CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caching Etiquette
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Fort Steele
Fort Steele:  [?] . Fort Steele is a Heritage Town, where visitors can travel back in time to the 1890s and enjoy daily re-enactments of the town's past history and heritage year-round. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caching Etiquette
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Caching Etiquette
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curnew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

We just had a couple questions for everyone. We've been struggling with something lately and we wanted everyone's opinions.

We have not been caching for very long, only a couple months now. We are still learning all the rules and general do's and dont's. We've been so thankful to all those people that have helped us along the way.
What we would like clarification on, is the following:

If we find a cache and we feel there is a rule violation(see below)
Do we:
(a) send a note to the owner expressing our concerns
(b) send a note to mtn-man and report it anonymously

Rule Violations we're thinking about specifically are:
- private property
- dangerous to other cachers
- harmful to environment
- too close to a school
- too close to an intersection
- too close to a major bridge
- looks too much like it could be a bomb
- etc

Seeing all the issues both in Surrey and the bomb scare in the interior,

What do you think?

(PS. we will state our opinion after a couple people have chimed in)
team monopoly 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

I think you should stop caching immediately. If you have found this many problems in 2 months, are you just looking for problems.
I have been caching over 4 years, I have never reported a cache.
This is suppose to be a fun activity . Not a place for trouble makers to start getting caches ban all over town.
Please stop caching and let those that enjoy it carry on.
curnew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

We've ALWAYS done option (a) however, someone has recently done option (b) to one of our hides. We think option (b) is bad, and just wanted to see everyones opinion. Sorry for the confusion. We always talk to the owner first. Monopoly I'm assuming your opinion is to do option (a) then?
geo_canuck77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

Last night I had a cacher email mtn-man saying one of my caches is on private property (which it isn't) and another is on school property (which it isn't) at around 11pm last night these caches got disabled! Today I needed to pool cachers together to email mtn-man letting him know these caches are fine, (thanks to those who emailed) both caches are disabled still Sad This cacher in no way emailed me letting me know that he thought the cache was on private or school property. This is the same cacher that curnew is having a issue with. How is that any fun going around picking apart peoples caches?
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

To answer your question,

If we find a cache and we feel there is a rule violation(see below)
Do we:
(a) send a note to the owner expressing our concerns
(b) send a note to mtn-man and report it anonymously

I would say (a). That is how I would want to be treated. If I made an error in my cache I would hope that I would receive an email before poor mtn-man had to get invovled.

As for:
- too close to a school
- too close to an intersection
- too close to a major bridge

who is to decide what is "too close". My "too close" and your "too close" are most likely different. If you think it might be just put it nicely in your log.

Private property. Now there is a subject. Remember if it is on private property and you don't feel comfortable doing the cache then don't do it. Most parking lot caches are on private property. And there are caches in parking lots all over the world. It is up to you.

And lastly,
-dangerous to other cachers
- harmful to environment

just email the owner and tell want your concern is.

Most of all, have FUN. Don't take it to too seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

team monopoly 1 wrote:
I think you should stop caching immediately. If you have found this many problems in 2 months, are you just looking for problems.
I have been caching over 4 years, I have never reported a cache.
This is suppose to be a fun activity . Not a place for trouble makers to start getting caches ban all over town.
Please stop caching and let those that enjoy it carry on.

I sincerely hope you are joking/sarcastic as the way I read it...it seems very rude and uncalled for. Shifty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

I believe that answer A is the way to go.
This is the way I would want to be treated.

I believe that Catapult Jeff has said it all.
There is always your close/bad/gross/etc. and someone else's close/gross/bad/etc.

It is disappointing that you and geocanuck77 are having problems with someone and now Mtn. Man and he isn't verifying what others are saying. I am wondering what his reasoning is that he isn't listening to the other cachers.

I wish you both the best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

As we find new caches we will see problems from time to time. We have to remember that when we find the caches the area may have been altered since the cache was placed.

There have been a few occasions where no trespassing sings have gone up after a cache was placed. So, it's not the cache owner's fault. But it is our duty to let the cache owner know.

