CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caches on major bridges
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
The Giant Hulks of Powell River
The Giant Hulks of Powell River:  [?] . The Powell River Pulp and Paper Company built an unusual breakwater by anchoring a chain of decomissioned war ships. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Caches on major bridges
toplefttopfilltopright
Caches on major bridges
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

So there was a new cache published this morning, and it is apparently located on off the sidewalk in the middle of the Granville Street Bridge, Vancouver's busiest bridge into the downtown core. There is no cover there, it is extremely exposed with tonnes of vehicles and pedestrians.

This seems like an extremely bad idea. Someone or many people will get caught by muggles while searching for or replacing this cache. At one point someone *will* report someone placing a suspicious package on a major thoroughfare into downtown Vancouver. Police will be called, the bridge will be closed.

I don't understand how this cache was approved, and I wonder if we should actively do something to get it archived.

Am I just over-sensitive to this?

A>

Cache stats and map
LordEd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

What's the GC#? What size is it?
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

The cache placement guidelines say

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

If you think this cache violates these cache placement guidelines then a quick note to mtn-man would be a good place to start (and possibly finish).

I wonder how many people actually read the listing guidelines before they check the box that says that they have!
scruffster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

I don't see a listing right on the bridge. It must have been archived already.
Aerodoq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

The cache page isn't coming up right now. It was listed as GC1PNG9 "Granville Bridge", a 1/1.5 micro.

I will assume that it was published in error then quickly retracted. Whew.

A>

Cache stats and map
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

Seems its already deactivated. But, there are plenty of places under the bridge on both sides it could be. Granville Island us under a good portion of that bridge. Have to wait and see I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

Granville Island is pretty well saturated at the moment; there's a multi that takes up quite a bit of it.

However, the cache page was actually up this morning when I looked at it, and the location and cache description clearly had it on the span.

A>

Cache stats and map
gearhedd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

I don't see a problem myself, its a micro no one driving by would take notice. If under the bridge, then there would be an issue, and if the cache was a large pvc container. My two cents..
Bill the Cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Caches on major bridges Reply with quote

This has been a concern of mine for a while. The guidelines do definitely state that putting a Cache on the bridge is not allowed. With todays terrorist threat I think that as reponsible cachers we need to think very carefully about when and where we place our caches. If it would cause someone to think that there was a terror threat we need to use wisdom and not place that cache.

Bill the Cat Cookie Monster
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1