CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Spotted Lake
Spotted Lake:  [?] . Rapid evaporation of Spotted Lake during the summer months results in crystallized rings surrounding multicoloured pools. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching?
toplefttopfilltopright
Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

Yes I have done a few in my brief time caching.

My last two involved my other half, this time it is a solo trip.

I left the nice confines of Langley and headed south. My first stop was GCGV0P or better known as the ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE. Ahh yes the holly grail of caching. Just driving there was half the battle, the next half was finding the replacement cache itself.
I also met 3 other Cachers from California here.

So the story goes instead of heading south from here my plans changed and I took a left turn at Portland and went east. This was due to snow at Mt. Shasta.

So far I have been to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada (Las Vegas) and again Arizona where I am today. From here I will head west to San Diego to meet friends and have dinner and do more caching.

For those interested you can follow me at trip blog.

Phil
goaliegirl38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

Looks great Phil!

Don't forget you can submit your blog for our Geocaching Blog links page!
Philatsea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

I have updated the link above to include today's caches. I think it was 66 caches today found and 3 DNF's.
I cached for a total of 8 hours with a brief stop for lunch. We don't have any place like this in BC or likely Canada where you have a divided 4 lane highway that has little or no traffic on it. You can park on the shoulder with no problem. I had the police pass me a couple of times and no problems.
They believe in 4 wheel drive roads down here do I left several behind because of this.
I have learned this would be better if there was two of us caching rather than just myself.

I have to also think about not doing something stupid and getting injured in the middle of no where. If there were two of us I might be a more inclined to jump fences etc.

Phil
hawk-dive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

Had a look at your trip blog. Looks like a great trip. Loved looking at the awesome pics.
tjguy98

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

Enjoyed the read and wished I was there too! Let us know when you have updates.....

Philatsea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

I have left Phoenix and headed west.

I am now in Palm Springs. I stopped along the way at a spot I wanted to do last April when I was last here. This was a series off of Box Canyon Road.

Had some different caches today and a very interesting sign at the first one.

I have posted the photos etc.

Phil
Philatsea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

I have completed my hike today on the Boo Hoff trail and done 18 caches. It started out about 16C and then warmed up to about 23C. It was high cloud at times but at other times it was sunny and warm. A brezze developed as I hiked down making it that much easier.
You can visit the photos etc. and see what I am doing.

I am off to the coast tomorrow so not sure how much caching I will do.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Phil
Philatsea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

Well I arrived home Sunday night.

I drove from San Diego to Medford Oregon where I spent the night. I did 3 caches Sunday morning before I left.

The total caches in the 13 days I was gone was 160 caches. It was not as many as I had planned to do, as I had planned on 200. This was my fault because I made a mistake and booked the hotel in Phoenix for 2 days longer than planned. I was to do another hike in Indio that I did not do.

What did I learn:

That maps on geocaching.com can be very misleading. Roads are shown that don't exist, even looking at satellite views don't tell the whole story. That was the case in Jean Nevada. Trying to contact the local geocaching area would really help with this.
The use of shot gun shells appears to be common in the USA. Even talking to cachers from the US they are not happy with this practice.
Drilling into tress is common.
I did see major areas of vegetation destroyed by cachers.

I will be going back to Palm Springs/Indio next year. Just remember if you plan to travel here that summer is NOT the time to cache in the desert. I noticed almost all caches in the desert go un-found over the summer.

Some things to consider is the critters. I had been warned by locals to watch out for the following: Rattle Snakes (they are suppose to be hibernating right now but because it has been warm this may not be the case. Also don't wake a hibernating snake I was told, they are not early "spring" people) Scorpions, Tarantulas, Bob Cats, Lizards. Don't stick hand into holes use a stick or protective gloves.
The funniest thing that happened was the Lizard jumping out at me from under a piece of paper beside a cache. Talk about jump and scream. Yes I did both.

Carry a rubber band in case you get bit. First aid kit in the car is a must as well as back pack when hiking. Cell phone service appeared to be available the whole time.

Seeing caches in Cactus and then the art of retrieving them is different. I felt like I gave blood the whole day. Watching where you step and how you step is also needed.

If you have any questions or comments please post them.

Thanks

Phil
Fryertuck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever wanted to do a Road Trip caching? Reply with quote

Congratulations on your excellent blog. Having spent the last four winters caching in the southwest I find your photos really capture a lot of the atmosphere in the desert.
As to the hazards there, an old saying applies: There is nothing in the desert that will not either prick you, sting you, bite you or eat you.
The use of a 4-wheel drive also widens your caching experience greatly, in some areas there are more caches suitable to 4-wheelers than others.
Glad you had a good trip, and have many more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1