CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» New to Geocaching
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Mountain Goat
Mountain Goat:  [?] . The mountain goat lives in rocky mountainous areas above the timberline throughout parts of North America. British Columbia's population is by far the largest at approximately 100,000. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» New to Geocaching
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
New to Geocaching
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say I'm new to Geocaching. But after closing in on 40 geocaches now, I think I am reinvigorated by the hobby. Here are some questions I wanted to ask you veterans.

1) How many geocaches should I find before considering hiding one? (So I can get a good experience of what is out there and not hide a lame LPC).

2) What is in your geocaching workshop? Stacks of LockNLocks? Camo tape? Ammo cans? (What do I need to purchase to build a hide?)

3) I'm using a Garmin Geko 201 to geocache right now. Receiver sensitivity is not too good in the foresty areas so I'm thinking of upgrading in the future. Looking at some Etrex models (Legend HCx) and Oregons. It seems Oregon and Colorado can do Wherigo thingies. Will I be missing out if I don't get an Oregon and Colorado?

Thanks for your future responses. Beanie
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

The major thing that you'll miss out on if you don't get an Oregon or a Colorado is paperless geocaching, where-by you don't need to print pages for all of the caches that you want to find.... all the cache information is stored right on the GPSr. For some, this is huge.... for others, it's not a big deal. It will come down to your personal preference.
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

But what about puzzle caches? Do a majority of geocachers print them out?

Lets say per chance that I want to buy a bad-screen Oregon versus Colorado, would the Oregon 200 be a good choice?

I've read that most people turn off their electronic compass anyways and I don't see people using altimeter a lot...so why buy any version higher? Unless the subsequent Oregons have fixed the touch screen brightness issue.
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

I personally solve puzzle caches before I hit the road and I have all my solved puzzles stored in a GSAK database, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.

Personally, I wouldn't go with less than an Oregon 300. It has 850MB of internal memory (the 200 only has 24MB) and it has unit-to-unit transfer capabilities (the 200 does not). Aside from that, I checked GPSCity.ca and the 300 is $24 cheaper than the 200 ($399.95 vs. $375.95). Go figure! You could also go for the 400t Canada, which comes with the Topo Canada maps included or even the 550, which has a built-in camera and a 3-axis compass.

As for the screen, I personally don't have any issues with it. Opinions seem to vary from person to person, but make sure you visit the Garmin Oregon wikispaces page as it is chock full of good info.

garminoregon.wikispaces.com/
Tugman_and_Wifey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

I just got an Oregon 300. There are no issues with the screen. Cached this past weekend in bright sunshine and had no problems. The Palm is harder to see than the gps.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

Oliverthenakedbear wrote:
1) How many geocaches should I find before considering hiding one? (So I can get a good experience of what is out there and not hide a lame LPC).
I'd say 50+, so you are close. Do something simple, find a nice spot that will capture peoples attention, double check the coords when you create the page. Make sure the check box on the cache edit page is NOT letting the approver see it till you are ready. View the cache page (as owner you can do this) before you publish it, and make sure the location on the map is where it should be.

Quote::

2) What is in your geocaching workshop? Stacks of LockNLocks? Camo tape? Ammo cans? (What do I need to purchase to build a hide?)
I'd dedicate 50sqft to lock and locks, swag , paint, flash-lights etc. ... Just kidding. I have 1 shelf with 1/2 dozen Krylon Paints on it, 5 L&L's and a box of geo-nick-nacks. You made need some steel wool to scratch up the containers before you paint, it sticks better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys.

Next mission: Get to 50 geocaches and look for a new GPS.

Just one final question. Anybody got a Dakota 20? How does it compare with the Oregon?
jangor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

Just a quick FYI.

Oregon 200 at Costco is $349 with a $50 rebate from Garmin. It includes Topo Canada maps ($119 value) so this is a pretty good deal

We are using the 200 with no issues that bother us except that the unit doesn't beep when doing on road navigation with City Navigator.

Internal memory is a bit of a red herring. This is used to store cache info and can be used to store maps. 500 caches in the Oregon uses less than 5 mb so that is not an issue. If you want to use the Topo Maps, 850 mb doesn't do you any good anyway. BC and Alta together are well over
2 gb. The solution is to buy a 4 gb microSD card ($19) and all your problems are solved. You will probably need the SD card in either unit if you install maps.

Hope that helps a bit.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

So between the 200 & 300 other than Memory, is really the only missing function the Wireless Transfer, which in reality, is pretty useless unless your buddy forgot to load ALL his caches. How hard could it be to enter 1 cache by hand?!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

That is about it, except the electronic compass and barometer, both of which are battery suckers so it seems most people turn them off.

Don't forget to update the firmware. that adds a lot of features, increases accuracy and best of all it is free and easy.
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

I agree with the others, but don't forget there are other GPS's out there - such as Magellen. Buy yourself 8 regcharagable batteries so you always have spares, along with a good charger & inverter to run in the vehicle for on the go weekends (be kind to the environment please - recharge!)

As for caching space - that depends on how much of an Ammo Can addict you are - I think the 10 * 10 * 10 Shed should do it for us.. lol
Oliverthenakedbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

I've finally got my 50+ cache!
Going to be ordering a Oregon 300 this week from GPScity.ca unless circumstances change (Like...if I hold off for a few more weeks, Garmin is going to be discounting all their GPS devices. Jester )

Now to work on for 100 caches...and my first hide.

Umm...any tips for geocaching in the winter? Do you guys just stick to urban caches because of the snow issue?
CAMOKELLY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Geocaching Reply with quote

In regards to your first hide:

A few tips to remember is that an area in winter can look completely different in the spring. Will there be plants all over the area in the spring? Or worse will there be thorns and brambles everywhere? I have seen far to many caches placed that were completely accessible in the winter only to become completely unaccessible in the spring due to such things as thorns, brambles, weeds, or stinging nettles. Another consideration what if someone tries to find this cache with snow on the ground or what if there has just been a heavy rainfall the day before? Will the trek up the hillside just off the path cause them to fall or completely muck up the area? Another consideration will there be young kids or teen's playing/hanging out in the area? If so will this raise the likelihood of the cache being found and or muggled? Still another common issue that seems to pop up is sight lines. If you place a cache in a tree directly across from a house are the neighbors going to constantly get suspicious of people lurking around that tree behind or across from their home? You want your cache to last for years so these are the kind of questions you should be asking yourself before placing the cache.

Hope that helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1