Chris presented, if what you are suggesting is what he really meant, then a person "harassing" someone else on these forums can be dealt with by removing their ability to post to the forums, it would not require the expulsion of the member. I will repeat what I said earlier, the Bylaw that deals with the expulsion of a member needs to be dealt with, it must be clear as to what would constitute a reason for expulsion.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

boomerangpapa, you are right on.

Having been at the helm during a very disruptive time in the assocation, I can only support the decision to remove membership from a member who makes it a point to be totally disruptive and disrespectful to the other members. I think that as an executive you might expect to take some heat, but other members should not have to put up with that type of behavior. Someone who has such odds with the goals of the association should probably start their own society, with different goals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

boomerangpapa wrote:

Re: the BCGA coins In the end, we ordered just over 700 coins! Unlike other years, we actually ordered more extras as we knew that not everyone hits the fourms everyday and during the summer a lot of people don't come on for long periods of times...maybe even enough to miss the whole pre-sales! Even so, we are about 40 coins away from selling out the regular coin (which we intend to sell at the upcoming AGM) and we have under 100 members only coins left (haven't done the exact count so we will guess high).

Thanks for the answer on the coin production and sales of the 2009 BCGA Geocoin.

The only question remaining is the third finish. We did receive an email from another member who says they have seen one so we now assume that the rumor is true.

How many? Who got them? How much did they pay for them? Why is it a secret???
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

First I do apologize for the rucus that my questions caused, in no way did I possibly imagine that asking to see the minutes would spiral into what it did. That was not my intent, my hope was to see the minutes of the meetings that were fit for public viewing to identify what projects are complete, what is outstanding and how did items progress during the year.

This has been a trying year for the BCGA, the energies that have been put forth have been tremendous and there is not questioning their hard work and wanting to make a positive impact.

Times are changing for geocaching, what started out as a can of beans in a bucket & fun and games with no money involved - except for million dollar satellites in the sky that are about to fall down.

The last few years have seen $100,000's of dollars put into geocaching within the province of BC through Shushaw, Gold Rush, Geo Rush & Blue Sky projects. There have been some great wins for many geocachers in BC. There also have come to light some trials and tribulations that come from any learning experience.

I was not involved with the BCGA when it started, it has grown from a grass roots group to a solid provincial representative with some great opportunities that have occured and on the horizon. However with growth must come change to ensure that those changes are productive and positive experiences for all and that we do not run the risk of negativity.

I agree with Brian in that there does need to be a "member liason" there also needs to be solid communication & documentation, Dug brought up the prospect of Duty & Officer liability. Like it or not it is a reality in this world.

Again if I caused personal upset to the directors I do apologize, however I was simply moving forward a motion that:

Before electronic voting can be implemented that we need a way to communicate the minutes on a routine basis to the members

As if we wait for information to come to light at an AGM that may have been disclosed in the minutes that could alter a vote then there could be an issue.
IRLPGUY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Thank you Mrs Landsharkz for clearing up my misunderstanding as to where the funds came from for this years Blue Sky program and to clear up the funding of the program last year.
There is also a clear misunderstanding for my motives in suggesting an independent auditor, I have no doubt that the current and past executive dealt with the spending of the Associations money in an appropriate manner, the suggestion of an auditor was not in any way to prove or disprove that fact.

The appointment of an auditor is relevant to the Societies Act and has been required in all of the organizations I have been a part of. I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of this Act, however I know there are requirements that the executive and membership may not be aware of when it comes to the receipt of and spending of money in a non profit society, and how that might effect the BCGA's need for independent audit.

In all of my posts to this thread I have made reference to the Executive, I have “not” singled out any particular director for criticism or judgment, why some feel free to suggest that I am at odds with the Association in this or other posts puts their comments on a personal note, I have not done that and I expect to be treated no differently.

I, like others questioned the lack of minutes of meetings, and transparency in the spending of the Associations monies, I also asked a question regarding electronic voting where it pertains to Special Resolutions. No one has addressed my question nor suggested a solution to what I perceive to be a problem with the electronic voting.

