CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» SWAG —» What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Swans of Lonesome Lake
Swans of Lonesome Lake:  [?] . You might remember a book called "The Caruso of Lonesome Lake" where Ralph Edwards saved the BC Trumpeter swans from extinction from the 1920's to the 1950s. It was almost required reading for our generation in elementry school in the 70s. Edwards cabin burnt down in the BC fires of 2004. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» SWAG —» What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches
Here you can talk about all the fun items associated with geocaching. Buy/Sell/Barter/Trade here.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
team monopoly 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches Reply with quote

So This weekend I was in Stanley park.
There was a cache with a couple of trackable coins in it.
So I went to this cache, When I got there , NO COINS !!
But there was 1 nickel. Like why would someone put in a nickel?
Also in the cache was a door key for a hotel in whistler.
Why would someone leave a useless door key, ?
More and more the items left in caches is just garbage.
Seems that as this game gets more popular, what people are leaving is just doggy doo.
I don't mind it when I see old toys , perhaps some parents let there kids have these.
Once I saw a soother in a cache, GROSS!!
Its not like I ever expect to find something I want in a cache , beside a travel bug or coin, But to simply put in garbage?
I don't get it.
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches Reply with quote

When we hide a cache, we put in between $20 and $50 worth of swag in it. We never replenish the swag on a maintenence run. "Let the world take care of itself" is our excuse.

I wonder if its human nature to value the thing you have in your hand more than the things in the cache. If so then all cache's swag goes down hill fast. It sure has been my experience, our popular caches have very little of value in them too soon after they are found a few times (exept "It's all about the trade" of course, it has cool stuff in it).

We don't even take trade items with us caching anymore, so often we found nothing in the cache worth trading for.

Three times we have removed discarded cache sheet printouts, twice we have removed scrap paper with hints decoded out on them, from caches we have found.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches Reply with quote

The 'junk in cache' syndrome is one of the reasons my kids no longer want to go caching (or at least my 2 younger ones).

Though they do enjoy a nice walk or exploring, for them a large part of the fun is the trading at a cache. Unless it is a new cache , it is pretty much guaranteed to be full of garbage.

It seems to me that some people see something they want out of a cache, don't have anything to trade, so they empty the doggy doo out of their wallet or pocket, or purse.

I pretty much never trade. I have a nice little bag of Piggy LED Flashlights, and I'm more apt to give them to people I meet on the trail, or at an event than leave them in a cache.

It's a rare occasion when my kids do come out, and there is something worth trading for in a cache.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

I echo CB's sentiments here. My 4 year old is inevitably disappointed if I've made the mistake of promising her a "treasure hunt" only to have it end up as a "dump run". I usually end up letting her pick a trinket from my pack.

I'm not sure why people leave garbage? I hid a not-kid friendly cache once (it was a sandwich sized lock and lock) and I specifically stated on the page that there were no trade items in the cache; just a log book, pens and pencils. When I checked on it a month later is was jammed full of broken junk. Not only that, but the junk made it impossible to close properly so it was all damp inside.

Of course, there are a still people who go out of their way to leave something quite nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

It is disappointing isn't it. You spend your time and money to place a cache with nice swag for adults and children and within a few visits it's all gone and it's broken dirty McToys or rocks or as you say nickels. That cracks me up. Even a dollar store item costs more than a dollar with tax and folk leave a nickel or a quarter as trade. sigh.
Salmon Salute, a good sized cache, was filled to the brim with great new swag (again) and within weeks it is now almost empty with bottle caps and worthless items. Funny how the logs in the cache say TNLN but the swag vanishes little by little. Though one person was honest: "Took item ( I won't say what here but it was nice), Left nothing." lol
Or the folk who take swag and leave a TB which is not swag as it has an owner.
I rarely trade but do leave swag and do carry (if I remember to bring the bag with me and not leave it in the car, lol) items from a dollar on up to $15.00 on me because don'tcha know when you don't have swag, then suddenly out of the blue there is actually tradable items.
It used to be you not only stated in the cache log but also on your online log what trades were done but that has fallen by the wayside which is too bad. Of course some of that is pure innocence by new cachers.
Integrity is when you are good even when no one is looking.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

