CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) British Columbia Geocaching Association —» Forums —» General Caching —» General —» POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names?
Home Newest Caches Forums Your Account About BCGA Search Blitz  
More Roadside Attractions
More Roadside Attractions:  [?] . Caribou Sam in Cache Creek [M | C]  Largest Burr in Port McNeil [M | C]  The Peach in Penticton [M | C]  Smokey Bear in Revelstoke [M | C]  Orcas in Victoria [M | C]  Bathtub in Nanaimo [M | C]  Largest Cuckoo in Kimberley [M | C]  The Head in Revelstoke [M | C
Toggle Content=  Register or Login  Please Join our Association 
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Our Sponsors
Worldcaching.com
Worldcaching.comLandsharkz Coins and Geocaching GearGold CountryCaching Containers
bottomleft bottomfill bottomright
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Waypoints
topleft topfill topright
Toggle Content Coming Events
Forums —» General Caching —» General —» POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names?
topleft topfill topright
LOG-IN DIFFICULTIES
Please be advised that we are currently having problems with some of our users not being able to log into the site. We apologize for this, we are working to address the situation. Thank you for your patience

Thank You
BCGA Executive

toplefttopfilltopright
POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names?
If you have questions/comments about geocaching in general or anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, post them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tulameen_Turtles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Now I know Jordy and I are different - as we can't stand to be apart and consider caching without one another cheating on each other.. and only to be done in the most dire of circumstances - so there is no way we would have created seperate caching accounts - we are a team & use this to improve our relationship, teamwork and communication skills . With both of our competitive natures I can not imagine 2 accounts. (thats why we had to get a 2nd gps and 2 flashlights.. lol - did I mention building teamwork)

So why do you have a seperate cache account then your other half? (We do understand for some - such as not in a marriage situation - if we splilt up what do we do with custody of the geocache account - who would want to recreate those finds - hmm does geocache offer divorce seperation services.. lol)

So out of curiosity if you and your other half have seperate accounts - why? Candid answers please - and if you no longer see the need for them why don't you merge them? - you guys must have done a fair amount of the same ones..
Love Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

We only have one account. We started geocaching together and we will continue to do so. I cannot even think about getting my own account. Once Lisa's foot has healed she will be able to start caching with me once again. For the past few years she has not been able to walk but has encoraged me to continue.
Do you reaaly think Iwould call myself Love Bugs? But the two of us together that is what and who we are. The past six years has ben great, that is how long I have known Lisa and we have been married 5 1/2 years. We will continue to cache together. I cannot think why and couples would cache under seperate names, but then I cannot think why they would have seperate bank accounts either.

Bug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

When it came to Best Red and I it was just simply the fact that I started caching first. You see the Tite Line gals got me into caching when I worked with them. I went out with them the first few times as well as a couple on my own and started my cache count. The wife didn't seem too interested at the time as she had her own passionate hobby of Scrapbooking. Rolling Eyes

Finally a couple months later I convinced her to drive me to a cache with the kids and she agreed but only to take pictures and stated it had to be a flat and short walk. Well as soon as we got to the cache area the kids and I searched for the cache when Dustanne starts making suggestions to the kids where to look. One of the kids found it and they went nuts as usual so very excited to get it open and see what they can trade for. Well that was it Dustanne looks at me and says let me have that GPS I want to find the next one. We get to the next cache location and off we go. As we are walking down the trail Dustanne kept coming over and asking questions about what to do to get there. We eventually get within 20ft and I said ok think about a giant 20ft circle all around you and start looking in the circle. She starts and within a few seconds gleefully yells I found it. As Dustanne is opening the cache container I watch her in the background with a Very Happy as I knew she was hooked and this was going to get expensive. That very night we went to the store to buy her a GPS. Actually I lucked out there as I somehow convinced her my Etex Legend HCX was smaller and better suited for her and I was able to upgrade to the GPSMAP60CX.

It was at that point we discussed the joint account thing and she says to me no way I want to find my own and have my own caches people can find. Thus we both have names and believe it is more satisfying to each have our own caches we think up and place separately. As for finding caches yes 99% of the time we cache together but I like having those 50 or so caches more than her lol Wink . She will probably catch up and pass me one day but I’m ok with that. Rolling Eyes

So all in all I think for us it's the thinking up and placing of our own cache that we enjoy having with our separate accounts. It's kind of neat reading the logs people write about what they liked about your creativity or the great location you found ect. That's how I perceive the events that got us to where we are in having separate accounts. Dustanne might have a few other reasons to add so I will let her give her own account of the story.
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Simple answer. Catapult Jeff and who? Oh Mrs Catapult. That was how Kathy was known until October last year. Always Mrs Catapult. So when she wanted to joined the BCGA she needed a name. So she picked one. And that is how she is known now. She even had someone come up to her at Geowoodstock in May and say " Oh you're Iron Maiden! I love your name." So she is a somebody now.

Yes having two accounts is hard sometimes. We did 23 caches today (including 6 pack shack) and we must log them all for both of us. So that takes extra time.

