CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» SWAG —» Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary!
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Ghost Towns
Ghost Towns:  [?] . Hedely [M | C]  Anyox [M | C]  Bradian [M | C]  Butedale [M | C]  Sandon [M | C]  Cody [M | C]  Kitsault [M | C]  Moyie [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» SWAG —» Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary!
toplefttopfilltopright
Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary!
Here you can talk about all the fun items associated with geocaching. Buy/Sell/Barter/Trade here.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary! Reply with quote

Landsharkz.ca will be launching a new website, hopefully before the end of the summer!

Because we make products that are in the public eye (interpretive signs, map signs, websites, presentations, coins, etc) it's really important that we have no typos on our site because its a direct reflection of the quality of finished product that we produce. A few big name coin companies have produced coins with spelling errors, but when you read their websites you can see how this could come about Shocked ! I don't know about you, but I'm a compulsive proof-reader - I proof everything I read, whether I want to or not!

We have a few friends that help proof our site for us when we do updates, but if anyone else would like to take up semi-pro proofreading, we will be giving away a free LE BC coin for each new typo that you advise us of. In other words, if you find a spelling misteak first, you get the coin. If you find it second, you only get a hearty thank you!

We'll let you know here when we go live Very Happy .
savant9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
..... if you find a spelling misteak first, you get the coin. ......

Do I get one for that? Kiss
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

savant9 wrote:
Mrs_Landsharkz wrote:
..... if you find a spelling misteak first, you get the coin. ......

Do I get one for that? Kiss

No, that was the 'semi-pro' pre-test Kiss Jester .
anakerose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

LOL I saw that one too, you just beat me to it Smile
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary! Reply with quote

Heck, I found mistakes on your Current Site just on the main page..

Candian Forces
ParkFriendly (maybe Park Friendly?)
Preorders
TAG's (just tags)
accomodate
camoflagued
ensueing
online (s/b on-line)
specialsts

So if you are 'migrating' some content you better check that that first.
There are several online tools that can check your site, though the Canadian / US spellings may not be picked up, but that's not too many words.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

CB - Thank you!!!

TAG's is the acronym for Trackable Adventure Guide and ParkFriendly is actually referring to www.ParkFriendly.net but that's not clear so I'll edit it.

I think online is the way you have spelled it in your post though, so we're both either right or wrong there.

I'll fix the rest of those up right away Very Happy
olipe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Wait

Did he say "check that that first" ???? I found one.

And she finished "those up right away" without a period at the end!!!!

OMG, you have so opened up a pandora's box on this one.

(ok, it took me 5 minutes to submit this one cause I kept rereading it for misteaks...err mistakes and had to edit it twice).

LoL, too much fun;

Olipe
grafinator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun way to spend some spare time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

I'm in. Where do I sign up?

Mr. Huggy.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Mr. Huggy, grafinator, enjoy your summer! We have to enter all the content first and then we'll let you have at it!

English is a second language for the company creating the new site for us so we have our work cut out for us checking the text in the template that they're creating.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Our new site has been up and running for a week now - we launched it last week on Friday the 13th Shocked Laughing . Now that we have most of the bugs out of it, we figured we can invite y'all to have a look if you want. The prize for finding typos is a Gold 2007 or 2008 British Columbia Geocoin. Your choice! This finish was never sold so it's pretty rare to see these ones.

New and exciting (for us at least!):

1. We take credit cards online now and not just over the phone or in person.

2. You can place an order online, pre-pay or pay when you pick up, and choose 'local pick up' as your shipping method and of course it will charge you zero shipping.

3. We have some new stuff: cache containers (micros by jrav's standards), coins, coin stands, 2 new LED flashlights and other bits and pieces.

4. You can write product reviews and reply to blogs, right now only Chris is blogging.

5. Amandazon was kind enough to model for us for the cache container page! Watch for other cachers gracing our banners over the next little while - I'm getting antsy seeing my face on them - yet another 'oh no Chris, not that photo?!'

Last but certainly not least... we have a SALE on right now!

Our next Promo coming up after the current sale will be a full size Rite in the Rain Logbook Gift With Purchase!
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary! Reply with quote

I just emailed one to you, Helen.

EDIT: Make that 4 of them Mr. Green
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Thanks Ted! We have also been told a few times that 'Colop' is spelled incorrectly, but actually it's just fine. How do companies come up with product names like that?!
Mr. Wilson and a Mt. Goat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Is Logo'd really a word, not in the dictionary. (then again, how do you spell it?)
Forgot a link to RITR on the DOWNLOADS page-log-sheets
That's all I have for now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Ok last night after a hard day of caching I grabbed the laptop and headed to bed thinking this should be easy. OMG!! You have a lot of pages on your website! About 2 hours later the laptop went into auto shut down mode as the battery was critical low and a good thing as my eyes were like Shocked

The migraine this morning was Yuck but it was interesting reading and I feel like I could now be a Customer Service Rep at the Landsharkz Corporate office! Laughing

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Gecko Cacher wrote:
Ok last night after a hard day of caching I grabbed the laptop and headed to bed thinking this should be easy. OMG!! You have a lot of pages on your website! About 2 hours later the laptop went into auto shut down mode as the battery was critical low and a good thing as my eyes were like Shocked

The migraine this morning was Yuck but it was interesting reading and I feel like I could now be a Customer Service Rep at the Landsharkz Corporate office! Laughing

Gecko, I think I know the problem... when you go to bed instead of grabbing the laptop you should be grabbing RVTraveller Jester .

Thanks for looking and getting up to speed - so far we've fixed one mistake that was repetitive and a few random ones. I loved the apostrophe education I got today too! Thanks JB!
Gecko Cacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

RVTraveller was down for the count after a little stair boo boo in Dean Park yesterday Jester

geocachinggecko.blogspot.com/
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Dont know how to email you directly Mrs Landsharkz. Sent you a note through your site.

Looked at your home page & noticed the spelling of your first feature item... I think the 2010 logo sucks too, but i'd still spell it "inukshuk" - calling it an "Inuksuk" IS pretty funny though! Smile

Cheers!

Chewy_06
Teddy2k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary! Reply with quote

Chewy, I was going to point out that mistake as well, only I found out that it's actually not a mistake! "Inuksuk" is the proper Inuit way to spell it, where-as "Inukshuk" is the English way to spell it. I certainly learned something new that day! Mr. Green
Chewy_06

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

Indeed, Mrs Landsharkz pointed that out already. My only defence is that their site is in English, not inukitut. For more fun, we could call it ?????

Anyway, I thought that was just too obvious, but thought it was worthwhile pointing out - kind of like the occasional cache hiding in plain sight... Razz

I still think it's really funny to call it an inksuk in English - especially when it's a smiling one... hope i dont get arrested for saying that, you never know where the VANOC police are hiding!
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Website Proofreading 'contest' - no experience necessary Reply with quote

We like to respect a culture and use their spelling and definitions when we can and it won't lose meaning. It's the same when Tom creates First Nation art for the BC coins. We often ask him to retell us a story or legend to go with his art.

We are giving away a choice of Gold *APPLE versions of the BC 2007 or BC 2008 to folks who find spelling mistakes first. We added at least one new page this week (yesterday), just to keep you on your toes!

*APPLE = Artist and Producers' Personal Limited Edition

We have had the GC coloured Inuksuk for a few weeks now and this week we got the Team Canada version in red/white/black with the red maple leaf on the centre stone. I'm loving this one!

Next up to the line of Inuksuk's is the 'Stone' version, my personal fave! Unfortunately, the mint decided to 'not follow our directions' and so we are having the unplanned staggered release.
Page 1 of 1