IMO..I usually take nothing leave nothing (when I trade, I trade even or up) but I always try to leave a positive log entry. On most occasions I may not have come to a particular area without there being a cache involved. So many times I am so pleased and impressed with the area the cache is in, my goal to signing the log book, I'm just so glad I was brought to another amazing place. I have some caches placed that had pennies added to the cache containers...these pennies react with moisture and ruin the log book and anything else that is in the cache. I believe that someone that might leave something is just trying to be grateful, but at the same time it might not be in the best interests of the actual cache container and it's contents. Geocaching is a game...we can only hope that when a cache is in disrepair, the next cacher will do whatever they can to help. Also, every cacher should always carry a writing utensil of their own!!! Smack
landsharkz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in caches Reply with quote

We often leave swag, but it is almost always a case of pulling out garbage and replacing it with nicer stuff. Unfortunately, its usually because we feel bad leaving a cache box almost empty after taking out the garbage... but often the garbage is old toys and stickers and keychains that were probably ok swag at one time, just gone rotten over time. We do see the true garbage sometimes... I totally don't understand that.

We also replenish our own caches sometimes. Another thing we'll do is take out something that's too big to fit in a cache box... They often prevent the lids from closing properly, causing everything else in the box to die. That's a case of good swag gone bad. We'll put it in another cache.

I'm not suggesting that people always do what we do... and we don't always do this. But I think its a mind-set thing. Leave the cache as you'd like to find it. You have to really care for the other people who are going to find the cache.
Patriot10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

Hey everyone.. thought I would give my 2 cents.

Anyway geocaching is not about what you find in the cache it about getting out and doing something active and going to places you would never go with out the incentive. Yes there is doggy doo in caches now days but look at the bright side you may have never saw that area if it wasn't for that cache.

Later

Patriot10 and Weremoose
gearhedd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

I have over 20 caches published with swag items, I start with swag that has value not $20 - $40 dollar like one cachers has stated that would be nice to come accross but may be going over board. As a cahe owner I put these caches out with swag I expect to them be taken or traded and if someone kid or adult just has to have something and gets some enjoyment out of the swag item, great. I have come accross caches with swag I liked "small used gerber knife" and eyed this swag up and then left it as I had nothing more then a buck or two. Now this knife has a value of more then a dollar store knife that could have been in the cache. I do however go back to my caches and remove garbage and may add a couple new things.
The dollar stores do have some good stuff once in awhile, once I found camping gear, survival stuff.....etc. I also try to reuse stuff my kids no long want or stuff I no long have use for, I try to be thrifty yet have something of value in the cache at the start. Remember most of the trade items are there for the kids not so much the adults. I like most adult caches like coins/tbs and perhaps personnal tokens or trade items which are easy to trade for as I just add one of my tokens.
I do find it funny not to see a pencil in a cache, I end up puttting in a pencil in all my caches including film canaster size and up. I do carry a pen 90% of the time and 1% of the time I don't there is no pencil in cache and I find a way to leave my mark. But this si where i wish cachers would step up and replace items like missing pencils and wet logbooks. You can buy 12 pencils for a buck cut them in half or smaller and they end up costing only a few cents. Same as logbooks, i have nice logbooks in some of my caches, where i have bought a pack of 3-4 for a buck but I have made my own to fit the cache better. so you can buy a box of paper of 500 sheets for $10 bucks and make alot of logbooks maybe more then you will ever need. I is easy to do maintance on someones cache if the logbooks os wet and would do much to help the cache owner and would me nice for the next cacher to find a dry logbook. Having over then 35 caches there are always on cache with issues and sometimes more. And sometimes I myself don't get out right away to fix the cache, I do try however. Some cache owners don't , once the cache is placed that is it ,and I know it's the cache owners responsiblity but if we can improve caches already published couldn't we shouldn't we, the cost is minimal especially for those that don't hide and haven't spent the time or cost of the original.