Finally, I have the greatest respect for those who volunteer their time to a cause they wish to see succeed. I have volunteered for many years, and have thought many times it was not worth the hassle, I have put my time in as a volunteer, however throughout that time I always respected the memberships ability to question how and what I had done, or was doing.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

boomerangpapa wrote:
I wanted this BCGA thing to be something I could contribute to for many years but now I for one can hardly wait for Nov 14th to come so I can step down and let someone else get their geocache-loving soul sucked right out of them.

Hmmm I wonder why nobody has shown interest in becoming a new director Detective

As an outgoing director, making comments like this doesn't exactly help me to decide if I want to run or not (for the record, I'm not running, nor do I feel that I'm ready to take on such responsibility). What's done is done, so push the negatives aside (the new executive can work on those) and keep your head high knowing that you did in fact help to take geocaching in BC to new levels.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

hmmm......I'd like this to get back to the intended topic. We have an AGM coming up. There are proposed amendments to the bylaws. So far I don't see anyone contributing to those amendments.
All this info needs to be in place 30 days before the AGM.
I would also like to know what the SOPs are. Is there a link for this?
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Interesting:

".....not one person has thrown their hat in the ring since we put the thread on there days ago now...and yes...there should be something now as it takes but a few moments from posting anything around here before people jump in with their comments."

I don't know about anyone else, but when I followed the link to see who else had already post their bios and to post my own, all I got was a pleasant little message telling me the forum doesnt exist.

I tried to find it manually.

If someone can point me in the right direction, i'd be happy to lob my hat into the proverbial ring.

Thanks!
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
hmmm......I'd like this to get back to the intended topic. We have an AGM coming up. There are proposed amendments to the bylaws. So far I don't see anyone contributing to those amendments.
All this info needs to be in place 30 days before the AGM.
I would also like to know what the SOPs are. Is there a link for this?
Hi Solonm,

You will find the SOPs with the other BCGA documents. Look on the left hand side bar under BCGA: About BCGA, then click on the BCGA Documents. You will find it there. Thank you for bringing up the issue of the SOPs. After all this time I had never noticed that it wasn't online. So now it is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Chewy_06 wrote:

I tried to find it manually.

If someone can point me in the right direction, i'd be happy to lob my hat into the proverbial ring.

Thanks!

hmmm...weird..it's there?

Let me try another link here:

BCGA 2009 Candidates Forum

Hope this works!
couloir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Out of a two hour Skype meeting tonight we have resolved to try to address some of the concerns raised. Each one of them takes some work. There was one post made already and more are planned. We will do our best to address the ones that we can, but we need to prioritize which ones come first. Lots of individual members are making demands, but we have to address the ones that we have jointly agreed as a Board.
Minutes were taken tonight as they have for the last 3 meetings and we will be summarizing these in either stories or Forum posts as we did before. Minutes will be filed into the Secretary's book and brought to the AGM, along with the other minutes that we can rescue from email limbo. A Director has agreed to do that search.
Since the whole Board is resigning at the AGM within 3 weeks and an entire new Board will be elected, the membership can let the new Directors know how they would like business conducted in 2010. It would be nice to see those who post objections so strongly forward their names as Directors for next year.
SOLONM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

thank you....so what do we do about the 30 day notification clause Snorkel
SOLONM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

As a BCGA member I have no idea what a Skype meeting might be about. Frankly, following these forums is very hard work. I suspect that lots of the responses to these forums are the result of a myriad of email communications and oh my, I'm sure there are lots fluttering about as I type.
All I want to know is that if I were to attend an AGM (as I did last year) there would be correct voting procedures followed.
I would also want to be ensured that the society is following the correct procedures for filing their reports to Victoria............and if we are going to vote on any amendments to the bylaws would be available 30 days prior to the meeting.
I applaud all of you who want to play the game fairly & well....we are all in this together
cheers
S
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 2