CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» geocaching and the inner child in all of us
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Racoon
Racoon:  [?] . Curiosity and ingenuity have earned the racoon's reputation as a geocache's primary non-human muggle. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» geocaching and the inner child in all of us
toplefttopfilltopright
geocaching and the inner child in all of us
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOLONM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: geocaching and the inner child in all of us Reply with quote

I think geocaching appeals to the inner child in all of us. We may all talk about the more altruistic aspects of how it leads us to somewhere we had not been to before..Perhaps how it thrills us to get a FTF. Maybe how finding a nano in some awkward location makes us feel powerful in some way. I think this is all true because this silly thing of hiding and seeking is something we all liked to do as children.
When I read the logs posted by geochildren in the BCGA 'news" I wonder about how any cacher could say SWAG is unimportant......I also question why any cacher would take old used stuff and a toss it into a cache. I also wonder why any cache owner would place a cache and then not take care of it.
For certain geocaching allows my inner child to come out & play but there are rules in kindergarten...you don't make a mess you clean up after and you take responsibility for what you have done.
this is a new thought & I'd like to see responses.
cheers and happy responsible caching
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: geocaching and the inner child in all of us Reply with quote

We've travelled the whole caching feeling of emotions of why we cache over the past 2 years. But in the end it is all about the adventure with the ability to mark "we were here" in a log book where few others have been.

It comes down to where it takes us and how much we can do in a weekend - when we can go from being at the bottom of Botany lookout (near Lytton) Road on Friday night in a tent - listening to the thunder storm and watching the lightening in the distance and waking up to boisenberries in the morning. Then passing by an amazing artists rendention of capturing time as we head up to the Lion's Park built for the community, then travelling up to Lillooet and seeing the Helicopters putting out fires, and heading up the Bridge River to a horseshoe canyon with sheer drop offs and having your heart beat in your throat overlooking it.

Then continuing to to the Shulaps and overlooking the 360 degree view that has sat there for a year with no one seeing it - even though it was a cake walk to drive to and sitting there and taking in the whole beauty - then leaving and driving to kamloops watching the lightening storms light up the sky and skirting past the mud slides as they come down as we near kamloops and then heading up to Brookemere and heading up to the Thynne Mountain Lookout for another 360 degree view in the rain, and almost snow and getting there at midnight in the pitch black and scared to walk the few hundred meters to the cache as you never know what might be there to greet you in the trees that you can't see then but having your heart racing as you go for it!

Then getting to a warm bed and crashing for a good sleep - and knowing that was one of the best 18 hours of your life! Covering from Lytton to Lillooet to half way to Seton Portage to Kamloops to brookemere to Thynne Mountain to Tulameen. Along with a false 911 call to report a forest fire.. lol (I did cancel it, but then the Thynne Mountain fire was discovered a few days later so still wondering if we saw the real one)

It's the people we've met, the incredible places they take us on to see new places and spend the time building memories instead of watching paint dry on the ceiling.
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: geocaching and the inner child in all of us Reply with quote

SOLONM wrote:
I wonder about how any cacher could say SWAG is unimportant......I also question why any cacher would take old used stuff and a toss it into a cache.

Careful - for many, swag is simply not a factor - the hunt is. When you find hundred of sweaty containers with McJunk in them, swag can lose it's appeal pretty quick.

And "old used stuff" is a very ambiguous term. One of the good caches around here is "Spring Cleaning", in which the hider put all the stuff she cleaned out of a dresser drawer, including almost 10 bucks in CT money!
Old used dice and golfballs are one thing, but old used Expo 86 pins, pens and compasses are quite another!
SOLONM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: geocaching and the inner child in all of us Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back Turtles & doingitoldschool!! I'm always thrilled when I get to log a cache that hasn't been found for a year!! It is even sweeter to post a log saying the cache is in great shape and thanks for bringing me here!!
As far as swag goes there are places where trading swag is a HUGE part of the game. I cached in the Kootenays, Oregon, Idaho & Montana this summer and those folk seem to take trading swag very seriously indeed. They log it all...I had to keep careful notes!!!
Kids especially are engaged by this aspect. Once in a while I take my grand-daughter caching & there is nothing more dismaying to her than to find a skanky box filled with moldy stuff.
I ask her to choose things of her OWN that she might want to trade and she always brings along nice things..things she VALUES. Most of the time she ends up taking her own stuff home (her choice).......she is 5 years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1