My too cents.....maybe more lol
HighMaintenance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

I have enjoyed the caches I have managed to find of yours gearhedd..lol you are creative and evil I might add.. Nut I had no idea really how amazing geocaching was when I first started and my thrill everytime is to be brought to a place I never knew existed. Many of your caches have done that for me! I don't do a lot of trading...I often leave items...but for me the adventure of the cache, is why I continue to cache! I always take several writing sticks with me as I personally feel if there is a log book to be signed then I need to sign it...but maybe I will start to leave pencils in caches just in case someone needs one to sign the log book!
icdgirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

I've also become dismayed by the junk being left behind (and sometimes totally inappropriate things, like a cigarette for crying out loud!). My question is, I've recently started removing junk from caches - yesterday it was broken, soggy crayons, a bus transfer from 2007, a rusted keychain, etc. I replaced it with some more swag of my own, all individually wrapped in little gem bags.

I wondered though if some cache owners would take offense to my cleaning up the junk? I have to assume that the original contents were better stuff so it isn't the CO's junk, but what do other people think?

I'd also like to reply to Team Monopoly 1's comment about missing coins. There's one cache in particular in Stanley Park (think it's muggled now) that listed about 6 coins/TB's, all were gone. Would it be offensive to ask the cache owner to please go to their listing and change the trackables to "missing"?
tjguy98

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

icdgirl wrote:

I wondered though if some cache owners would take offense to my cleaning up the junk? I have to assume that the original contents were better stuff so it isn't the CO's junk, but what do other people think?

I'd also like to reply to Team Monopoly 1's comment about missing coins. There's one cache in particular in Stanley Park (think it's muggled now) that listed about 6 coins/TB's, all were gone. Would it be offensive to ask the cache owner to please go to their listing and change the trackables to "missing"?

The cache owners would be (should be) more than happy that you took the effort to enhance the goodies in the cache

And no, the cache owners should not take offensive ....it's the cache owners responsibility to maintain their cache, including updating information about the cache or trackable contents...

MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

I cache for the sake of the enjoyment and thrill of the hunt. Swag is incidental. Icing on the cake.
It's one of the "what is's" of life and there is simply no sense in getting upset about it...a waste of time as you can't do a thing about it. It's one of the facts of caching that a cache degenerates for a number of reasons. Like any other activity it has it's quality participants to those who don't know or don't care.
I choose to stock a new cache with great swag of differing value ensuring there is stuff for the children. I may or may not keep re-stocking a cache with new items. If people simply take items without trading fairly or at all that reflects on them, not on the hider.
I toss out the dirty broken items, bottle caps, nothing special rocks they picked up on the way, etc. that some folk thought were "fair" to use as trade for the pristine store bought item(s) they took. lol.
It is not a hider's responsibility to constantly provide new swag as if it is some kind of free store. Some hiders don't even bother with starting a cache with swag any more they are so discouraged. Their choice. It's their hide and their fun.
What I would like to see is swag that is respected. I've opened my own and found others cachers where swag was shoved back in with little regard for it's condition. Items bent so now they are no longer pristine and desirable such as beautiful cards, some lovely items made out of fine metals, rulers, all kinds of things. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this.
I've been placing any swag I do trade in plastic bags to protect them from getting dirty or 'used" looking.
What is tragic is how people's belongings: ie: TB's and trackable coins are used as trade or kept and not kept moving. If only some of them would realize all they have to do is put it on their watchlist and they can be part of the travel adventures, thus "keeping" the traveler in their experience.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is going on with all this garbage being put in cach Reply with quote

I've been surprised at how uncertain it is... some caches we've seen have garbage, but others have really wonderful items inside them. Mostly we take nothing (our main goal is to discover new locations and to get outside and play!), but it's nice to see that some people out there are respectful of the cache.

What bugs me more is the garbage dumps we've found in the wilderness. ARG!
Page 1 of 1