Although some parking lot caches in strip malls etc may be considered private property, it is assumed by law that public access is allowed unless the lot is chained, barred, or a sign is clearly placed. There are bylaws in most areas about parking overnight, however.

Danger is in the eye of the beholder. There are caches on cliffs, glaciers with crevaces, under water (sometimes at the depth of 300 feet) and in the middle of nowhere only availabe by dogsled or helicopter. My best advice for this is don't do caches beyond your physical capability. Only you know your limits. The terrain rating should tell you how hard the cache is and if you find yourself on a cliff with only a 3 star terrain raiting, let the cache owner know that it may be a bit harder than he or she imagines. I have a cache on a very steep embankment and I don't consider it putting other cachers in danger. They are putting themselves in danger if they feel that a smiley is more important than not having the right equipment (including boots) for the cache.

I'm still surprised when people say they're wearing flip flops for one of my caches.

I have a soft spot for environmental issues. But we can accidently assume that an area trashed is due to geocachers alone. I've personally seen geocache areas trashed only to find that neighbourhood kids or dogs off leash have been the cause. Please don't assume geocachers are always the cause of environmental damage. A geocache in the centre of the problem doesn't always mean it is the cause. But if you are sure it is the cause it is important to contact the cache owner.

You'll find that most geocaching issues work themselves out. If you're concerned about a problem, many other geocachers are too. There is no need to immediately contact groundspeak if you see a problem. Contact some cachers in the area that have been around for a while. It's a great community and there is a good chance that others may agree or may be already solving the problem.
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

"a" all the way....
If it looks like there is a problem with the placement a kind e/m to the owner is the nicest way to go as any problem is usually innocently done.
Or, as mentioned, it may be a fresh something that came up after the placement has been there a while that the c/o is unaware of.

Some people miss the Listing Guidelines which are sensible.
www.geocaching.com/abo...lines.aspx

There are two on that list that aren't on your list:
# Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
# Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method. (drilling, using nails etc)

Of course caching is for fun but placements against the guidelines can cause Trouble for all of caching and cachers. Silence = consent. And someone caching a hide that isn't allowed, in their innocence, may go hide one just the same promulgating a problem. We need to be pro-active and kind and treat others like we would like. If we help each other hide great placements it only adds to the value and fun. And keeps us from getting noticed and regulated like Surrey has just done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

Unless I personally know the cache owner, I would choose option B. (if I do anything at all) My brother recently sent a note to a cache owner (a well known lower mainland cacher) regarding a cache that was on private property. I could not believe the response he got back. Rude, arrogant, condescending and down-right nasty! The cache WAS/IS definitely on private property too.

No way I'm going to chance getting that type of response. I'd rather just let it be.
curnew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

peppy wrote:
I could not believe the response he got back. Rude, arrogant, condescending and down-right nasty!

From my experience(all be it only 3 months) we have NEVER gotten a rude response from another cacher. I guess that's one thing that sucks about the internet. Lack of emotion. Some peoples typed words seem more harsh then they would say to someones face. I'd appreciate any feedback on our caches.

Jeff
gearhedd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

I chose option C, remove cache and keep for myself.. just kiddin'

Many of the issues above like too close to school, bridge, intersection and train tracks are MtnMan's call.
cartguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

I am with Catapult Jeff. If I am not comfortable doing a cache I don't do it and leave it at that. To many people out there stirring the pot causing trouble I get enough of that at work. I cache for the FUN of it. Smack silly me.
gotlost001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Etiquette Reply with quote

curnew wrote:

From my experience(all be it only 3 months) we have NEVER gotten a rude response from another cacher. I guess that's one thing that sucks about the internet. Lack of emotion. Some peoples typed words seem more harsh then they would say to someones face. I'd appreciate any feedback on our caches.

Jeff
Here is some feed back, I just did you rock n roll cache, Great job, well done awesome. Some of your early ones, were so, so. This last one is what it is all about. Don't let people tell you to quit, or remove your caches, as long as you can feel proud of the hide and you have met all of the guidelines. Don't forget that your caches may be around for a long time and you want to be as happy with them years down the road as you are now. Keep up the challenging hides and don't forget to hide a few easy ones for guys like me. LOL Shifty
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1