CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» EGM
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Spotted Lake
Spotted Lake:  [?] . Rapid evaporation of Spotted Lake during the summer months results in crystallized rings surrounding multicoloured pools. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» News Article Discussions —» EGM
toplefttopfilltopright
EGM
Topics will be autocreated here when someone clicks on the "start the discussion" links in news items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
couloir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: EGM Reply with quote

This story has been removed.

Last edited by couloir on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
SOLONM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

I'd like to know exactly what the the goals of geocaching in B.C. are.
Will you be posting these G&As for everyone to read?
911turbos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Quote::
At the AGM, the first order of business will be a motion for a bylaw amendment to allow electronic voting. The second order of business will be to give a report on the Election process, field questions, and ask for approval on the described process. The rest of the AGM will be the usual business of reports, discussion, and motions from the Directors or from the membership.

Will the new board also be elected at the AGM?

Also, what is the process for making other recommendations for bylaw changes?
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
I'd like to know exactly what the the goals of geocaching in B.C. are.

To Quote Groundspeak:

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

or from BCGA Constitution

1. The name of the society is British Columbia Geocaching Association

2. The purpose(s) of the society is (are):

(a) To provide a portal to geocaching in and around BC.
(b) To promote geocaching in BC
(c) To provide the resources that will allow geocachers, the general public, and other related interest groups, to learn about geocaching, communicate with other geocachers, and to explore all geocaching has to offer.
(d) To provide similar and related services as determined by the membership.

I don't know what "G&A's" means.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Dear BCGA executive. Though I fully support any effort to have a more inclusive election methodology such as the electronic election and I would vote for that change, but it can only be used for the 2010 election, not for this year. I believe at an AGM , by definition you have to have the regular election the 'old fashioned way'. Voting for electronic election does not negate the need for the election to take place at this AGM. So when are the Proxies being mailed/emailed?

Is there going to be a forum where Candidates can declare their intention, post a bio, bring forward ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

According to the association by-laws:

(1) The directors must retire from office at each annual general meeting when their successors are elected.

Given the meeting's proposed venue, I think that it's important to issue proxy forms ASAP.

PH.
couloir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: EGM Reply with quote

this entry has been removed

Last edited by couloir on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

In simple terms, members will be able to vote through our website, with controls put in place to ensure only members can vote, that no method of “ballot stuffing” can occur and that an independent third party oversees the election process.

I was present at the Skype meeting that this topic was discussed, I took minutes for my own use. My minutes do not reflect any discussion about an independent third party being involved in the BCGA's voting process. Therefore I have been unable to answer the questions that have been asked of me on this topic.

Could you please explain to those that asked me, where this third party will come from, the cost of this third party and the why the exec felt it needs a third party to oversee the election?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

While I agree with the electronic voting system I can't really see how this works for this year.

The Societies Act says:

"Change in bylaws

23 (1) A society may change its bylaws by special resolution and the resolution is effective on the later of

(a) the date on which it is filed with the registrar, and

(b) the date specified in the resolution.

(2) After a special resolution is filed with the registrar under subsection (1), the registrar must retain one copy of it and return the other copy to the society, certified as having been accepted by the registrar."

How do you pass the Special Resolution and get it filed prior to the AGM held later in the same day and on a weekend??

Seems that a change in voting procedure for 2011 will work, but the time frame won't allow the change for 2010.

Maybe I am reading the Act incorrectly so if anyone is sure of the procedure a clarification would be appreciated.
couloir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: EGM Reply with quote

this entry has been removed

Last edited by couloir on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
HuggyFamily

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

couloir wrote:
We wanted to avoid two meetings since we live all over the province...

But there still has to be an AGM, correct? I don't see how scheduling an EGM would mean that there is only one meeting required, regardless of whether or not electronic voting passes.....or am I missing something?

