CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Placement of Caches
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Victoria Harbour
Victoria Harbour:  [?] . Historic Victoria. Caches galore, and a little high tea at the Empress Hotel. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Placement of Caches
toplefttopfilltopright
Placement of Caches
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Placement of Caches Reply with quote

TESKELLY and I were chatting the other night and since this is a touchy subject I thought I would share some views.

People are always talking about ensuring that caches are placed properly, hidden well, and not harming the environment in any way. That is all well and dandy, but not everyone does this.

When I went and placed my Tinkerbell Fairies Series, TESKELLY came with me as I like having his input on my cache placements. (and well we usually do caching together...lol)
The main thing we looked at was the area surrounding where the cache would be placed. I know one of the caches was up a slope, but that one is moved (in the process). TESKELLY was very strict in saying that we needed to ensure we were not harming the environment in any way and he also said that we needed to think of what other cachers were going to think of the cache placement.

BANG! he hit the nail on the head

'Think of what other cachers are going to think of the placement'

If we think of the other cachers and how they would see the hide and what they would say about it...it is somewhat easier to place a cache. No one wants to hide a cache where another cacher is going to say it was a BAD hide. We as cachers want to hear how awesome our cache hides were.
We want to hear about how it was hard, but with the hint they could find it...how it was well hid....how it was environmentally friendly, etc.

If you think about it, placing a cache is like cooking a dinner for several guests. You want them to enjoy it! You want them to rave about it! and you want them to commend you.

Does this make sense?????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Placement of Caches Reply with quote

This is a very good frame of mind to be in when you hide cache. I love the cooking analogy.

Chris
Derlwyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Placement of Caches Reply with quote

Yes, you make complete sense Bestred.

I believe that when placing a cache, one should place it with a purpose. My first two (and only) placed caches were definitely placed as easy to access, easy to find, and suitable for families, kids, and newcomers to geocaching.

I think issues arise when people begin to place caches with the purpose of being more challenging to find. Many people find creative ways to create or camo containers to increase the difficulty. Some supply fantastic puzzles to solve. Others take you on challenging hikes where the joy of completing a hike is doubled due to the fact that you also found a cache. Some feel that they accomplish a higher difficulty by putting a nano in a tree, in a forest.

I feel that as long as a cache was placed with a purpose, and a purpose greater than just getting a cache out there, it is fine in my books. I think that sometimes we as seekers tend to ignore D/T ratings or even notes on the cache page which supply information regarding whether or not one needs to leave a trail, or search near a fence on private property. Sometimes the fault does not lay in the placement, but in how a cacher approaches a cache. I do not believe that anyone can predict with 100% certainty how all will approach the finding of their cache.

I do not believe that any of my caches are worthy of high praise or acknowledgement due to their difficulty or creativity (unlike my mad cooking skills) but I know that I will put many out that will have the purpose to challenge the minds and bodies of cachers. I also know that I will always err on the side of being environmentally friendly, but I know that there are many out there who do not think the way I do.

I do hope that people will consider the environmental ramifications of cache placements due to the fact the we as geocachers are in a very unique position. We encourage people to go out and enjoy our beautiful environment, and we should encourage people to leave it the way they found it. Whether we are aware of it or not, we are all spokespeople for our environment.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Placement of Caches Reply with quote

Derlwyn wrote:
I do hope that people will consider the environmental ramifications of cache placements due to the fact the we as geocachers are in a very unique position. We encourage people to go out and enjoy our beautiful environment, and we should encourage people to leave it the way they found it. Whether we are aware of it or not, we are all spokespeople for our environment.

Derlwyn, along the theme of hiding with a 'purpose'...what about hiding a cache or series of caches that helps people learn about environmentally conscious cache placement and hunting? I'm not sure how to go about it, but you could use your description on the cache page or make a puzzle to help people think in a more environmental way about their hides and finds. I guess the best you could hope for would be to raise awareness, but even that is a step in the right direction.
Derlwyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Placement of Caches Reply with quote

Quote::
what about hiding a cache or series of caches that helps people learn about environmentally conscious cache placement and hunting?

I think this would be a very noble and worthwhile idea. Like you I'm not quite sure how it could be entirely pulled off. Even with the goal of being completely environmentally sensitive it's not possible to control how people will go about looking for it. I mean truthfully, how many times have we all crashed through sections of bush to reach a location only to discover a clear trail that was completely missed.

I think that it would have to come down to having a friend or two come along to approve the location, much like Bestred mentioned in the first post. This might not always be a viable option though.

Perhaps with a good deal of critical thought about a cache placement many issues can be avoided, but I think we should be willing to accept that not every cache, or cacher, will be perfect. We'll just have to do what we can to lead by example.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Placement of Caches Reply with quote

Environmental awareness can take many forms and really the sky is the limit.

CreakyClanChris hid a great puzzle cache here in town and he had two FTF prizes - $10 for the first-to-find who took a bus to get to the cache and $5 for the first-to-find who drove to get it! He got his environmental awareness message out pretty clearly Medal .

I am working on a Rally Event with BC Parks where participants will be on foot, bike or horseback in one of their parks that has an area of multi-use trails. All these hides will meet BC Parks cache hide policies and everyone who wants to take part should expect a day on the trails because of the location of the event and the cache placements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1