CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Is there a way to sort caches by activation date?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» How To? —» Is there a way to sort caches by activation date?
toplefttopfilltopright
Is there a way to sort caches by activation date?
Have question about how to use your GPS, hide a cache or solve a problem, let the local experts try to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamooks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

I have just come back from a trip to Vancouver, where i found BC's first geocache that is still active (Treehugger). It got me to wondering what the oldest active cache site is in my city (Nanaimo) and that it might be interesting to other cachers for historical reasons to discover the oldest caches in their hometowns as well. I know that there is a bookmark for the oldest caches in each province, but does anyone know a way to list caches by activation date in a given geographical area? Thanks for any help/advice!
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

The closest you will get is to load your cache .gpx file into GSAK (Or simular) and sort by date placed. If you can write simple macro's, you also probably could sort by the first log date, or maybe the 'published' log entry though some older caches do not have that log entry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

We believe the oldest cache in Nanaimo is GC30FF SamHil Near Nanaimo.
savant9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

You could also do it with a pocket query. You dont even need to "officially" run it.
Set one up without picking a day to run, center your co-ordinates in town or w/e. Pick a radius that is appropriate for your region, and set the placed date from Jan 1999-Jan 2002, then preview the results, if there are no matches, expand your date somewhat and preview again, eventually if you can get around 5-10 hits, it should be fairly easy to see which is the oldest of the lot.

Edit, I ran one for you, see if you can open my search results

www.geocaching.com/see...6953aaa718

And it would seem that tugman and wifey are correct with GC30FF
dloubert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

If you go a little further up to Parksville this one is the oldest in the region..
GC2291 Little Mountain Cache Placed on October 14th 2001

Cheers!
Kamooks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - i think that the pocket queries will do the trick. And i have put SamHil and Little Mountain on my list of must do caches!
Cheers
bcrockcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

Waterfalls of Rain is the oldest still active cache on Vancouver Island. It is possibly the first. On the cache page you will find a bookmark list of the 25 oldest caches (still active) on Vancouver Island

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to sort caches by activation date? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the bookmark bcrockcrawler - much appreciated! I was just at cowichan lake, and so will have to check out waterfalls of rain next time we are down that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» How To?
Page 1 of 1