CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Travel Bug Etiquette
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Revelstoke
Revelstoke:  [?] . Carved Grizzlies frame a town square in Revelstoke. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Travel Bug Etiquette
toplefttopfilltopright
Travel Bug Etiquette
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bestred

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted before but I wonder about this cause I have seen different things that happen and don't happen.

I am one that is lazy to log, but not my TB's. The only time I don't get my TB logged is if I am busy and unable to log at that time.
I believe you should log a TB 'AS SOON AS YOU CAN', but understand if life gets in the way sometimes.
Now, as for the 'grabbing' a TB from someone.

Just recently I put a TB in a cache and forgot to write down the number and the person who found it emailed me....thank you, but later grabbed it (after a day) and will soon find out if they dipped it or not.
I understand when someone drops a TB and still has it in their grasps....but I do believe that you should at least give them some leeway - more than a day or two at least.
If I need to grab a TB from someone....I will email them and wait a few days, email them again and then if nothing, grab the TB, DIP it in the cache found to get the miles and then retrieve it from the cache itself.

What is the proper protocol on grabbing a TB from someone and should it be dipped in the cache found or not?

I personally would hate to have my TB not log the miles it has traveled.

Also, if you don't see a TB in a cache that has recently been logged by many people, the same day, should you post right away to the person who put it in there that it isn't in there? I am wondering what the protocol on this is as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Have a look at my travel bug . almost 2 years no movement.No miles.

www.geocaching.com/tra...?id=161563
curnew

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

team monopoly 1 wrote:
Have a look at my travel bug . almost 2 years no movement.No miles.

www.geocaching.com/tra...?id=161563

They haven't moved it in 2 years.. that's sad...
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

oh my...i would be all over those people...but I am sure you have
so sorry that some people have just been horrible

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

What I don't understand is why people who almost never cache feel the need to pick up coins and TBs. My first TB was picked up by someone that had 29 finds in 4 years. They never logged it, but I know they had it from their logging of the cache. Months pass, with no response to emails. I finnally track down a friend of theirs who says that they are going to drop it in Nova Scotia. GREAT, that's awesome....two more months pass and nothing happens. I contact the friend again and he says that this guy did drop it in Nova Scotia. Well it's never been logged and I have no idea where it is now. Maybe it turns up...but I wont hold my breath.

Bonus points to someone who can design a laser that blasts anyone picking up a TB/Coin that isn't going to cache for 6+ months Shifty

I made my peace with it, and understand that it's all part of the leap of faith you make when you release a TB/Coin, but that doesn't make it piss me off any less, lol.

On the plus side, my other two trackables are doing great Beanie
cartguy

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Ok here is a confusing TB story. I dropped a TB last year in othello tunnels after a month or 2 seen a note it was not in the cache and maybe missing. I marked it as missing, now last week it is logged buy a cacher I am guess is from the the states as he/she is going to drop it in Salt Lake (not holding my breath). I check the cacher's stats been a member of GC since 2006 but has never logged a cache and this is the first TB they have logged. Kind of wierd to me.

www.geocaching.com/tra...?id=898211
hollyburn

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Here's one that has resurfaced after missing since 2005.
www.geocaching.com/tra...4077582c0e
grafinator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

My Globe Traveller TB isn't doing quite as bad, it has only been sitting in this persons house for 9 months.

I know, because I asked them if they still have it 3 months ago and they said they do, still no movement though.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Just move the TB's. Don't sweat a few miles on them. Distance is as the crow flies, and therefore not a real representation of how far they went anyway. Fake coords on puzzle caches also add "inaccurate" distances.

Logging mistakes happen. TB's go missing. Nothing to panic about.

In response to the Best Red - if you had already picked up the TB into your inventory, you have received "credit" for it. If you physically drop it into a cache, but do not log it online before someone else finds it and logs it, that is not a big deal. I suspect that is exactly why the "grab" feature exists.

If we wait for every move to be logged in sequence by every cacher, a lot of bugs would sit around in homes and cars waiting for the humans to catch up on the logging.

As you said, life happens. Just have fun and Cache On!
avrilkira

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

I recently had to do the "grab TB from..." as I picked it up from a cache he had just dropped it in and was going caching the next day elsewhere and planned on taking the bug with me. I waited until right before we left and then logged it as a grabbed from. Some people just spend more time by their puters and so are faster at logging (as I recieved an e-mail from that cacher by the time I got home from caching that night) Embarassed

As for the missing coins and TB's my first coin is still in the hands of the 1st person to pick it up (er else its not been logged) and my first TB is showing as in the cache i placed it in even tho the next person to log that cache said they picked it up.... C'est la vie.
vanislelady

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Bestred wrote:

Just recently I put a TB in a cache and forgot to write down the number and the person who found it emailed me....thank you, but later grabbed it (after a day) and will soon find out if they dipped it or not.
I understand when someone drops a TB and still has it in their grasps....but I do believe that you should at least give them some leeway - more than a day or two at least.
If I need to grab a TB from someone....I will email them and wait a few days, email them again and then if nothing, grab the TB, DIP it in the cache found to get the miles and then retrieve it from the cache itself.

