CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Knockan Hill Park
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Pacific Dogwood
Pacific Dogwood:  [?] . Rumoured to be Queen Elizabeth II's favourite flower, the Pacific Dogwood was designated British Columbia's floral emblem in 1956. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Gold Country
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» Regional —» Vancouver Island —» Knockan Hill Park
toplefttopfilltopright
Knockan Hill Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs_Landsharkz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Knockan Hill Park Reply with quote

We've had an 'issue' arise very recently in Knockan Hill Park in View Royal. Folks are e-mailing me/us asking what's up, so this is probably a good place to let everyone know that we're working on it...

Background: Yesterday mtn-man asked us to archive our daughter's cache called 'Clean Up Your Act' because the landowner has asked for all caches to be removed. This is one of the most Park Friendly caches you could find! We complied and archived the cache online and today I went over and removed it.

We have been told that the Friends of Knockan Hill Society has some concerns which caused this 'reaction' and so Chris and I will be talking to the landowner and seeing if we can find out what their concerns are and how we can work with them. We don't really know anything more at this point but we will keep you advised. Supposedly they asked for 'both' the caches in the park to be removed... as the locals know 'both' barely covers it... Wink

I'd like to suggest that we keep our activity in this park to a minimum, during daylight hours only, until this issue is resolved. We'll report back here once we have met with the landowner.

Helen
Draglings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Knockan Hill Park Reply with quote

We have to say we find these encroaching so called "land manager policies" in public parks disturbing to say the least. The essence of a public park is to allow a place for people of all walks of life to go and play and have fun. Play, fun and PUBLIC being the operative keywords. Public parks are not museums they are not art displays, these land use policies are becoming extremely restrictive, hyper-sensensitive and give no incentive for anyone to get outside into the parks and have fun, jumping through hoops to plant a cache and enjoy the park is not an option. Why should any of us want to even set foot in that park or any park that have such policies ever again? Good Grief!

If the so-called friends of parks want to keep people out put up a fence and signs that say "look through the glass but don't touch" and certainly don't interact with nature because this is only a ZOO. Come on now, this is getting ridiculous, especially to take it out on geocachers who for the most part respect the land and the parks, we're there to enjoy and not destroy, we even CITO the area which is more than I can say for some people, what's with that? Parks should be promoting caching, not hindering it, this is retarded. Give us break!

FELLOW CACHERS we've got plenty of other places we can find to place a hide and play with our gpsr's without ever having to step one foot in a park or jump through hoops to do so ever again. If this is how it is fine, we're game, you see parks people and friends of parks, we don't need your parks to play in, we can have fun all on our own, hell we can make a hide anywhere, we can even fit a log in a syringe if we have to and it's not like they are hard to come by. What a joke, KEEP OUT! Heaven forbid we go into a park at night.

What kind of insane society is this world creating. Looking into our crystal ball we see the future, restrictions on parks, types of parks, in this park you can have unrestricted play but don't expect anyone to ever clean it up and oh, "enter at your own risk", some city parks already come to mind, oh and in these other parks "Don't touch, these are only our model DISPLAY parks, just there to look good only, they come complete with plastic wrap just like momma use to put on her sofa in the living room we weren't allowed to use". Keep it up people you're doing great!

What kind of ridiculous message does this send our kids and teens who were only out enjoying some good healthy fun and activity. Hey kids, you're not allowed to play or hide a cache and have fun in that park, go hang out on the street corner and do some drugs, that'll be a way better activity place for you.
GeoHackers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Knockan Hill Park Reply with quote

I am curious about the park as I have removed our cache as well, at least archived it ... will remove as soon as I can get there in the daylight.

Are the parks "owned" by the municipality? I can understand "friends of the park" wanting to keep it clean but I know I have taken trash out of it every time we have walked up with Matthew. Now I can not speak for all geocachers but I know every cacher I have ever seen was caching without a Kokanee in their hand. This leads me to believe that there may be others who are dropping cans in the park. I have however seen cachers carrying out garbage. I think the "friends" need to reconsider who the real friends of the park are.

Too bad really that you have other places in Canada promoting geocaching as a tourism opportunity and "the best place on earth" is having people work to ban some of the best parks.

GeoHackers
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Vancouver Island
Page 1 of 1