CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Setting the newsletter to "no"
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
Alpine Meadow
Alpine Meadow:  [?] . In the summer, alpine meadows across British Columbia burst into colour. [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Landsharkz Coins and Geocaching Gear
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» BCGA —» Website Questions —» Setting the newsletter to "no"
toplefttopfilltopright
Setting the newsletter to "no"
Questions, comments and suggestions about this website? Post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Kaswa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

Now that there is an actual newsletter, if I set my newsletter subscription to "no" for the new cache updates, do I lose the newsletter too?

I'm awful at looking right over the answer to something so I apologize in advance if I missed it.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

That depends on if the person sends the newsletter to those with the 'newsletter' turn on, or to 'all' or 'bcga members'...

But if they are sending to 'subscribed' and you turn if off, you will not get alerts or anything sent to the 'subscribed' users.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

The news letter says that it can be turned off, so it should not be sent to "all". Still that means that it is an all or nothing kinda thing.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

When sending out newsletters, the author can select various groups. This are mutually exclusive. It can be 'All' website users, Any User Group (ie BCGA Members) or 'News Letter Subscribed'.

The 'subscribed' selection is not on top of any of the other selections, ie,
if they sent out to 'BCGA Members' and some members had 'no' on news letter, they would still get it.

They can explicity send newsletters to those that have 'yes' on that option.

The Cache alerts are strickly by newsletter=Y and a BCGA Member.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

Fine and dandy but

The newsletter says to change "no" if I do not want it, but if I do that I also lose cache alerts even if I want those.

Cache alerts say to change to "no" if I do not want those, but by doing this I also lose the news letter even if I want it.

So since I am unable to opt out of one thing without losing both at the same time it is all or nothing.
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

We intend to send the newsletter only to users that have the "newsletter" option set to YES. Unfortunatly this same setting is used for BCGA Members who want to control cache alerts.

Bottom line: You can not have one without the other.

The newsletter is a once-a-month issue, and the bulk of the content is stored online here, making the actual newsletter email as small as possible. Some people might have to ignore one email a month, in order for the rest of you to get the newsletter anouncement. The newsletter staff is working hard to create a newsletter that most cachers will enjoy reading. The first newsletter was just that, a first test run, wait and see what it looks like after a few issues go out.

Sorry folks, but the site, just does not have two options here, and unless this is a problem for most members, I don't see dedicating a lot of resources to solve it.
Mr Kaswa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

Ok, that's what I was thinking, I just wished to be sure that I was not missing some option somewhere. I'm not arguing that the whole site should be redone just to get one little drop down option, I agree that would be just plain silly. I also appreciate all the work that is done to make it as good as it is.

I do actually dispute one thing that you said tho, "Some people might have to ignore one email a month, in order for the rest of you to get the newsletter anouncement.", In fact I would like to get the newsletter both to see whats happening and as a reminder to come and take a look at the rest of the site, whereas I really do not want the cache notifications, so in reality I will have to ignore quite a few more emails than 1 a month. (yes I know I am probably in the minority on this, and yes I do filter them as they come in.)
Mach2003dead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

Mr Kaswa: You are so correct! Here I was only thinking in my head again. I should try harder to think like everyone I have signed on to serve, thanks for pointing that out!

Of course the opposite (to what I said above) is true, with only one setting: You could want the newsletter, and not the alerts, therby getting many, many more emails a month than desired.

I wonder how many members, would want the newsletter, and not the alerts? Like _canadianbacon_ said, we can send out the newsletter to other "groups", and therby ignore the "newsletter" option for the newsletter (I know it sounds silly). This effectivly would make the existing setting "Cache Alerts (Yes/No)".

Did I forget to think of another combination?
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

I have an option. I could just print out the newsletter and run about 150 feet and put in Mr. Kaswa's mailbox. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the newsletter to "no" Reply with quote

The site has been changed to accomidate the two options!

See _canadian_bacon_'s post here
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» Website Questions
Page 1 of 1