As for caching without each other, that happened about "250 finds" this year. I have 8 weeks of vacation is year coming up and she only has two. You better believe I will spend at least half of that time caching. the other on home improvements.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Basically TESKELLY hit the nail on the head, but he forgot to mention that I don't work, and I can go caching on my own while he is at work. Luckily for this summer he was off and we could go together, but when he finds work again, I am going to be on my own.
I won't let him go without me on his own, nope, no way....lol Ah heck, if it is with the 'guys' (:wink:-Jeff) Cache on!
I just won't let him go with the kids, by himself or Titelines without me....hee hee Razz

It was brought up one time about those people who are single with their 'handle' and those who are a couple and their 'handle'
The single person is one person looking for a cache each time as the couple could either be both or just one person from the couple looking for the cache. Therefore the single person logs the find but when the cople logns the find, it doesn't always mean that both have found the cache.

What is the thought on that?

PS...If we were to put our names together, I would gain those 60 caches of his, and wouldn't we have to enter each cache again by hand to the new name (handle)????

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

We just log all finds under 1 account. That's because I (d-onion) will always go caching with or without yawningcat. And yawningcat will never cache without d-onion. Plus she likes the hunt and not the actual logging of caches online.

If she were to have a desire to sometimes cache on her own, then I would have suggested a separate account, but to now go back and log 900+ caches would just be too much.

So if both of us find it together the cache log online is simply signed with both our names in the log. The 10% that I may find without yawningcat would just be signed with my name.
_canadianbacon_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

My wifey does not even know where the on button is on the GPS.. so that makes it pretty simple for us!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

_canadianbacon_ wrote:
My wifey does not even know where the on button is on the GPS.. so that makes it pretty simple for us!

ooooooooooh is that like the TV remote?
Popoki_Iti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Although we often cache together, Popoki Nui frequently caches while on a bike ride. (Can't get on my bike now, the dust is about 10 feet deep on the saddle!) That is why we have separate accounts. When we cache together, we get to the general area and then compete to see who comes up with the cache first. It is the only way I will ever get a FTF!! We note in our logs whose sticky mitts made the grab. We also move away from the cache before announcing "Bingo," "Found it," or whatever the word of the day is to allow the other to make the find.
Happy Caching!
Bestred

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

d-onion wrote:

If she were to have a desire to sometimes cache on her own, then I would have suggested a separate account, but to now go back and log 900+ caches would just be too much.

So if you change your name you have to re-enter all those caches? Scary!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

All you have to do if you want to change your name is to e-mail Geocache.com with the new cache name you would like to use and they can change it.

You would do this for the account that had the most caches - then just "relog" the ones that weren't done under that account (so in some cases that may only be 60)

At least this way there aren't any ethical issues that the other half would have to wrestle with such as - If you've done all the work for a puzzle cache - do you let your spouse come and claim it without doing the work? I know if my other half insisted on having their own account - then they should get there own answers - if they want the credit under their name then they should do the work -

The way I see it is if I was to hike 7 hours up a mountain and you could get internet and beam a person in would you let them claim the find? - What's the difference between that and 7 hours on a puzzle cache - But keep in mind that in my spare time I debate Ethics of Kant, Dabrowki and others so I'm a bit opinionated - but this is not the place to have that conversation as we loose the human intonation - a better place is over beer for any ethical debate

The benefit of being a team is that you work together with your spouse, and we can be two places at the same time.. he can be at the cabin feeding Twitchy and keeping from killing someone on the job site and I can be dragging out Val at 5 AM to do a nightcache..

But then again the only caches we do apart are the easy drive up city caches which don't give much to an adventure for us - anything that has meaning is always done together -

Anyway time for bed and watch Jordy play with his new RC .. lol and I've got a huge fundraiser to run tomorrow anyone need to make a United Way Donation I've got a goal of $35,000 over the next 10 days- so need sleep
Bestred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Very Happy I so agree about a place that serves beer! Very Happy

Thanks for the information about the name change as that sounds so much easier!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

LordEd and I have different accounts because we don't always cache together. He has some in Alberta that I haven't found. I have around 25 more hides than he does. I don't always hide caches when he's with me and vice versa.
Catapult Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Groundspeak gave us a Christmas gift today. Iron Maiden and I have become one account. We are now Catapult Jeff and Iron Maiden. Long name I know so CJ/IM will be the quick sign.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

Well my wife has little interest but is warming up to caching. One thing I have noticed is with seperate accounts you are able to find each others caches. I also believe I should log some of my caches as finds ,when I go back for maintance and ithey have been moved and now I need to do some searching. lol we have all had this happen. But with a shared account I guess you could still log each others caches, the stats are for, no one else. It would be alot like logging a cache twice, when the owner has moved it and has stated you can find again.

Merry Christmas Everyone........
Bestred

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

[quote="gearhedd"] One thing I have noticed is with seperate accounts you are able to find each others caches. quote]

Well Kelly is usually with me and helping me place mine so he should get the find if he can't get the hide....lol
I am usually there with Kelly when he hides his and I could just go back and find it later and claim the find, but since I was there, why bother? LOL
Kelly has made me find those that I wasn't there for, just to claim the find.
He has two in Stringer that I wasn't there for and I haven't claimed them. Have to get him to drive me up there....lol

Not sure how couple with the same account could claim each others hides as it is one account.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: POLL: Why do couples cache under seperate names? Reply with quote

We cache under the same name (all five of us) because we always cache together, and my husband would never log his finds if he had his own account.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index —» General
Page 1 of 1