CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Roadside Attractions
Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Stone Head in Nanamio [M | C]  Mile Zero in Dawson Creek [M | C]  Jerry the Moose in Clearwater [M | C]  Salmon in Sandspit [M | C]  Big Penny in Salmo [M | C]  Mr. PG in Prince George [M | C]  Gold Pan in Quesnel [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache
toplefttopfilltopright
New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
legacypac

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

Got an email through gc.com from an organization called New Pathways to Gold.

"This is in regards to your geocache, GC133C9.

We are part of an society committed to promoting the historical merits of British Columbia. A current project with, "New Pathways to Gold" (please see www.newpathwaystogold.ca for more details) has discovered that your geocache is marking an historically relevant location. We would like to include your geocache as part of this tour. No further involvement from you would be required. We are simply seeking your permission to publish the geocache waypoint, and related coordinates, in a printed and online, tour pamphlet that is accessible to anyone interested in learning about British Columbia's history in the Gold Rush.

Thank you for your time."

www.newpathwaystogold....egacy.aspx

www.geocaching.com/pro...c2cbfc4a53 is a new user profile on gc.com registered yesterday.

Anyone know about this program? The cache they wrote about is my Lytton Jelly Roll Earthcache, so I am not worried that posting its coordinates outside the gc.com system will compromise it. I might feel differant is it was a physical container. Also, if it is a physical container and people will be searching for it off a brochure, what happens if it is disabled or archived. I can control the cache page but not a printed brochure.
legacypac

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

www.newpathwaystogold.ca/news.aspx here this society got a $2 million grant for trail development. Sounds like a good thing for geocache hiding Smile
Doonchak

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

That is the overall group that is running that Gold Country geotourism program that was posted on the site a month or so back. Derlwyn and I plan on checking it all out in August hopefully Coonskin Hat
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

This program is NOT the Gold Country program (I know this as Gold Country has been consulting with me somewhat). This program is another group that got similar funding through their own proposal. They are searching areas for their sites. I also have received an email that one of my caches is wanted for their program.
Doonchak

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

Ah, my mistake.

So this other group is trying to do the same thing in the same area? Why don't they work together to make an UBER plan that involves lots of free geocoins and swag!
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

i LOVE that idea!!! LOL...but sadly..they have mandates now that they have to fulfill each on their own...but i like the swag and geocoin idea better! Razz
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

We do have mixed emotions - but primarily - are they hiring? We would gladly become cache consultants & placers..

lol.. If we have accomplished what we have on a shoe string budget - we can only imagine with their budget what we would have done if we had it!!!

We'd have people searching the rest of the province in search of mystery containers and legends - after Mr. Turtle & I spent a few months this winter in the archives!!! he he - and about 500 Ammo Cans - sorry no fancy swag.. besides the memories are more fun..

Now back to proofing the book before it goes to print..!!

One last thought - as I thought more about it - it's a great way to share geocaching with others - but do you get to have any say in the way they list it? EG photos, wording? Is it still your cache?
Doonchak

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

boomerangpapa - Is the Gold Country group going to be using any existing caches for their program? Or all new caches placed by the group itself?

To me, that sounds like a better plan then trying to use existing caches, all managed by different users.
legacypac

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

So .... do we allow this group to list our caches?
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

Gold Country is placing all new caches! 72 to be exact (if all goes well!)

New Pathways seem to be cheating a bit by trying to "borrow" others caches. Personally I don't have too much of a problem if they just want to publish and list my cache in their book, but I think its a poor way to have a program as what happens if I choose to remove my cache in 6 months? Then they will have a book with no cache there! Poor planning on their part I think. I am going to write them an email asking for more info on what they plan to do with my cache. Stay tuned!
legacypac

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

boomerangpapa you hit on some of my question exactly. Lytton Jelly Roll is an Earthcache, so unless some one official moves that casting my cache will be fine for many years to come. Physical caches raise other problems.

1. One of the big advantages of the central website is constant updates. A booklet can't ever be as up to date as today's DNF logs on the website are.

2. As you point out, caches are not permanant. What happens if the cache goes missing, owner moves it, or it is archived? No cache, but still "listed" in the book.

3. Will the booklet fall into the hands of muggles who may go searching and taking caches out? Maybe they don't understand the rules or maybe up to no good. In some cases, if non-players know the site from an offline listing they could find the cache with or without GPS and compromise it. (I know this is a risk listing on the site too...)

4. Will listing caches in the book tip off land managers who may not be aware of the hide, and then get them worried/taking action against us etc. Yes, I know we should be getting permission, but a lot of caches are placed on a permission assumed and ok unless we hear otherwise basis.

Just some thoughts. Looking forward to hearing what kind of info they give you. I might write myself.
boomerangpapa

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

I got an email responding to my inquiry about what exactly they want. Hope this helps others like me!

"There is no taking over of an existing cache site. The project is to promote the Goldrush corridor and show the geocaches in the area (ie historic sites), with a link in a passport to the New pathways to gold web site, that will have a list page of the caches, with links to Geocacheing.com. If a cache site is removed by the cache owner, it just taken off our site list. There is no involvment by the cache owners. We just want to have their blessing to promote the sites"

Sounds simple enough I guess. What do you think?
Doonchak

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pathways to Gold - wants to list my cache Reply with quote

I am all for initiatives that make an 'experience' out of going Geocaching. If the Great Coal Rush taught me anything it's that caching is so much more interesting when you have as much invested in the location and it's history as in the search and the find.

Still seems so silly though to have two groups doing more or less the same thing in the same place...seperately...oh well, it is being funded by the Gov, so why I would expect it to make sense is beyond me, lol.

Oh and Turtles, trust me, no amount of free swag would make it anywhere near as good as the event you guys put together. I am just happy that some of my tax dollars are actually going to an activity that I partake in! Plus we can't expect you to cover every inch of BC with your events...can we?

No really...is that possible?

Jester
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1