Also, if you don't see a TB in a cache that has recently been logged by many people, the same day, should you post right away to the person who put it in there that it isn't in there? I am wondering what the protocol on this is as well.

For me if the cacher has just recently (within a day or so ) physically found the cache but not logged online I will give them some time.
However if they logged the cache say over a week ago or longer and they have not removed the TB from the cache or "dropped" it into the cache I have no problem grabbing it from them. I will then drop the coin for mileage.
I have done this just recently on a coin that had not shown up for months. It had been dropped into a cache 3 months previously and never logged. I will actually try to trace the TB's route if possible and I admit that I have emailed a cacher and sent them the link to the "how to log trackables page"
For me it is frustrating to put trackables out there, someone picks them up and then does nothing with them, holds on to them forever, never bothers logging them, etc.
I have the Unite for Diabetes TB, Campbell River on my watch list and It has been real interesting watching it. it was released in Germany and diseappeared only to show up months later in the Pacific Northwest with no indication of how it got there!!!
I admit I live vicariously(sp?) through my TB's. it is the only way I get to travel the world!!!!!
olipe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

I picked up my first TB called the yellow rose of texas (was very excited to find it by the way) and shortly there after I seriously hurt my back (it makes me easy to spot at geocache events because I carry a cane now). After about a month I sent a message to the owner telling them I was sorry for not moving it quicker to a new spot and gave them an estimated time for putting it in a cache so that it could continue on its way.

Im still tracking it. Its made its way to Hawaii and is now in Minesota (probably liked Hawaii better).

So I guess what my point is "do unto others TB''s as you would have them do unto yours"
angelashley1018

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

I definatly feel all the frustration you are all going through. I was excited to send out my TB a cool geopick from Landsharks. I put it in a TB hotel thinking it would get movement right away as hotels always have people visit. The first person to ever pick up my coin still HAS it and their log said they would move it on quickly. Well its been six months and I have to admit I have written them a few emails, because it just doesnt seem fair to me. They havent done any caches since the day they picked it up, and they never respond to emails. Im super bummed... almost to the point of never wanting to let any of my geocoins go... they seem to just go missing and thats really sad. I wish people were a bit more trustworthy but thats not the reality of the world we live in. It just plain sucks sometimes.
Doonchak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Angelashley, my suggestion would be to post a message or something on various Geo-messages boards asking if anyone knows the cacher who has the coin. You may be able to get to them through a friend or something.

My experience above was basically the same, and though I still have no idea where the TB was, I did at least get in touch with the person who had it through a friend of theirs.
icdgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

I can relate to all of your comments about TB's. I finally had to "let go" of my compulsive tracking habit. No only did I feel guilty if I didn't move a TB along quickly, I also would feel guilty if the NEXT person screwed up by not logging it, not moving it, losing it etc. I have emailed a couple of people who say they "grabbed the XXX TB from the cache" only to see it still on the inventory list in the cache. It got to be way too much responsibility, so now I only worry about myself. And, I admit I have a travel slug in my possesion that I haven't moved in 3 weeks, so sorry. But I took it to France and back, does that count?
goinggone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Our very first TB went missing within a month of being released, the cache it was in got muggled. This was a year ago. It has now been found by a friend of a cacher in a thrift store no less. It still had it TB tag on it. The cacher now has it in hand and hopefully will place it in a cache soon so it may start to travel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Hey goinggone
that is incredible!!!! If only it could talk and tell of its adventure!!

Olipe
RVTraveller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

grafinator wrote:
My Globe Traveller TB isn't doing quite as bad, it has only been sitting in this persons house for 9 months.

I know, because I asked them if they still have it 3 months ago and they said they do, still no movement though.

I've had great success getting my TB's back by e-mailing the person who has it and asking them very politely to mail it back to me. I offer to reimburse them for the postage (which I never have been asked to do).

I once had a TB that had been missing for over 6 months. One day a fellow e-mailed me thru geocaching.com saying that he found my TB on top of his mailbox outside his house! He actually opened an account on geocaching.com just so he could e-mail me and tell me he had it! I asked him to mail it to me, which he did and I sent him a gift certificate and a thank-you card. I just looked at his profile now and I see that he still has never found a geocache but he's logged one TB . . . mine !!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

we always worry when a newer cacher that has never found (or at least logged in) a bug before takes one of our bugs and hasn't logged on since. but other than horrasing them, there's not much we can do.
Popoki_Iti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Someone in the States, relatively new to caching came across a TB that hadn't moved in years. They wanted to get it moving again, and posted in the Groundspeak forums that they were coming to Victoria and wanted to place it where it would get moving again...I pointed them in the direction of the TB hotel downtown. There's always hope...even my little coin has moved a bit after sitting for almost a year!
Cyclepath_Cacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

If I see a TB or GC that has not been dropped and not logged, I'll just grab it, dip it, and grab it again so it gets it's KM's. I've spent lots of time emailing cachers about trackables, and have come to the conclusion that if the previous cacher gets the icon, the owner of the Tb gets the Km's and another drop is logged, then all is well. A cacher does not get a chance to log a note with the trackable when it is dropped at the time of the logging of the cache find.
team monopoly 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Bug Etiquette Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1