CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke BC?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
The Giant Hulks of Powell River
The Giant Hulks of Powell River:  [?] . The Powell River Pulp and Paper Company built an unusual breakwater by anchoring a chain of decomissioned war ships. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke BC?
toplefttopfilltopright
Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke BC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leetamus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke BC? Reply with quote

Hey all

New member. A year ago I found the cords for a cache on a lake past Sooke down a logging road. The lake apparently has some old cabins around it and used to have some canoes provided by the 4x4 club. Does anyone have any info on that lake or how to get to it?

Thanks!
Leet
goat13

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke B Reply with quote

I've looked on GC.com a few times to find likely spots for this cache and need a bit more info on what rd Butler Main is close to so as to narrow it down as i find no mention of Butler Main in the descriptions. Sounds like a nice relaxing overnighter.
leetamus

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke B Reply with quote

I ended up going through my thousands of old bookmarks and found the link. The cords are: N 48° 31.666 W 124° 01.903. It's on Wrye Lake, here's a link to the description at geocaching.com:

www.geocaching.com/see...x?ID=27379

The problem with this one is Butler Main is a private logging road... the gate used to be open to the public but I guess in the last couple years they've closed access to the public.

We rode dirt bikes towards there two weeks ago and about 2/3rds the way up the road was covered by about 3ft of snow! Guess this one will have to wait until it warms up lol.

We're going to use the waiting time to see if we can find a legitimate way up there... I've heard Anderson Rd outside of Shirley goes straight up there, but have yet to see what the access is like.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke B Reply with quote

Wye Lake is on the San Juan Ridge Trail. You can find info at trailpeak I think. After parking on the Jordan Main (4x4 recommend for some of the route) it's good hike to get to the ridge trail and then a few hours east to Wye Lake. The Butler Main is no longer the route to take because of washouts and closures - we've heard that the sink hole and bridge are now impassable so access is from the west.

There is certainly no place on the San Juan Ridge Trail for motorized vehicles though. This is a remote hiking trail on land owned by WFP and maintained by the Kludahk Outdoor Club. This is an alpine trail system with a very sensitive eco-system that is only available for a few months a year due to it's elevation. Are you sure it's Wye Lake you're heading for? The canoe (if it's still there) is supplied by this Outdoors club and they are the farthest thing from a 4x4 club imaginable Laughing . We have the Geocache Wye Frogs on our watchlist and hope to get there one day before the canoe rots! We are planning to make an overnight of it though.
leetamus

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cache on lake off of Butler Main logging road in Sooke B Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info. One of the comments on GC used to link to a private blog which had lots of pics including a row of 6-8 canoes and what appeared to be a pretty nice campsite. That person said the canoes were donated from the 4x4 club, but I don't know anything outside of that blog (which is now gone).

So you figure we couldn't get up there on dirt bikes? Or at least it would uncool given the fragile environment? Pretty sure the snow would still stop us anyways, but curious.

www.geocaching.com/map...-124.03172
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island
Page 1 of 1