PH.
jangor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinaryl General Meeting Reply with quote

What if the Electronic Voting Resolution is put on the agenda for the AGM in which case the membership can vote on it at that time and if it is passed, which I assume it would be as it seems a good idea, the new exec has a whole year to get all the ducks in a row and be set up for next year.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinaryl General Meeting Reply with quote

I agree with Jangor, vote on any and all bylaw changes, for implementation over the coming year. Hold AGM as it always has been done, proxies and votes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinaryl General Meeting Reply with quote

Seconded.
geodug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:

Is there going to be a forum where Candidates can declare their intention, post a bio, bring forward ideas?

This has been used in past years to introduce candidates to the members and worked pretty good. Time is short and there isn't much time left to get this going so we know who the choices are.

Or is there another plan to transition smoothly from one year to the next?
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Annual General Meeting Reply with quote

Actually there is still over a month until the Nov 14th meeting. But if we go ahead with the meeting as an EGM and then have our AGM on a later date we have that much more time for people to present themselves as candidates!

I'm sure with all the talk of the upcoming meeting and everyone knowing that it's that time of the year, those people that are thinking of running are ready to post their positions and experience for everyone to see.

We are just in the process of setting that up and it should be online shortly.

Stay tuned and ready to throw your hat in the ring!
msthebrain and pinky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinaryl General Meeting Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
I agree with Jangor, vote on any and all bylaw changes, for implementation over the coming year. Hold AGM as it always has been done, proxies and votes.

I agree with proxies and votes for this year and next year put in the electronic voting, IF the people are interested.

Pinky
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinaryl General Meeting Reply with quote

jangor wrote:
What if the Electronic Voting Resolution is put on the agenda for the AGM in which case the membership can vote on it at that time and if it is passed, which I assume it would be as it seems a good idea, the new exec has a whole year to get all the ducks in a row and be set up for next year.
_canadianbacon_ wrote: I agree with Jangor, vote on any and all bylaw changes, for implementation over the coming year. Hold AGM as it always has been done, proxies and votes.

Adding my agreement with Jangor's and CB's statement. Electronic Voting is a good idea but should be implemented in the proper manner after consultive discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinary General Meeting Reply with quote

Speaking of elections and directors I see that going deep into the layers that Shannon and Albert are crossed out?!? Did I miss something, like an announcement we've lost a couple more directors? If I missed it, oops, but a search finds me no info.
When and why did we lose two more directors?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinary General Meeting Reply with quote

MsChief-Gps_y wrote:
Speaking of elections and directors I see that going deep into the layers that Shannon and Albert are crossed out?!? Did I miss something, like an announcement we've lost a couple more directors? If I missed it, oops, but a search finds me no info.
When and why did we lose two more directors?
Alberts resignation was noted. The article is not active any more. It said:

The BCGA Directors regret to announce that Albert Abrahamson (Mach2003) has resigned from the board. Through his dedication and hard work, Albert has made a significant contribution to the BCGA over the past months and he will be missed. Outside of the BCGA, he will continue to contribute to geocaching in BC, and in particular in the Kelowna region. We wish him all the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice of Extraordinary General Meeting Reply with quote

Thanks CB. I ran a search and nothing came up.
So what about Shannon? When did she leave? Shouldn't the membership be kept current about such things?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: EGM Reply with quote

Sorry we haven't posted Shannon's resignation yet as we have been caught up finishing off the BlueSky project, organizing the AGM and sorting through Shannon's work so we can see where we are with things.

Shannon resigned September 24th. With her jobs and schooling she found it hard to be able to give the BCGA position the focus that it needed at this time.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: EGM Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
And Many Thanks to Shannon for serving BCGA and it's membership. For the time and energy she gave. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: EGM Reply with quote

I am wondering why the EGM story has been removed from the Home page. I noticed couloir has removed his story that started this thread as well. Is the board changing direction, does anyone know whats going on?
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: EGM Reply with quote

What?!? Story edited and changed without explanation or comment? It got dark kinda sudden. Anybody there to turn on the lights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» News Article Discussions
Page 1 of 1