CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» info on gps garmin oregon 200
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Herons
Herons:  [?] . Herons are a common sight along British Columbia's waterways. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» info on gps garmin oregon 200
toplefttopfilltopright
info on gps garmin oregon 200
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heepthing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

im new to geocaching =and was using my blackberry and seems to work not bad. my wife bought me that oregon 200 from costco for $350 and comes with Topo Canada cd. on my blackberry it has a compass and this new garmin does not,it seems a bit easier to understand with a compass. how many of you guys use a compass and for this price is there a better gps i should buy.what other models may be easier or better.i have looked at the gspmap 60cx or 60csx?

thanks jason
savant9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

While the oregon 200 doesn't physically have a compass in it, it does have a compass screen which functions in basically the same fashion, you just need to be moving for it to give you an "accurate" direction.

Although for $375 you can get the Oregon 300 from gpscity, which does have a compass and barometer built in as well as more memory and wireless transfer from similar units. It does not come with the topo maps, but free maps can be downloaded if you google for Ibycus topo canada.

www.gpscity.ca/garmin-...n-300.html

No PST as they are located in Alberta and free shipping with coupon code "BCGEO2008"

Here is the comparison of the 2 units from garmin

buy.garmin.com/shop/co...duct=14903
heepthing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

so i looked and it sounds like the one complaint about the oregon series is that it is sometimes hard to see the screen,as i tried my oregon 200 a couple days ago and it was a bit as the sreen wasn't dark enough. so im a little leary about ordering the 300 and maybe going towards the gpsmap 60scx.

any info on this one would be great as im going to need to get it very soon.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

I don't have an Oregon (yet), but I don't have any issues with reading my Colorado's screen.

In my opinion, it would be foolhardy to get a 60CSx these days unless you are willing to sacrifice the paperless geocaching functionality of the Colorado and Oregon series for the accuracy of the 60CSx. Even then, some will argue that the Colorado and Oregon series are just as accurate, if not more accurate.

Just my Two Cents
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

I have the Oregon 300 and I LOVE it.

Yes the screen can be a bit dim compared to the 60csx and such but the paperless caching is AMAZING! I think the Oregon 300 compared to the 60csx is a bit less accurate (from caching in groups where my friends have the 60) but personally the paperless caching more than makes up for it for me. I think once you get to an area you more or less put the gps down to look anyway so if its off a bit compared to others then it's not a huge deal.

If you really have trouble seeing and don't care about paperless caching then I would recommend the 60csx. Otherwise the Oregon is great! If you are less budget minded Very Happy then I heard the Oregon 550's screen is supposed to be a bit better (at least in the touch part of it) and it has a camera built in too that would make it one less thing to carry! GRrrr...now I want that one!

Good luck in your shopping!
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

Two comments;

depending on when you bought your Oregon 200, you might want to go back to Costco and try to needle them for the $50 manufacturer's discount that that had on it about 4 weeks ago. We bought ours for $299 at the one in Richmond. The argument is a weak one, but $50 is $50.

We have a 60Cx and an Oregon 200. No issues with screen illumination on the Oregon. The touch screen is a little cludgey (technical description) for me and my ham hands, but my wife, who is the primary user really likes it. She also really likes the ability to have full cache pages on board - which the 60Cx does not (I use an iPhone for that either from airsharing or direct from the net), the Oregon is WAY faster that both of these.

I'm not sure there's any value at all in having a "real" compass - and to be honest, I have to challenge the accuracy & function of the units that do actually have one. We're certainly not talking about flux gate technology here. For what I'm guessing most cachers do most of the time the calculated compass onboard which requires you to be moving should be just fine. Moving in a straight line above 2mph on ground should give you a decent heading (on water though, all bets are off).

If a compass is really that valuable, go buy one. In our experience though, we're 6 months into this & there's been only one time that ive actually wanted a static compass bearing - and i'm slightly spoiled in having a Tissot T-Touch watch which gives me that. Ironically, the one time i needed a reasonable bearing, it got lost in converting compass to magnetic to true & my trying to figure out what the CO actually meant in the cache page since the bearing which very accurately stated in degrees wasnt specified.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

I was told that the newer 60's have different chips than they did orignally because of licensing issues. These may not be as good as the older models. Does anybody have any info about this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I was told that the newer 60's have different chips than they did orignally because of licensing issues. These may not be as good as the older models. Does anybody have any info about this?

I guess that would be me:

forums.groundspeak.com...Tek+MT3329

forums.groundspeak.com...pic=228100
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

Thanks geodug, I only was asking for the shopper so they are fully aware.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
Thanks geodug, I only was asking for the shopper so they are fully aware.

The new chipset sounds OK but you never know until you do an actual side-by-side comparison with the same model (GPSMAP60c(s)x) under heavy tree cover.

I am surprised nobody has actually done that yet. If my GPS finally dies, I may do the test using a Mediatek and a good friend that has the Sirf Star.
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

Mr. Huggy uses a 60CSx and Mrs. Huggy uses an Oregon 200. Mr. Huggy is usually closer to GZ - Unfortunately she still finds the caches more quickly as I cannot find my socks even if they are on my feet.

So I agree with boomerangpapa that the Oregon is not as accurate. I too have difficulty reading the screen at times. Turning the brightness up to full kills the battery pretty quick.

PH.
heepthing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

i'll check into the costco rebate.i think im going to stay with the oregon product and maybe return the 200 to costco and get the 300 from the gpscity place in calgary.paperless caching with the oregon is nice but it really only works if your a premium member which now im going to have to be.so the paperless really insent paperless untill you are a member.exspecially hints im guessing.

the other issue is right now i have a 2 month free trial with the blackberry gps which seems to work just as good.going out a couple days ago found myself using both.
jangor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

HuggyFamily wrote:
Mr. Huggy uses a 60CSx and Mrs. Huggy uses an Oregon 200. Mr. Huggy is usually closer to GZ - Unfortunately she still finds the caches more quickly as I cannot find my socks even if they are on my feet.

So I agree with boomerangpapa that the Oregon is not as accurate. I too have difficulty reading the screen at times. Turning the brightness up to full kills the battery pretty quick.

PH.

Mr Jangor uses an Oregon 200 and Mrs Jangor stayed with the Map76Cx. While I agree that the Mrs half usually finds the cache first, we find that the accuracy of each unit is about the same. The last caching trip in Langley, the Oregon was getting to GZ much faster than the Map76 but on other days it can be a different story. The accuracy of the Oregon was greatly improved when the firmware was updated to v3.10 plus it adds a lot of features.

Mrs J kept the Map 76 because she doesn't like change. Mr J loves new toys whether he needs them or not. Rolling Eyes
heepthing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: info on gps garmin oregon 200 Reply with quote

that sounds like a guy thing,we need the newest toys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1