CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Help test a new voting system.
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver:  [?] . Coal Harbour near Stanley Park. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Caching Containers
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Help test a new voting system.
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
Help test a new voting system.
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Electronic Election Application Test.

I have created a new website function to allow electronic voting for BCGA elections.
www.bcgeocaching.com/i...A_Election

This tool allows all members to vote on various executive positions (and eventually referendum questions) and may be used for contests also.

When we started to determine the requirements for the application, some 'must haves' were outlined, and the complexity of the application became apparent as it was being developed and lot of scenarios presented themselves for consideration.

1) Privacy. Your actual vote data is private, the only link between you and your vote is the fact that you voted. The details of your vote are encrypted in a way that there is no way to associate your vote, to you unless you have the password you entered when you created your vote.

2) Auditing. When you vote, you enter a password that is encrypted and saved with your vote record. This is a 1-way encryption, using a 256 bit RIJNDAEL encryption. Only the original voter can re-enter their password to see if it matches their original password used to vote. This password is used to create an encrypted hash of your vote data that is stored with your vote. If you log on, and 'check your vote' you must reenter your password, your ID is decrypted, and your votes are re-hashed and checked against the original vote hash, if it does not match, it means someone modified the database, and you would inform the admin. We also hash our own encrypted version of a vote so we can validate the vote data has not changed.

3) Multiple Position Voting. A candidate may decide to run in more than one position. If that person is elected in a 'higher' position then they may not be voted in any following position. If a position has candidates that 'could be elected' in previous positions you are offered a 'ranking' of your choices. This way you do not lose a vote, you pick your first choice, second choice, third choice etc. The system will cast your vote for the next 'available' candidates in the order of your preference.

4) Acclamation. If there is only 1 person running for the position, they automatically win that vote.

5) Multiple Seats. In the directorship there are multiple seats available. In this case you rank your choices and the system will cast your vote for your top available candidates.

The software is not fully complete.
Functions that work:
Election Set up
Voting
Tallying
Results
Password/Vote encryption
Not done yet:
Auditing
Hash Validation.

I have set up an election test with test candidates to collect some test data, and insure the logic to collect and tally votes works as it should On the left menu you will see 'BCGA Election' Please click on the link and vote for the 'General Election Test'.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I may need to delete the election data occasionally to fix functions, if the system shows that you 'can vote' for any particular election, you may go ahead.

I will also Tally them, and show the results so you may see that function, as well as implement the referendum question voting, again experiment. Try to vote twice etc.

Please provide feedback in this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Current Results after 4 people voting...(more testers please!)..

Results for 2009 General Election Test closed on 2009-12-15
Position: President has 1 seat to be filled:

1. John Smithers with 4 votes. *Winner*

Position: Vice President has 1 seat to be filled:

1. Freddy Fudpucker with 3 votes. *Winner*
2. Richard N. Money with 1 votes.
3. Jane Dozey with 0 votes.

Position: Treasurer has 1 seat to be filled:

1. Ziggy Stardust with 4 votes. *Winner*
2. Jim Jones with 0 votes.

Position: Secretary has 1 seat to be filled:

1. Sally Williams with 3 votes. *Winner*
2. Jim Jones with 1 votes.

Position: Director has 5 seats to be filled:

1. Abby Gail with 4 votes. *Winner*
2. No-vote For-Me with 3 votes. *Winner*
3. Richard N. Money with 3 votes. *Winner*
4. Jane Dozey with 3 votes. *Winner*
5. Xavier Zooloo with 3 votes. *Winner*
6. Darrick Johnston with 2 votes.
7. Kerry Classan with 2 votes.
8. John Smithers - Elected in Previous Position. Does not qualify.
9. Sally Williams - Elected in Previous Position. Does not qualify.
10. Ziggy Stardust - Elected in Previous Position. Does not qualify.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Filled it out the ballot and submitted it and it said that my password should be at least 8 characters long (or something close) and would not let me record my vote. I said, "crud" and went to change my password as it was only 7 characters, then filled out the ballot again and it caught me trying to give two people the same ranking, then after fixing that issue let me record my ballot. I know this is only testing but perhaps the warning could be worded differently? "You must have a password that is at least 8 characters long in order for your vote to be recorded." or some such. Once that was taken care of I tried to cast a second ballot and it would not allow it.

Mr Kaswa
Mr Kaswa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Here it is about 5 minutes later and it dawns on me where I was going wrong with the passkey business Smack Nevermind,, all apolgies, please forgive etc etc.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. K!
I change our candidaets names (I was goofing off)..
Current standings:

Position: President has 1 seat to be filled:
Johnny Cache with 9 votes. *Winner*

Position: Vice President has 1 seat to be filled:
Freddy Fudpucker with 5 votes. *Winner*

Jane A.M.O. Can with 3 votes.

Sye N.D. Log with 1 votes.

Position: Treasurer has 1 seat to be filled:
Ziggy Stardust with 8 votes. *Winner*

T.B. Bison with 1 votes.

Position: Secretary has 1 seat to be filled:
L. Lock. with 5 votes. *Winner*

T.B. Bison with 4 votes.

Position: Director has 5 seats to be filled:
Barry Well Hidden with 8 votes. *Winner*

Tuuk Nut'n with 7 votes. *Winner*

Donut Find with 6 votes. *Winner*

Eff T. Eff with 6 votes. *Winner*

Jane A.M.O. Can with 5 votes. *Winner*

Sye N.D. Log with 4 votes.

Cash M.A. Chine with 4 votes.

Johnny Cache - Elected in Previous Position. Does not qualify.

L. Lock. - Elected in Previous Position. Does not qualify.

Ziggy Stardust - Elected in Previous Position. Does not qualify.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

I've added the vote validation. You can go to the voting page, find a previously voted election, select validate , enter your voting password and it will verify the data has not changed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Ive updated some functions, cleared the test data. Please try this again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

I closed off the current test vote, you can go to the test-elections page and see the results.

Did anybody try to 'validate their vote' ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

I did and I had to go find that encrypted password that I couldn't remember 4 minutes later.. lol

It let me go back in and see what I had voted for..
Off Road Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

I had no problem with the validation either. Seems to work fine on this end.
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help test a new voting system. Reply with quote

Validation and election results are working great for me too.

Thank You Mr. _canadianbacon_, great work!

Off Topic: Welcome to the forums Off Road Explorer, gotta love that post number 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1