CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» PQ's, how do they work?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Herons
Herons:  [?] . Herons are a common sight along British Columbia's waterways. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» PQ's, how do they work?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
PQ's, how do they work?
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

I am a reecently new (sort of) premium member, and have been confused about PQ's. Could someone tell me how they work and how they could help me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

In a nutshell, each pocket query will let you download up to 500 geocaches in one fell swoop, which you can then drop directly on to your GPSr (depending on which one you have) or keep it in a GSAK database. This saves quite a bit more time when compared to clicking the "Send to GPS" button 500 times on 500 different caches.

When I first started geocaching, I found a pocket query guide that was written by a cacher named Markwell. It is what educated me on how to properly utilize pocket queries and still to this day, I see people refer to it. I highly recommend it for you to read as well.

www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Give it a read and then if you have any questions, feel free to post them and we'll do our best to help you out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

I have the PQ sent to me now. Do I need GSAK or Watcher o unzip the files and transfer to my garmin etrex. Did I get the order right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

Windows will generally open any zip files for you. In the zip file, you'll find a file called "xxxxxxx.gpx", where the x's are numbers. Load the GPX file into MapSource and then transfer the waypoints to your eTrex. Voila! This way, you don't need to download other software like GSAK.

You may also find another file called "xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx", which contains any extra waypoints that are associated with the caches (such as trailheads, parking areas, etc). You don't need to load this file if you don't want to, but it may help you to find some caches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. To bad I accidentaly deleted the email Smack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

I got the email, downloaded the file, unzipped it. Now I can't figure out how to ransfer it to mapsource. How is that done?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

In MapSource, go to the "File" Menu and select "Open". Choose "GPS eXchange Format (*.gpx)" from the "Files of type:" pull down menu in the Open dialog box and then browse to the location where you unzipped the file. Select the file and click "Open".

You'll then see all of the caches listed under the "Waypoints" tab. Make sure that you GPSr is plugged in, go to the "Transfer" menu and click "Send to device". After a few seconds, your GPSr should show up under the "Find Device" button. Make sure that only "Waypoints" is checked and click the "Send" button.

All done!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

Wow! It works great!
Thank you so much for all the help.
Very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

No problem Mr. Green
grafinator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

Only nerds can understand what you are talking about Ted Razz
I wish I was a nerd(ier).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PQ's, how do they work? Reply with quote

LOL welcome back Jason! Nut
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1