CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
A Happy Sea Lion
A Happy Sea Lion:  [?] . Seen on shorelines all over BC, and under the waves too. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute
toplefttopfilltopright
Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildbeanz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Have been out maintaining caches and have noticed a few things I think need to be noted as there are a lot of new people out caching these days.

This might also be a good place for people to send tips for placing GOOD caches and other general Geocaching 101 notes.
It is not to be a critical forum but a place that maybe new and old cachers can upgrade and improve some geocaching habits.

My notes:

When you find a cache, before you grab it, take a look where and how it was hidden so you can replace it the same way.

If a cache you find is full of moldy or inappropriate stuff (food for instance) remove it and get rid of it !

FOOD of any sort is NOT a trade item - not gum, candy, granola bars, juice boxes ....

Lock n locks are great and leak proof but not when filled too full. If a cache is bulging with stuff, take out some of the big swag so the container closes properly. Make sure all bags and swag are not caught in the edges.

Geocaching for a great many people is still a family sport. Very well placed or camoflaged nanos and micros can be challenging and interesting but its much more fun for kids, big and small, to find a big cache !
Try and put the biggest cache in the area you can.

If you can replace a baggy, add a pencil, clean out yuck- please do as it saves the cache owner a trip to the cache. Carry a few extra things in your caching bag for cache maintenance especially for the long hike caches.

Okay that's all I can think of for now !
hawk-dive

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Some very good points wildbeans. I just love finding a nice clean cache with lots of swag to look at. When I place my first cache I want no DNF,s and I will take pride in seeing it last for many years.
landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Great points Beanz... I'd like to echo one point about placing the biggest cache you can in an area. There is a time and a place to put a micro... it is usually NOT in the woods. Finding a micro in the woods is definitely less fun than finding a well hidden big cache. Micros in the woods also often encourage people to do more damage to the surrounding area as they search for something tiny.

I'd like to add also that people caching in parks should be aware that many park authorities now have policies about caching. Parks Canada, BC Parks and Surrey parks are three that come immediately to mind. Please check out their policies and be familiar with them before you place a cache in these areas.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Glad you got this started. With caching becoming so mainstream and folk leaping into the game there are etiquettes etc they are unaware of. It's not as simple as the 'find cache, sign log, go log it online' that is usually the sole advice given.
I'd like to expand on your: 'When you find a cache, before you grab it, take a look where and how it was hidden so you can replace it the same way."
And add: Or better...lol. A well hid cache is subtle and invisible to muggles. It is never buried but well covered with a couple of bits showing for a cacher looking close. If you spot it from several feet away then it is not hid. Lately I'm finding people 'adjusting', ahem, hides by making arrows out of sticks or rocks pointing to the cache hide. yikes. That is interfering with someone's hide.
Obvious unnatural aligned sticks alert muggles as well as cachers. Geo-sticks can be used with more subtlety. Take a moment not only to notice 'where' you removed the cache from but how it looks now that you've replaced it.
--Folk who cache regardless of muggles present. The integrity of the hide should be preserved. It's not just about the smiley. Someone was nice enough to find a spot, take the time to ensure good co-ords (fingers crossed), spend money and time and maintain it, the least folk could do is keep it safe. Sometimes you have to let a cache go till you can look and retrieve it discretely.
If it's raining please don't open the cache and put the inside of the lid face up on the ground so it also is gathering rain. Either hover over it or place lid loose over top to keep it dry inside.
-- Swag. it really is part of the game to state what you Take and Leave. If you are trading fairly, evenly or up it shouldn't be a problem to note that. I just found a cache someone had put a loose fishing lure with the hook (!). Someone reaching into the tall container could have been stabbed. Clean, undamaged items are nice! Leaving a quarter for dollar store items isn't fair trading. Sheesh, even leaving a dollar doesn't count the taxes, lol.
If a cache has been found why damage/trample any plants that are fine when you arrive? Caching is about respecting nature and one of the basic tenets is: Lift, look, REplace. Leave a site as pristine as you found it. Why shouldn't the next cacher have a nice spot to arrive at?

Hiding: Check what your satellite accuracy is at that moment. After taking co-ords, walk away a distance, come back and see if you zero out at the hide. Refine the co-ords. Verify them out another day.
Read Groundspeaks Guidelines for hiding. It is not allowed to use a pointy tool to hide, bury a cache and back fill. Natural depressions, hollows, sure, but tampering with nature or man-made objects is not allowed and could reflect badly on our beloved activity. It isn't allowed to use nails, hooks etc in trees.
If there is a problem, contact the c/o privately to alert or educate them. Treat folk how you would like to be treated. Do not interfere with a cache unless as Nina said it's replacing a baggie etc. Let the owner deal with any issues unless they are long gone from the activity. If an ongoing problem is not fixed and owner is ignoring it, then it's time to contact Mtn-man, our approver. Caching is under scrutiny and we need to be a community that helps each other keep it respected.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Another thing for cache owners is to move there cache before a geotrail forms, or better then that, make your cache off the side of an animal trail. Step carefully and not on the plants. Leave the site as beautiful as it was when you arrived.
Urban caches that require stealth, really require stealth. Don't go to site with people walking around you. They may get suspicious of illicit activities, or may find the cache. Instead, why not wait until another time. Patience is Key! Turtle . Use common sense

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

I Agree With everything posted here, but I'd like to add one thing, from personal experience. I ask that Cachers DO NOT "adjust" the location of a cache especially when it removes the container from the location indicated by the clue. I was caching with my Dad, and I knew where the container should be from finiding it previous to him, but it seems that a previous cacher took it upon themselves to throw the cache under the gazebo which made retreaving it very difficult for me, let alone and older man. This particular cache was supposed to be an easy walk up and grab, not slide on your belly under a gazebo to retreave kind of cache. That kind of thing I think it just pure lazyness. It would appear that instead of rehiding where the clue stated, they just stood back and chucked it under the gazebo! I do not see the sense in possibly causing a DNF for the next cacher. That kind of thing puts a real damper on your spirits! Please Be considerate of those who will follow after you!
doingitoldschool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Attitude is everything in geocaching. If you think you are owed the find, you will not enjoy the hunt. You may or may not find the cache, but either way you miss the main point - the hunt is the game. From the moment you open up the website, you are a geocacher, not a geofinder. Do your homework, pack your gear, and enjoy the journey - the find is the peak of the experience, but even without it, you can enjoy the game.

Some one liners:

1. Post your DNF's. All of them. (now I have to go and log one that I forgot!)

2. Waypoint the car. Now, I almost never do this, but I really should. I do know how to use the backtrack feature, so if you know you will forget to waypoint the car, then learn how to do this!

3. Dirt and blood can both leave a signature in a log, and some of the caches you will look for will supply plenty of both!

Last edited by doingitoldschool on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocaching 101 - cachers new and old, read & contribute Reply with quote

Quote::
"1. Post your DNF's. All of them. (now I have to go and log one that I forgot")

I happen to know the neighboor of one of my caches, she told me she saw many, many people looking for the cache without finding it. Expecting some logs that night, there was nothing in my email. Posting DNF's helps the cache owner know if their cache is missing, or if to hard(if they want a lot of people to find it.) It is more of a common courtesy than anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1