CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Nanos and Micros
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Sockeye Salmon
Sockeye Salmon:  [?] . Over fifteen million sockeye salmon return to the Adams River by Chase once every four years. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» Nanos and Micros
toplefttopfilltopright
Nanos and Micros
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Ok...I am putting this forward as this is another debated issue

Should nanos and micros have direct hints?

I think it depends on the placement of the hide.
If the hide is in a forest or park or in a bush....there needs to be a hint to prevent any damage to the environment.
As for PLC or LPC...well those are basically right in your face.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

The owner is responsible for the placement and should consider what damage may occur. But the cacher who is searching for the cache should always be concerned on how he or she is disturbing the area. Although hints are nice, they should never be required, a note to say its a nano comared to a micro is nice. The difficulty rating should give you some idea on how hard it will be to find.
My question is why hide a micro in the woods when the area is big enough to hide an ammo can. I have plenty of nano and micro hides only because the area could not possible hide anything bigger, for the most part.

My question is what is considered damage, if a cache is hide in a rotten stump. As cachers search for cache the stump ends up falling apart, ARE: they destroying the area OR contribute to the decaying process of the stump?
Another one is a trail that has a steep bank and you need to search the side of the bank and slowly the areas leaves branches get moved down toward the bottom is this damage, when you see that the neighbors have thrown their grass clipping, and some other garbage over their fence or
the area has a homeless tent shelter with their garbage around is this not more of a problem.

What I'm trying to say is SOME CACHERS, think that leaves, small sticks,
small debree being moved around is destroying the area, I disagree I like to push back any debree that I move while searching just to leave the area as I found it. If cachers would use their eyes first, they may not need to pull all the debree away from every tree and root and stump.

What I think of as destroying an area is to trample through bushes, pulling moss off, pulling bark off trees. Making short cuts, will looking may create un needed trails, Try hiding your caches near trails or off an already used secondary trail.
Doonchak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Personally, there is nothing that I dislike more then a hint that tells me exactly where the cache is. A hint should be a hint, regardless of the cache type, not a dead-giveaway that takes 95% of the fun out of searching for a cache.

I think it would be ok however if there were 2 hints. One, hidden in the normal manner that is a hint. The second, which could be the dead-giveaway is crypted and reversed so the fun of the hunt is not killed off when the cacher needs a little nudge.

At the end of the day though, it is the cachers responsibility to stop searching if they can't find it and continuing to search is going to cause damage. We can't tear an area apart and then say...well I had too because the hider didn't give me a hint.

Again, it really relies on the cacher's being encouraged to do certain things...nothing can be mandated in a sport that is not really controlled by anyone. The BCGA can say whatever they want and try to enforce whatever they want...and maybe everyone in the BCGA follows those rules....but there are probably hundreds of cachers in BC who either have no idea who the BCGA is or don't care what they say.

It's all about influence management. Show people why doing something a certain way is better and then hope that they care enough to do it without having to be told.
cartguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Gearhedd has said it all. I feel the same way. Lightbulb
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Excellent post gearhedd (btw: nice to see you the other night!) Part of it said: "My question is what is considered damage, if a cache is hide in a rotten stump. As cachers search for cache the stump ends up falling apart, ARE: they destroying the area OR contribute to the decaying process of the stump?" --I know a stump can be searched with eyes and respectful hands. If you are destroying it that's not good search technique. Caching is about finding a subtle hidden hide and keeping our activity unnoticeable.
"Another one is a trail that has a steep bank and you need to search the side of the bank and slowly the areas leaves branches get moved down toward the bottom is this damage, when you see that the neighbors have thrown their grass clipping, and some other garbage over their fence or
the area has a homeless tent shelter with their garbage around is this not more of a problem." --We can only be responsible for ourselves and can't use what non-cachers do as an excuse. We have traditionally held ourselves to a higher standard.

"What I'm trying to say is SOME CACHERS, think that leaves, small sticks,
small debree being moved around is destroying the area, I disagree I like to push back any debree that I move while searching just to leave the area as I found it. If cachers would use their eyes first, they may not need to pull all the debree away from every tree and root and stump."
- isn't it disheartening to see one of the basics "Lift, Look, Replace" is being ignored?

"What I think of as destroying an area is to trample through bushes, pulling moss off, pulling bark off trees. Making short cuts, will looking may create un needed trails, Try hiding your caches near trails or off an already used secondary trail." --amen and add breaking branches and that if a cache has been found why do later cachers have to trample plants etc that obviously don't need to be? Using the excuse "it will re-grow" when living things didn't need to be trampled in the first place due to hider's poor co-ords (and hint) and/or then folk who keep their eyes on the gpsr instead of using their eyes at GZ.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

If you are breaking branches you are in the wrong place. I figured that out on my second cache hunt.
Philatsea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Team K1W1 wrote:
If you are breaking branches you are in the wrong place. I figured that out on my second cache hunt.

That is not true, I was just reminded that spring has sprung in Arizona and new growth is very abundant.
The cache may have been placed when the growth was not very much but as we are into a new season more growth and possibly more damage that did not occur a short few months ago.

Phil
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

If you are breaking branches, you are in the wrong place, even if the cache is on the other side of the branches! No cache find is worth the destruction to the environment, post a note to the listing to let the owner know that the cache might no longer be accessible, and move on.
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Mach2003 wrote:
If you are breaking branches, you are in the wrong place, even if the cache is on the other side of the branches! No cache find is worth the destruction to the environment, post a note to the listing to let the owner know that the cache might no longer be accessible, and move on.

If someone posted on one of our caches that they 'moved on to another cache' because the natural habitat's recent growth impeded their ability to retrieve the cache you'd be picking me up off the floor! I sure wish we'd get logs like that - it would sure make my day!
MsChief-Gps_y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Nanos and Micros Reply with quote

Mrs Landsharkz wrote:" ...because the natural habitat's recent growth impeded their ability to retrieve the cache..."
That too (blackberries and nettles =shudder, lol) but I was referring to the breaking of tree branches. I had a cache once that was on one side of a cedar tree almost 6ft up. There was a natural open branch free space on that side that I took advantage of. All anyone had to do was go to that closest side which the majority did. But once or twice (all that was needed) the cache was reached for from the far side resulting in two snapped branches (one inch thick ones!) and the smaller side branching of the main horizontal branch were all snapped as someone forced their way to the cache instead of taking the visible easy route. It was disheartening and while ferns, salal etc will regrow in time (even though they shouldn't have to "re" grow), a tree does not regrow branches. Once a branch is broken, that's it. I was able to adjust the hide to prevent any more problems but the cache wasn't as safe from muggles.
I've come across it at other times and places. If the damage is fresh when I come upon it (as in my own placement) I carry gardening tape and can splint and bind the broken branch together. Then I return months later when it's healed and remove the binding. The branch will never be as strong as it was but it's still living.

As for the rest of your comment Mrs. L, I'd be on the floor too. And sending that cacher acknowledgments!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1